Vive la Belgique!

Flanders to Netherlands, Wallonia to France, Brussels as International Capital of Europe!

La Flandre aux Pays Bas, Wallonia vers la France, Bruxelles en tant que capital international de l'Europe!
Flandern nach die Niederlande, Wallonien nach Frankreich, Brüssel als internationales Kapital von Europa!
Vlaanderen naar Nederland, Wallonië naar Frankrijk, Brussel als Internationale Hoofdstad van Europa!
Flandria ad Batavia, Wallonia ad Francia, Bruxellae ut Caput Internationale Europae!
Flandern til Nederland, Vallonia til Frankrike, Brussel som internasjonal europeisk hovedstad!
/thread

Personally, I find it disturbing that so many people here seem to take it upon themselves to partition a country that isn't even theirs.

Well, people are allowed to hold their opinion on the politics of other countries. The partition opition comes from the fact that intercommunity drama takes up lot of time and energy that could be used elsewhere, that might be better to end the drama once and for all. But how knows. Maybe they should guess put it to a referendum and see how it goes.

The partition opition comes from the fact that intercommunity drama takes up lot of time and energy that could be used elsewhere, that might be better to end the drama once and for all.
I'm sorry, but if you divide Belgium on two (or three or four) and re-unite Flanders with the Netherlands, you will get similar problems as there are now between Flanders and Wallonia. Sure we have the the same language (more or less), but in the past 178 we have also grown apart in a lot of areas. That's why reunification is not an option for me. The Flemish population and economy is big enough to stand on its own (with or without Brussels).
About the referendum option: there have been opinion polls about whether the country should be separated. But while the number of people that wants separation is increasing (even in Wallonia), they still are not getting a majority. On the other hand, in the last elections, the parties that are either separatist (Vlaams Belang, NVA) or in favour of a "confederal model" (CD&V, LDD) had about 55% of the Flemish vote.
All this makes that it is nearly impossible to form a cohesive government to rule the country (or rather: the two countries...)

But the biggest problem will always be: what to do with Brussels?...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7804882.stm

we have a new government :) ...which looks a remarkable lot like the old one, except for
- a new PM (Herman Van Rompuy, CD&V)
- a new justice minister (Stefaan De Clerck, CD&V)
- a new minister of interior affairs (Guido De Padt, VLD)
- the previous interior minister Patrick De Wael becomes the new speaker of the house
- a new minister for civil servant affairs (Steven Vanackere, CD&V)

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redactie.english/news/081230_VanrompuyI

The government was sworn in today by the King and will be approved by the parliament on Friday

*bookmarks thread to bump it in 5 months, when this new government falls*

so Van Rompuy finally caved in, heh... Of course the dissapearing of vandeursen is too bad, stefaan de Clerck is not really my cup of tea, and i live in the city he is mayor in. Kortrijk is horrid.

so Van Rompuy finally caved in, heh... Of course the dissapearing of vandeursen is too bad, stefaan de Clerck is not really my cup of tea, and i live in the city he is mayor in. Kortrijk is horrid.
I hope Vandeurzen can get his name cleared soon in the parliamentary commission that will investigate the Fortis-affaire. I think he will be missed in the governement (unlike some of the others that went :rolleyes: )

Maybe he can go study abroad to get a degree from some prestigious university and then return to politics, like that other former party-chairman :mischief:

*bookmarks thread to bump it in 5 months, when this new government falls*
They lasted 12 months longer than you expected, but today PM Yves Leterme once again went to King Albert to hand in his resignation... :(
This time the Flemish Liberal Democrats decided to leave the government, after the flemish and wallonian parties could not get an agreement about constitutional reform. These negotiations have been going on since the last elections in 2007. At the end of last year, King Albert asked former PM Jean-Luc Dehaene (Flemish Christian-Democrat) to negotiate. His task was supposed to end at Easter, but he couldn't get an agreement either.

Flanders to Netherlands, Wallonia to France, Brussels as International Capital of Europe!

La Flandre aux Pays Bas, Wallonia vers la France, Bruxelles en tant que capital international de l'Europe!
Flandern nach die Niederlande, Wallonien nach Frankreich, Brüssel als internationales Kapital von Europa!
Vlaanderen naar Nederland, Wallonië naar Frankrijk, Brussel als Internationale Hoofdstad van Europa!
Flandria ad Batavia, Wallonia ad Francia, Bruxellae ut Caput Internationale Europae!
Flandern til Nederland, Vallonia til Frankrike, Brussel som internasjonal europeisk hovedstad!

As true today as it was a year and a half ago.

They lasted 12 months longer than you expected, but today PM Yves Leterme once again went to King Albert to hand in his resignation... :(
This time the Flemish Liberal Democrats decided to leave the government, after the flemish and wallonian parties could not get an agreement about constitutional reform. These negotiations have been going on since the last elections in 2007. At the end of last year, King Albert asked former PM Jean-Luc Dehaene (Flemish Christian-Democrat) to negotiate. His task was supposed to end at Easter, but he couldn't get an agreement either.

Yves Leterme and Jan-Peter Balkenende are good friends of each other. They actually make a good pair as neither of them can hold a government together.

Did you find it disturbing back when 90% of the people here on CFC applauded taking Kosovo from Serbia and recognizing its independence? I honestly don't remember, so nothing personal here, just an observation.
Yes, because Kosovo and Belgium are so similar it's uncanny.

Top Bottom