Vpr5- April Fool's!

Sorry, I had computer problems yesterday night - generally reffered to as a lil bro. brb with the turns played ;)

Things I plan on doing:
- tighten up the cities
- increase Rome's population count: extra gold could be useful
- A worker or 2
- Get barracks up
- fix the turn count to be an even number (will send a save at the end of the 50th turn, now is 1 turn short of a multiple of 10, thus the weird date; someone played 1 turn less than should have).

Notes: Veii placement was good because you squeeze in 2 automatic food from the desert, which is good.
- I'll send workers to road stuff up, we need those cities to be "closer" from one another
- I'll settle on the hill NE of the incense and road it up to there with a worker

2190 BC Groucho attacks, Harpo fortifies, budget to 80/10, philo in 15. Rome now makes a worker for the future incense city byu fresh water. Settler towards that spot. Overall micromanagement.
2150 BC Groucho fortifies. Budget to 80/20.
2110 BC Rome worker->warrior. Budget to 80/10. Cumae settled by the lake, a worker is underway for a road to the incense. Rome worker has roaded the bonus grass, now going to road up to Veii and wines. We don't need the extra shields right now.
2070 BC Groucho healed up, moving to a new city's spot by river, we'll have closer coastal cities so I chose river over coast. 80/20 budget.
2030 BC Rome warrior->barracks, used for MP; gonna have a working factory after a bit of micro. 80/10 budget. Harpo is now a veteran, thanks to chubby the Thracian conscript.
1990 BC Budget to 80/20, philo in a stunning 7 turns (it went fast from then ;)) Harpo resting, Groucho out hunting.
1950 BC Groucho kills a 1HP barb, resting before an assault on a Ligurian conscript.
1910 BC Rome rax->worker, next will be 4 turn settlers, as used to be, but with more population = more gold = faster research. Curragh is out and heading north. 1 worker out of Cumae. Portugal learned masonry. Harpo found spices south !
1870 BC Rome worker-> settler. Send Verminus from rome east to explore the country there. Groucho sacks 25 gold off the Ligurians. Portugal sends out a city squad north-west.
1790 BC Verminus finds spices east ! next city is gonna be headed that way.
1750 BC Budget to 30/20, Philo in 1 turn. Rome will be size 5 and will produce a settler next turn. And in 4 turns if micro'ed properly ;) Blue (Babylonian?) border seen afar. Portuguese city squad heading for OUR spices.

TO THE NEXT IN THE ROSTER
-We shouold decide together on what to do with philosophy.
-Don't touch Rome for this turn, but after that you'll have heavy work to do on sharing the cows with Cumae (if you do), and micro it every turn - it is a more shabby 4-turn factory that way, but we research almost twice as fast as when I took it -> we'll get rich :king:
-Settler sent east *will* win the race for spices, so send him far enough that we can backfill the spot with an extra city between rome and the spices. I'd continue roading east for it.
-Groucho might have to do town bodyguard against barbs, so his hunting life might be over.
-Once the incense are roaded, those 2 workers could be more useful if split between roading/tile working.

Picture attached in the next post.

I added several plausible city locations, and I guess we could use that map for future references; I put more than less, I wouldn't intend to use them all myself. 1st priority should be the pink spot, IMHO. Light blue, teal and light green come 2nd to my mind. Light blue could be our only very productive coastal city, so I'd give it special attention.

By the end of the next player's 10 turns, it isn't possible that all but a few cities be connected with furs, incense, wines and spices. That means 0% luxury ... wow. We might want to irrigate around the 2 NW towns to make a bunch of workers from there.

Now for opinions: we have a 4-turn factory, now we need workers and warriors. I've waited long to trade for writing in the hope of another civ, and we have got one. The next moves will most surely give us a few brilliant Xfers off our monopoly on writing, philosophy and ... what other tech, CoL?

