Vrylakas' Eastern European History-Question-a-Day Quiz

Greetings all,

Hello to Ioan especially. My new place has been soaking up a lot of my time, but I am trying to finish an article that I'll post here. Maybe this weekend...maybe.....

OK: Constantine and Serutan got it right; Polish land and naval forces took part in the Allied actions in Norway in the spring of 1940. In particular, Polish forces played a prominent role in the successful battle for Narvik, though they were forced to withdrawal (along with British and French forces) in May.

Excellent - next question:

Romania sued for peace with Germany and Austria-Hungary in December 1917. What disaster on the Allies' side had prompted the Romanians to do so?

Or, more specifically, the Second (Lenin's) Revolution?

The armitsitce between Germany and Russia?

Vrylakas said:
Romania sued for peace with Germany and Austria-Hungary in December 1917. What disaster on the Allies' side had prompted the Romanians to do so?

After Lenin get power in Russia he imediately sued for a peace treaty with Germany - and he agree to cede Ukraine to German forces.
In this situation the romanian army couldn't resist alone on Eastern Front and, rejecting a strategy of "desperate resistance" in mountain area which will cause just more loses without any previzible sense, king Ferdinand I agree to nominate members of old conservative party in a new govern and sued for a separate peace with Germany, Bulgaria and Austro-Hungary. This peace was signed at Buftea-Bucharest and was a "taugh" one ... but fortunately only lasted few months. ;)

Regards

Late as usual... Sorry.

Everyone picked up on this one. The Bolshevik withdrawal of Russia from the war suddenly left Romania very surrounded and very isolated in the Balkans, beyond the reach of even the Salonika Allied camp to help.

Excellent on that one!

OK, next question:

What was Habsburg emperor Josef II's last act as emperor before dying in 1790?

Vrylakas said:
OK, next question:

What was Habsburg emperor Josef II's last act as emperor before dying in 1790?

cancelled his reforms, including trying to make german the only language of the habsburg lands

As usual, sorry about the tardiness.

Pawpaw indeed got it right, that Josef II was forced to revoke most of his reforms on his deathbed including, most infamously (though from our perspective a fairly sane idea) the declaration of German being the official language of the Empire.

Excellent!

OK, next question:

If you are a "Schopp", what are you and where do you live?

Regards Vry!

Are you refering the people living on the border of Bulgaria and Serbia...pronunciation sounds like that (not speling, off course..looks more like name on German language).

If it's "Shops" they are people that refering themselfs as Bulgarian but with some special dialects and custom (In Serbia they are concetraited in old Caribrod town, but mostly living in Bulgarian border region to Serbia).

If not than I have no idea.

Or this is one of your "trick" question.

:beer:

Companiero said:
Does that word have something to do with "Shopska salata"? :p LOL

Dobry den
That's what came to mind my also :) ...

"Schopp" means never forgetting about Poland.

Companiero said:
Does that word have something to do with "Shopska salata"? :p LOL

"Cheese + RedPepper" :drool: Me...liky... (offcourse it must be with "Pljeskavica")

remorseless said:

.. interesting :hmm: ..but...WHO? and WHAT?
Since Vrylakas is originaly from Poland, for posible connection, maybe you got the right answer...

Greetings all,

Alone got this one - the Schopp (and yes, my spelling is German in origin) are a curious people located between modern Sofia and Nis who have their own dialect, somewhat similar to modern Macedonian, and a strong personal identity within Bulgaria. I've read most unpleasant things about the Schopp, except that they make extremely tenacious soldiers.

Does that word have something to do with "Shopska salata"? LOL

:hmm: Schopska salata Vielleicht....

I believe Mr. Remorseless was making a modern political reference. ;)

OK, next question -

In the year 514 B.C., Darius, the Persian King of Kings, led an army of some 700,000 into the Balkans and across the Danube into a disastrous war that would foreshadow in some ways Napoleon's invasion of Russia 2326 years later. Against what eastern European power was Darius leading this fateful campaign and why did it fail?

the Daci/dacians most likely imo. dunno why failed. an army of such sizes is impossible to fail, unless it's combined with the traditional persian poor performance in battle.
btw, are u sure it was 700,000 :o ? i mean, of course u're sure, but still, thats a hell lot of army, even for Persian standards.

the scythians and i believe they retreated and just refused to give battle--drawing him further and further into the steppe.

i'd say scythians

Probably you 2 are right. I remember the scythians were known to have had some incursions down south (although later than VI BC), whereas I cant say i recall the same about the dacians. the scythians were in the back of my mind; if the answer's right, i couldnt imagine darius would go so up north to deal with them.

Greetings all,

Yes - it was the Scythians Darius was pursuing, unsuccessfully. It was the first and last time the Persians attempted a major military effort in Europe, save for Greece itself.... Darius' armies are thought to have crossed the modern Bulgarian, Romanian, Moldovan, Ukrainian and Russian borders - chasing the Scythians deeper and deeper into the Steppe. Darius finally turned back empty handed and his army had to deal with continual harassment the whole march back by Scythian forces.

Excellent! OK, next question:

What was the 1501-1503 Plettenberg War?

Top Bottom