Warmongering Sucks!

That is totally hilarious. You formed a war party with Gandhi!?!?!?

I can see him dressed as a general with a corn cob pipe in his hand... :)

Honestly, he always seems most willing to joint war; I guess that's actually smart because you preserve the relationship with a partner. Seriously just ask him every time you want to go to war.

Even with gardening you will have to attack ants at their nest...

That's just clearing Barbarians. Plus ants are real warmongers.

Honestly, he always seems most willing to joint war; I guess that's actually smart because you preserve the relationship with a partner. Seriously just ask him every time you want to go to war.

So when he's sitting in a lotus position as he peacefully protests, I will walk up to him and say, "Hey bro, let's go whack a few Vikings up north. Whaddya say?"

"Okay, homey," he says with a thick Indian accent (imagine that). "Let's give them a proper spanking."

So when he's sitting in a lotus position as he peacefully protests, I will walk up to him and say, "Hey bro, let's go whack a few Vikings up north. Whaddya say?"

"Okay, homey," he says with a thick Indian accent (imagine that). "Let's give them a proper spanking."

Well, as he said in Civ V, the army is being violent, not him. ;)

Incidentally, Gandhi's (AI) method is actually the best for people that do want to play peacefully but want someone taken out. As detailed before you want to make peace and then retaliate with a joint war later.

Then there was that time he asked for uranium....

Then there was that time he asked for uranium...

"Hey, bro..." said the little man wearing spectacles. "Do you think you could spare a little yellow cake? I only need enough for a missile or two."

Jesus guys... :scared:

I was over here starting to think the game was a lot like gardening. :dunno:

Have you maybe considered that you are just warmongers?

If my thousands of hours in EU 4 have taught me anything, it's that modifiers like this tend to go away when the nation in question stops existing. Pretty convenient, that. I'm not the warmonger, they are. I'm simply making an investment to ensure permanent world peace. It's a steep cost to pay, but it's worth it.

I think the warmonger system is just fine.

The only tweak I could see is a reduction of warmonger if someone plants a city within, or on, your boarders. And when you get attacked first, killing the enemy units shouldn't really give much warmonger.

Other then that...its fine.

It sucks.

I'm just minding my own business and some jerk attacks me, and because they won't talk peace until either I pay them or I swup them, so I send my army to go take care of business.
And so since I'm at war I decide to snatch a strategic city, or even just hold one to hand back at the end of the war.

Next minute the whole world denounces me because I'm a warmonger. They started the fight, I'm just defending myself!

Now the stupid Greeks won't give me right of passage so my Navy's stuck unless I go take that Greek city, then they will really hate me.

One day I'm just minding my own business, eating an ice cream cone in the park. And then someone attacks me and takes my ice cream cone. I go beat him down to get my ice cream back but it's already been eaten so I ask for money instead. At least I can go buy another ice cream cone. The ice cream thief has no money and begs for forgiveness. I don't believe him and demand he show me what's in his wallet. A passerby sees me and thinks I'm shaking the poor guy down. The passerby attacks me. I have no choice but to beat him down as well. But he's already called his homies before engaging. Minutes later they arrive in a truck, armed to the teeth. I have no choice but to defend myself. Then the police come and I'm forced to put them down too. Before I know it, the local national guard and army have me surrounded. I have no choice but to crush them. Finally, the remainder of the world's nations unite in one last stand, but ultimately fall one by one beneath my feet. How did it come to this? I just wanted to enjoy my ice cream cone, but I ended up conquering the world. Warmongering sucks.

Last edited:
Is there any alternative to conquering cities to end a war/get a better peace deal? Pillaging Tiles and taking out Units seem too weak a solution.
Civ5 BNW expansion introduced worldwide warmonger hate. This made war less of a "correct" playstyle and encouraged players to experiment with other things. Civ6 introduced Casus Belli system. The AI loved to declare war, mostly Joint Wars without even a denouncement that count as a Formal War. Often they would not even send me Units. If I wanted peace (pretty much a requirement to run Trade Routes) the solutions were to either a) lead an expedition into enemy lands (conquer 1-2 city in Atomic/Information and be branded a warmonger until game ends) b) sign a peace treaty without even fighting (?? If this isn't broken AI I don't know what else is)

(using past tense because this is how things were before summer patch, now things slightly improved)

I guy shoved me in the street, so I punched him back and then took his car.

