• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Want to learn how to make programs!!!!!

Luddi VII

Sheep farmer
Hi!

I has always wondered how you can make programs and it's many programmers in these forums, so I was wondering if they use any programs to make other programs. I've been looking around on microsoft.com about this, so therefor I was wondering if you can use the standard "lead text" program to make programs. :confused:

I'm new at this and is only wondering on how to do this, so I hope someone could answer me. :)

Oops!! I thought I could post it here because programming is a part of civ-creation. But if it's in the wrong forum I ask that a moderator moves this thread.

Yes, it's wrong forum, this is really only for creations directly involving civ 3.

But anyway, do you mean are there programs that let you create your own programs easily? Programs are coded using compilers, which transform the code into executable files. There are different compilers for each programming language. As for DIY program-making programs, I've seen some "compilers" that let you drag and drop commands, or type in English-ish syntax which is translated into code, but these are very basic and wouldn't be powerful enough for anything civ-related. If you want to get started in programming, I would recommend C++. You can get a free compiler at www.bloodshed.net (don't be scared by the name, it's nothing morbid :p ), and a Google of C++ will give you plenty of sites where you can learn the basics. Good luck! :)

I would recommend Python. It is in intreperting language which means that unlike C++ which will crash and burn if there is a fault in the code Python will execute the program and tell you where the problem(s) occur(s). Also it is much easier to learn than c++ and basically for programing things like what you probably want to do is easier and faster in Python. Also C++ is a messy language and can be a piece of crap if you don't know how to read it. Python is much more tidy and code is neater. I recommend Python. If you have no programming skills you can click the beginners guide link on the left bar at www.python.org.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom