1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer fantasy units/graphics preview/development thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by aaglo, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Gomurr

Gomurr the Ancient

I think the unit looks perfect and that, since you seem adamant about not being able to do a cloak, you shouldn't change a thing. (unless you decide to take a shot at the cloak)

I definately disagree with Drift and Sourboy's sentiments. I think the brightness looks great, very Elven. And I definately think you shouldn't try and make it bronze to fit with the color-scheme of the other elven units - those units were made based on Peter Jackson's portrayal of the Noldor of the Second Age, and I really disagree with that color scheme. But rather than go off on a rant about elves and why they shouldn't be wearing gold (or bronze), I'll just leave it at - please don't change the colors.

2. CamJH

CamJH Uncle Cam

Love the changes you've made aaglo. :thumbsup:
    I could even use this guy for Mayene (uu: Winged Guards) in the WoT mod.

3. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Well, I think I'm not going back to bronze/gold. Instead I gave a shot at the cloak. Now, don't get exited. With Pov-ray it's quite easy to model a cloak. But animating that cloak is much more to hassle with. I've done a rather decent looking cloak, but yet I've got no idea how to animate that in flics with large movements (attack & run). I could do some tests on it, but I really can't promise anything.

Besides, I think that the all-civcoloured cloak is a very good thing...

4. Scytale

Scytale Shaping the Old World

The cloak looks great!! Thank you for trying ! And I agree about it beeing all-civcoloured.

5. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

That's looking good. :)

6. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Altough I think this would be easier to do (and would propably look better)

7. RRnut

RRnut Civanator

I think it looks great. :)

Edit: This was cross posted with the above pic... I liked the first cloak if you could do it, but I don't like the second one...

8. Scytale

Scytale Shaping the Old World

Gets better and better! :goodjob:

9. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Hm, that cloak has always bothered me, as it's completely useless... :sad:

10. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

:gripe:
    What the heck is the matter with you people!?!? Could you please agree atleast on one thing - like what this unit should look like? :mischief:

The first cloak I showed looks like a cloak, but there are definitely going to be some major difficulties in animating it, since I have absolutely no idea how to do it well enough for your tastes.
    The second cload isn't exactly a cloak in traditional sense, but there are two advantages in it: the existing elven units have similar cloak, and it's roughly 35069 times easier to animate (I'm very sure of that).

11. RRnut

RRnut Civanator

Essentially I say I like the first preview which you showed with the cloak... The second cloakish thing I don't really think looks like anything much and would probably prefer it without a cloak over that. But what ever you put out would be very nice!

12. Gomurr

Gomurr the Ancient

I am definately in favor of the second cloak. I think it looks really good. Plus, even though it has no practical purpose, the Phoenix Guard are an extremely ceremonial type of soldier, so it's quite understandable for them to have something only because it looks good. (I mean, it's like having a golden phoenix on their helm is particularly practical... probably makes those helmets damn heavy!) More importantly, I think we've pushed you enough with the cloak thing, and so if it's easier to animate, I think you should just do that.

I've got one question though, about his pose. Why is he leaning fprward like that? I know you said it is supposed to show confidence or something... but how does leaning equate to confidence?

13. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

He's not leaning foward at all - if he's leaning somewhere, it's backwards (not that it is). Can't you really see it (look at the smaller images in 8 directions - do you see him leaning foward)?

[Edit]: here's what I'm about to do (see the attachment) - I edited the later cloak

14. Gomurr

Gomurr the Ancient

Well, if he's not leaning, then he's squating, which I find equally confusing. But his axe is definately leaning, and his legs are definately bent, and I am definately confused.

15. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Yes his legs are bent, and his axe is leaning. But he boldly stands where no man has stand before. If i straightened it's legs, it would just look stupid.

16. Gomurr

Gomurr the Ancient

well, all right... if you say so. But I doubt the guy standing straight like a soldier would really look stupid in comparison to the guy half-squating for no apparent reason. :p

17. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

No we can't. Wasn't that the point of posting previews, after all, to get different input? :crazyeye:
    If you don't like creation by commitee you can just post it when it's finished.

Personally I prefer the first cloak, or maybe none at all.
    I've no problems with the pose, at least. ;)

18. Kal-el

Kal-el Deity

I like the second "cloak" and if it's easier to animate, then go for it! practice animating cloaks on your own time. ;)

19. Gomurr

Gomurr the Ancient

:nono: Now, now - there's no sense going around belittling other people's nitpicking, you disrespectful whippersnapper :p

Feh... kids these days... they've got no respect :shakehead

Edit: Just for the record, the first smiley I used is meant to be shaking an index finger at you. I can't quite tell if that's what the smiley is actually doing, or if it's flipping the bird. :D

20. Smoking mirror

Smoking mirror Ships Captain

Ha! Cloaks are always enticing, If you can get them to work the realy give the units some life, but they require about ten times as much effort as not having them, for only a slight return on investment. :(

However, You may aswell give it a try, chalenging your own artisic skills its what it's all about after all. :) It's no fun if it's too easy.