I say we take CoL and head for republic at minimal speed, using our gold to buy stuff off babs and ports, and eventually buy units and upgrades but that's just me, you guys might want to hurry more for republic, or beeline to currency.

Just don't forget to have fun ;)

I agree with taking COL, then researching Republic. We should be able to trade for BW and Iron, then start putting out some Legionaries. I haven't looked at the save yet, but it sounds like we are short on workers (especially for this variant where we are not allowed to keep any slaves). I am at work so I cannot really look at the dot map yet. One spot we may want to consider is the mountain 3 NW of Rome (on the lake, and it gives us cxxc spacing to 4 other cities).

Great job, Beorn! I haven't looked at the save, so I won't comment on what to get with Philo.

But that's probably the Mayans. They are blue (at least in my games), while Babylonians are red (darker than Rome, I think).

Babs alternate color is dark blue, and we happen to be red :p

Preturn- Rome will riot if I don't put lux to 30%, I think.
IBT- Portugal drops in and demands Writing. I think he's bluffing, so no thanks. Henry backs down. Philo--> CoL --> Republic. Science to 10%. Rome Settler-->Settler, Veii Worker-->Barracks
Contact Babylon. Get Bronze Working, Masonry, and Ceremonial Burial from them for Writing and 32 gold. I don't want Babylon to trade with Portugal, so pay them 61 gold and Writing for Iron Working. Neaopolis is sitting right on iron, so we need a road there ASAP.
IBT- Neapolis Barracks-->Legion
IBT- Cumae Barracks-->Warrior. Portugese start Colossus.
Groucho raids a barb camp and is elite now. Found Pompeii next to the spices, start Barracks.
IBT- Rome Settler-->Settler
Send the settler to Beorn's turquoise dot, which Portugal will settle if I don't.
IBT- A barb shows up. I doubt this will work...
IBT- Cumae Warrior-->Warrior. Henry builds an embassy.
Found Pisae on Beorn's turquoise dot, start Barracks. Warrior near Pompeii dies.
IBT- Rome Settler-->Settler. He'll go to the light green dot to make sure Portugal doesn't take it. Road to Neapolis is connected, Cumae changes to Legionary. Pompeii is ransacked.
Move a worker to build a road where the barbs are and discover they're back!

Looks like we are in good shape here! Got it.

Viper-5 1500BC

Pre-turn:
- Cities look good. We have 134G, make +13 gpt, Republic is due in 41 turns.
- Our forces consist of 1 settler, 5 workers, 6 warriors and 1 curragh.
- Portugal and Babaylon are both up TW, but down Phil. and COL.

<IBT: We lose a worker in NW to a barb; barb horses are showing up.>

Turn 1 1475:
- Move warriors around to protect workers from barbs. Pompeii will be sacked, but it cannot be helped.

<IBT: Barb sacks Pompeii, progress on rax is lost; Antium rax => legionary.>

Turn 2 1450:
- Move a warrior back to Rome and upgrade to legionary.
- Upgrade Groucho to legionary (we need some muscle to deal with the barb camp on the light green dot).

<IBT: Rome settler => settler.>

Turn 3 1425:
- Kill a barb horse.
- New settler is heading for the dark blue dot S-S-S-SW from Rome.
- Groucho and settler hole up in Neapolis for the turn (2 barbs are next to the city).
- Warn Henry to withdraw settler pair from our lands.

<IBT: Groucho defeats barb horse; Portugal and Babylon both start Pyramids.>

Turn 4 1400:
- Groucho and settler headed for the light green dot.
- Harpo and settler headed for the dark blue dot.

<IBT: Veii rax => legionary.>

Turn 5 1375:
- Groucho pops barb camp for 25G; settler follows him to city site.
- Upgrade another warrior to legionary.
- Harpo and settler move into place.

