Vrylakas' Eastern European History-Question-a-Day Quiz

Croatia? {here be filler}

wetern balkans most probably, but i'm not sure which part exactly. possibly dalmatia, epirus, albania... though they did make incursions a lot deeper in the peninsula, i havent heard about any norman long term intentions to keep those territories.

Greece, Epirus, Peloponessus.
Robert Guiscard founded a little kingdom of his own in Eprius in 1081.
And as late as 1146 king Roger d'Hauteville of Sicily led a campaign in Greece and sacked both Corinth and Thebes.
The Sicilian Normans seem to have though the Byzantine lands ripe for annexation. They stopped after Constantinopolis was captured and sacked in 1204 by a crusader army that set up their own Latin empire.

Companiero and Verbose came closest on this one; while southern Italy and northern Greece (Epirus) were prominent areas of Byzantine/Norman conflict, the territory in question in the time period I am looking for is (modern) Albania. The Normans had launched several campaigns along the Albanian coastline, most notably the siege at Durazzo/Durres in 1081, and were for the most part successful until Robert Guiscard's death (1085), at which point Norman fortunes reversed and the Byzantines were able to re-conquer most of Albania.

Good job on that one!

OK, next question:

Where are Bergseite and Wiesenseite, and how were they created?

OK, no takers on this one. In the 1760s Tsarina Ekaterina II of Russia published a manifesto inviting foreign migrants to move to Russia and set up homesteads in the vast, empty regions of Russia. First and foremost to answer her call were c. 25,000 Germans who jumped at the chance for free land, and they established a little over 100 villages along the southern Volga River, near modern Saratov. The west bank of this "Volga German" settlement became known as the "Mountainous Side" (Bergseite) and the east bank became known as the "Meadow Side" (Wiesenseite).

This German enclave ceased to exist during World War II as Stalin suspected everyone of treason, much less ethnic Germans even though the Volga Germans had a long history of serving Russia loyally in her wars. Stalin deported most to Kazakhstan, and from there many (most?) migrated "back" to Germany after the Soviet collapse in 1991.

OK, next question:

In 1458 Jiří z Poděbrad became King of Bohemia. What was different about Jiří's rule in Bohemia?

Bright day
I was gearing up my keyboard to answer this, but it feels too much like cheating... So I will give it two days wait.

Bright day
Argh, "man you gotta hate your comp" (sing on "Riders on the storm").
Jiří started as a normal if influantial noble- later he was named regent for young Ladislaus Posthumous, who promptly died. All estates of Kingdom then convened and Jirka was elected the king. Please note that Jiřík had not whatsoever ANY right to the throne, nor was it ever possible for him to establish a dynasty- he was only noble not demigod (like Przemyslids or Carolignians) nor did posses "Mandate of Heaven" (Pipin-Arnulf dynasty and most other), he only had "Mandate of Estates"!. He also tried to create an united front aganist Ottomans and arbiter to prevetn wars in Europe, in order to accomplish that he send delegations to all European countries, but he failed miserably. Gladi over- hopefully not for another two weeks.

Can we move on? :)

Greetings folks,

And sorry as usual for the hiatus.

Gladi and Pawpaw got the last question; the critical difference about Jiří z Poděbrad's reign in Bohemia was that he was a Hussite, and his rule set the tone for a Hussite revival in Bohemia that would last 160 years. While to call this a proto-reformation or proto-protestant movement is a bit much, nonetheless it was an impotrant challenge to established church practices and conventions of the day - important enough that the Emperor in 1618 felt the need to try to crush it in the name of Catholicism.

Excellent! OK, next question:

Stefan Nemanja is known for a surprisingly pro-"Western" foreign policy in early 13th century Serbia; what factors may have influenced his decision to lean towards the West?

The capture of Constaniople by the Crusaders of the 4th(iirc) Crusade?

Yes! With the capture of Constantinople by the Western Crusaders in 1204 and the brief interregnum of the Latin Kingdom, Byzantine power waned in the Balkans and the Balkan states found it expedient to come to terms with the West, even flirting in Serbia's and Bulgaria's case with Western Christianity and recognizing the Pope in Rome as supreme Christian leader. Obviously though this phase didn't last too long... In Serbia's case, Stefan's brother Rastko (better known as "St. Sava") brought Orthodox Christianity back to Serbia.

Excellent! OK, next question:

In World War II, which campaign saw Polish military forces fighting on foreign soil for the first time in the war? (HINT: They were successful in achieving their mission, but were forced to withdraw when their allies did so.)

Norway?

lagg

1940 Libya campaign? (even though I think Norway is right...)

Top Bottom