Now they are trying to arrest me of all people!
Well the AI doesn't act like humans so what's the point in this analogy?
Is there an alternative penalty to taking their cities you can put on AI to punish them for starting a war?

Now with the summer patch they settled down to BNW-style AI. However, this game the way it stands, doesn't have Culture/Tourism or World Congress systems from BNW, and therefore you can't put an alternative pressure on a foe in the form of Ideology unhappiness or World Congress embargoes.

Re posted as I didn't get a reply:

I was wondering whether it's possible to reduce the length of time that the AI consider me as a warmonger. Would altering this file do it?
I'm not sure whether to increase/decrease the value of '50' to reduce warmongering time. Any suggestions?

<Replace Name="DIPLOMACY_WARMONGER_POINT_PERCENT_DECAY" Value="50" />

I don't see the point in ever making friends with the other civs anyway. If they are weaker than you they expect you to shower them with gifts. If they are stronger than you they expect you to shower them with gifts.

Re posted as I didn't get a reply:

I was wondering whether it's possible to reduce the length of time that the AI consider me as a warmonger. Would altering this file do it?
I'm not sure whether to increase/decrease the value of '50' to reduce warmongering time. Any suggestions?

<Replace Name="DIPLOMACY_WARMONGER_POINT_PERCENT_DECAY" Value="50" />

Based on the name I expect that would influence the rate at which warmonger goes away after you accrue it. There's probably another one for how much warmonger penalty each action gives.

I can't tell you offhand whether increasing this value makes decay happen faster or slower. Since it's a decay variable I would anticipate it making decay faster if you increase it, but you never know. with spaghetti code. Sometimes it moves in unexpected ways.

thx bladex - can you please explain in a little detail for a non-techie!

Cheers TheMelnTeam - I may well try raising it from 50 to say, 90.

Last edited by a moderator:
@jbxx Here are the Warmonger variable names
<Replace Name="WARMONGER_CITY_PERCENT_OF_DOW" Value="50" />

<Replace Name="WARMONGER_FINAL_MAJOR_CITY_MULTIPLIER" Value="200" />

<Replace Name="WARMONGER_FINAL_MINOR_CITY_MULTIPLIER" Value="100" />

<Replace Name="WARMONGER_LIBERATE_POINTS" Value="32" />

<Replace Name="WARMONGER_RAZE_PENALTY_PERCENT" Value="200" />

<Replace Name="WARMONGER_REDUCTION_IF_AT_WAR" Value="40" />

<Replace Name="WARMONGER_REDUCTION_IF_DENOUNCED" Value="20" />

Instinctively I'd try to put the 2 multipliers above at 0 as they probably always multiply the base value.

Another way could be to modify the per era value to 0, example:
<Row EraType="ERA_CLASSICAL" Name="LOC_ERA_CLASSICAL_NAME" Description="LOC_ERA_CLASSICAL_DESCRIPTION" ChronologyIndex="2" WarmongerPoints="6" GreatPersonBaseCost="60" EraTechBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGClassical" EraCivicBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGClassical" WarmongerLevelDescription="LOC_WARMONGER_LEVEL_LIGHT" EmbarkedUnitStrength="15"/>

Many thanks for the info Acken - much appreciated.

thx bladex - can you please explain in a little detail for a non-techie!