<IBT: Neapolis legionary => legionary.>

Turn 6 1350:
- Ravenna founded on light green dot.
- Haspalis founded on dark blue dot.
- Upgrade another warrior to legionary.
- Make deal with Henry, get TW for 8 gpt (I have no intention of honoring the deal). I follow up with a move or declare ultimatum, but Henry backs down.
- We have horses by the orange dot.

<IBT: Rome settler => settler; get the message for the FP.>

Turn 7 1325:
- New settler headed towards the medium blue dot.

<IBT: Cumae legionary => legionary; Pisae rax => legionary.>

Turn 8 1300:
- Move some legionaries into position to sneak attack Portugal next turn.

<IBT: Get ultimatum from Henry to move or declare, and we are at war.>

Turn 9 1275:
- Legionary kills a warrior, triggering GA.
- Lose a legionary attacking Guimaraes; second one kills the spear but redlines (a fresh spear is underneath).

<IBT: Portugal sends a lone sword towards us; Rome settler => legionary.>

Turn 10 1250:
- Move new settler and legionary to Pisae, headed for the orange dot.

Recap:
- Rome is building a legionary before the next settler to avoid dropping to size 3 (settler completes in 3 turns during GA).
- I don’t like triggering a despotic GA, but Republic is still a long way off and our mighty legions can handle Portugal pretty easily. Anyway, we are required to break any gpt deals, I figured we might as well do so before paying out any more gpt. Both Babylon and Portugal are pretty pissed off right now, which was my intention.

Roster:
Bigfoot => just played
BigNHuge => UP
IroquoisPlisken => on deck
Beorn-eL-Feared
viper275

this is my got it

Bigfoot, I agree with your decision to attack Portugal. I'm not exactly sure why, but everyone on this continent is really weak, so we might as well conquer it early.

And just to remind us of what's been done:

Check for happy AIs and GPT/resource/ROP deals.

Do you have any foreign workers or artillery? AFAIK we don't.

Phony peace treaty done for this age? No. Portugal? Or maybe Babylon?

Got Intelligence Agency? No.

Have we been a Republic/Democracy? Not yet, but we will be.

And IroquoisPlisken is on deck.

Yep, I agree with the war. But I like early wars anyway. :) With our Legions, Portugal and Babylon will not take long.

Oh, and to Beorn, I see I was wrong. :)

If Big can get his turns up by tomorrow, I can play tomorrow afternoon, but otherwise, I won't be able to play until Monday or Tuesday. A friend is coming to visit, so I won't get any time to play, most likely. Unless he doesn't mind me playing.

@iroquiosplisken- I should have it tonight, as im going somewhere tomorrow.
@the team- Our conquering of Portugul is with out a doubt going to happen, but were gonna need a bit of a bigger force to deal with babylon. I dont like attacking another civ who can have a GA around the same time we can. :( (Bowman are pretty dang sweet.)

Turn 0 (1250BC)- The only thing I did was i upgraded a warrior into a Legionary in Pisae.

IBT- A Portuguese sword attacks the legionary near Oporto. He holds and goes veteran. He wins for the Boys back home, the 2 defensive men in towns. :) Pompeii Barracks->Legionary. A barb will have an easy walk in to Neaopolis, nothing can be done in time.

Turn 1 (1225BC)- I send one of the legions in Pisae to deal with a barbarian camp right next door. Position only one legion in attack range of Guimaraes. The other one is going to heal. Found Viroconium. Nothing else to do.

IBT- I notice that i hit shift enter on a settler in a town that i didnt think was safe to move just yet, and of course didnt get to attack with our legion up north. :( Cumae is pillaged, losing our work on legion. Antium Legion-Legion.

Turn 2 (1200BC)- *The assult on Guimaraes*- Before I start this i have to note that i had to whip a legion in Neapolis to calm the barb threat, we should be ok for 2 turns from now, a barb walked in on the IBT and cant be helped, we cant lose gold/work everyturn. Back to the assult. The legionary attacks and wins, goes elite, and exposes their next line of defense, the dreaded... warrior. What is up with these countries, are we playing Warlord! *The assult on Oporto*- The Legionary finally gets his wish to attack and he wins flawlessly, ahh but another one of them spearmens be behind him. Better than seeing an all warrior defense. :D The removing of the barbarians in the east went smoothly, and a settler will be in position rrll rrll soon. Troop movement, etc.

IBT- A portuguese sword kills a retreating legion, he'll die next turn! Barbs sack viroconium for a whoping 8 gold. Neopolis Legion->Legion. Rome goes size 5.

Turn 3 (1175BC)- *The assult on Guimaraes*- The Elite legion attacks and destroys the city, it was size 1 no culture. 2 workers come to us from a settler, I kill them with a vengence for our falling legionary. OMG THAT SWORD IS THE LUCKIEST SOB EVER, HE KILLED AN ATTACKING 4/4 LEGION!!!!!!! *The assult on Oporto*- The RNG hates me today. I swear. The legion dies to a sword behind a 1 city. This is too frustrating.

IBT- Rome Legion->Legion.

Turn 4 (1150BC)- *The assult on Lagos*- A portuguese city in OUR LANDS. This will not stand, i hope. The spear dies, leaving a half-dead warrior all by himself. Found Lugdunum. Set to barracks.

IBT- Hispalis Barracks->Warrior, linking the city up now.

Turn 5 (1125BC)- *The assult on Lagos*- It goes swimmingly, but almost failed as the warrior redlined our legion before i took one hp off him. But its gone now, so no worries. Various troop movement. But, im going to stop here because we have a decision to make.

We can break this right away but i thought i should run this by you guys first, ill pass up my last 5 turns to the next guy, because i got homework/rl playing me right now (actually at 8:30). The decision is this. I dialed up Henry to see just what we could get. We can get for peace, Horseback riding and 59 gold for peace, or we can get peace and Oporto. This decision should be made by the group. MDa Save y first thoughts were to take the techs, then break the peace, and really p them off good.

Da pic-

And Da Save-Da Save

We might as well take the city and hurry our legions up to their pitiful last city, as far as I'm concerned. It'd break our rep too, whjich is good.

Big - Nice job taking it to Portugal :hammer: . I agree with Beorn, we can take Oporto for peace and then grab their last city shortly afterwards (fulfills our 'false peace treaty' for this era). We shouldn't have much trouble getting HBR later on. We can always trade Babylon COL for it, then wipe them out too. :evil:

Alright, I'll take the city and whatever gold I can get from him...let redeclare. :D

I'll have the turns up later this afternoon.

Pre-turn – Make peace with Portugal for Oporto and 20 gold. Heh. There are 2 workers and that 3/4 Portuguese sword that are stranded on our side of the island, since there’s no way past Oporto! :evil: Trade Philo to Babylon for HBR and 55 gold. This way he’ll start the Mausoleum, which means that much fewer units for us to deal with. Trade Philo to Portugal for 39 gold.

1100 (1) – Ravenna curragh->worker. Viroconium warrior->curragh. Raise Lux to 10% to keep Rome from rioting. Destroy the barb camp by Cumae, but we still have 2 barb galleys to deal with. Kill one with our new curragh losing 1 health (I always thought curraghs had 0 attack... :confused: )

IBT – Barb horse appears SW of Hispalis.

1075 (2) – Rome Legion->settler. Veii Legion->worker. Cumae Legion->Legion. Portugal now has Map Making. They will offer it for CoL and 290 gold. Maybe right before I attack you…Start new curragh on a suicide run West off the coast of Ravenna, and see a hint of new coast. Send the other curragh in that direction and see land! Move Harpo in Hispalis to protect our workers. The city is now undefended, but I feel the 2 workers are more important.

IBT – Horse pillages Hispalis and kills some villagers, bringing it down to size 1. A curragh is lost at sea…of course it has to be the one within reach of the new land…

1050 (3) – Antium Legionary->worker. Hispalis warrior->warrior.