Cheers TheMelnTeam - I may well try raising it from 50 to say, 90.
this is how i did mine it eliminates it completely. you can be a bigger dick as you want to anyone they won't care!
edit eras.xml
Spoiler spoiler :

<Row EraType="ERA_ANCIENT" Name="LOC_ERA_ANCIENT_NAME" Description="LOC_ERA_ANCIENT_DESCRIPTION" ChronologyIndex="1" WarmongerPoints="0" GreatPersonBaseCost="30" EraTechBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGAncient" EraCivicBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGAncient" WarmongerLevelDescription="LOC_WARMONGER_LEVEL_NONE"/>
<Row EraType="ERA_CLASSICAL" Name="LOC_ERA_CLASSICAL_NAME" Description="LOC_ERA_CLASSICAL_DESCRIPTION" ChronologyIndex="2" WarmongerPoints="0" GreatPersonBaseCost="60" EraTechBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGClassical" EraCivicBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGClassical" WarmongerLevelDescription="LOC_WARMONGER_LEVEL_LIGHT"/>
<Row EraType="ERA_MEDIEVAL" Name="LOC_ERA_MEDIEVAL_NAME" Description="LOC_ERA_MEDIEVAL_DESCRIPTION" ChronologyIndex="3" WarmongerPoints="0" GreatPersonBaseCost="120" EraTechBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGMedieval" EraCivicBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGMedieval" WarmongerLevelDescription="LOC_WARMONGER_LEVEL_MODERATE"/>
<Row EraType="ERA_RENAISSANCE" Name="LOC_ERA_RENAISSANCE_NAME" Description="LOC_ERA_RENAISSANCE_DESCRIPTION" ChronologyIndex="4" WarmongerPoints="0" GreatPersonBaseCost="240" EraTechBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGRenaissance" EraCivicBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGRenaissance" WarmongerLevelDescription="LOC_WARMONGER_LEVEL_HEAVY"/>
<Row EraType="ERA_INDUSTRIAL" Name="LOC_ERA_INDUSTRIAL_NAME" Description="LOC_ERA_INDUSTRIAL_DESCRIPTION" ChronologyIndex="5" WarmongerPoints="0" GreatPersonBaseCost="420" EraTechBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGIndustrial" EraCivicBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGIndustrial" WarmongerLevelDescription="LOC_WARMONGER_LEVEL_SEVERE"/>
<Row EraType="ERA_MODERN" Name="LOC_ERA_MODERN_NAME" Description="LOC_ERA_MODERN_DESCRIPTION" ChronologyIndex="6" WarmongerPoints="0" GreatPersonBaseCost="660" EraTechBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGModern" EraCivicBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGModern" WarmongerLevelDescription="LOC_WARMONGER_LEVEL_EGREGIOUS"/>
<Row EraType="ERA_ATOMIC" Name="LOC_ERA_ATOMIC_NAME" Description="LOC_ERA_ATOMIC_DESCRIPTION" ChronologyIndex="7" WarmongerPoints="0" GreatPersonBaseCost="960" EraTechBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGAtomic" EraCivicBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGAtomic" WarmongerLevelDescription="LOC_WARMONGER_LEVEL_EGREGIOUS"/>
<Row EraType="ERA_INFORMATION" Name="LOC_ERA_INFORMATION_NAME" Description="LOC_ERA_INFORMATION_DESCRIPTION" ChronologyIndex="8" WarmongerPoints="0" GreatPersonBaseCost="1320" EraTechBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGInformation" EraCivicBackgroundTexture="TechTree_BGInformation" WarmongerLevelDescription="LOC_WARMONGER_LEVEL_EGREGIOUS"/>

and if you also want to get rid of war wariness do this
Spoiler spoiler :

edit the Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data\GlobalParameters

edit these lines and add 0 to them at the end like below.

<Row Name="WAR_WEARINESS_LOSS_OVER_REQ_AMENITIES_AT_WAR_CITY" Value="0" />

<Row Name="WAR_WEARINESS_LOSS_OVER_REQ_AMENITIES_FOUNDED_CITY" Value="0" />

<Row Name="WAR_WEARINESS_LOSS_OVER_REQ_AMENITIES_NONFOUNDED_CITY" Value="0" />

<Row Name="WAR_WEARINESS_PER_COMBAT_IN_ALLIED_LANDS" Value="0" />

<Row Name="WAR_WEARINESS_PER_COMBAT_IN_FOREIGN_LANDS" Value="0" />

<Row Name="WAR_WEARINESS_PER_UNIT_KILLED" Value="0" />

<Row Name="WAR_WEARINESS_PER_WMD_LAUNCHED" Value="0" />

Top Bottom