IBT – Other curragh is lost.

1025 (4) – Rome settler->Legion. Pisae Legion->worker. Move a Legion into Portuguese territory.

IBT – Henry says our Legionary smells worse than spoiled fish, then asks us to move him immediately. Oh I’ll move him alright…right into Lisbon!

1000 (5) – Veii worker->worker. Antium worker->Legion. Now Babylon has MM too…Hammurabi offers MM and 10 gold for CoL, while Henry only offers MM. Trade with Hammurabi. Move worker towards spices.

IBT – Henry asks us to leave. Nah. His sword in our territory attacks and kills a Legion on a hill, taking just 2 damage!

975 (6) – Ravenna worker->galley. Kill the sword losing 1 hp.

IBT – Sword leaves Lisbon, but doesn’t attack us.

950 (7) – Rome Legion->Legion. Cumae Legion->Legion. Pompeii Legion->worker. Worker starts roading the spices, done in 6 turns. Found Lutetia ->barracks. Capture the 2 workers by Oporto and disband them for a total of 4 shields.

Assault on Lisbon: 4/4 Legion dies redlining but promoting the first spear. The second 3/3 takes one damage killing a reg spear. Bring another Legion up for next turn.

IBT – Sword that left Lisbon attacks our Legion and dies, but takes 2 hp off.

925 (8) – Pisae worker->worker. Upgrade warrior in Hispalis for 60 gold to deal with the barb.

IBT – Barb dies pitifully attacking Hispalis.

900 (9) – Rome Legion->settler. Next person can change this if they want. Veii worker->worker (same with this). Lugdunum barracks->worker.
Harpo destroys a barb camp in the SW. Barb camp has appeared north of Neapolis, so I send a Legion there. If we do build another settler, settle there.

IBT – One of the barbs heads towards Neapolis. Byzantines complete the Oracle in Constantinople.

875 (10) – Kill barb with Legion who is redlined! (crazy RNG) Kill another barb West of Hispalis and promote to Elite. Destroy a barb camp South of Lutetia for another 25 gold.

Assault on Lisbon: Vet Legion is redlined but manages to kill an Elite spear! 2/3 Legion dies redlining a spear. I’ve still got a 2/4 Legion left, but I stop the attack for this turn. Move Groucho and a vet Legion to attack next turn. Sorry but I can’t resist playing another turn.

IBT – A sword from Lisbon attacks Groucho and brings him down to 2/5.

850 (11) – Rome settler->Legion. Pompeii worker->galley.

3rd Assault on Lisbon: Vet Legion attacks and is brought to 2/4, but promotes. Lose a 2/4 Legion but Groucho kills a vet spear, taking just 1 damage, but is now redlined. A warrior is now showing, but all that’s left is a 1/4 Legion!
OK. One more turn. I HAVE to finish off Portugal before I stop…

825 (12) – Antium Legion->Legion. Cumae Legion->Legion. Pisae worker->worker.

Final Assault on Lisbon: 3/5 attacks and kills warrior, losing 1 hp, and Lisbon is finally mine—er, ours. Also capture a settler. The Portuguese are now destroyed. Disband both slaves.
Destroy the barb camp North of Neapolis, promoting the Legion. The spices are now hooked up.

Sorry I played 2 extra turns, but I wanted to kill off Portugal first.
We’ve got to get some galleys and start exploring. Even the barbs had galleys before us! I think we should rush a galley in Oporto for 1 citizen and send it up to the land NW of Ravenna. Hopefully there’s a civ up there.
Once the Legionaries heal, we should probably go right into attacking Babylon, unless we don’t want to trigger their GA.
There's also a settler South of Neapolis that's heading to settle the land to the north of Neapolis.

Below is the priceless moment when Henry realized he was doomed. :evil:

Beorn is up. But if this gets back to me soon I have no idea of whether I can play it or not

Top Bottom