Watcha Writin'?

Thanks

I told myself no more video games until I get my chapter finished. That should get me motivated in a hurry.

I'll try to start the Camp NaNoWriMo thread later today (it's after midnight here now). I have a couple of emails from them I need to read first to make sure I won't be giving anyone wrong information here.

I've been lured by the siren's song of my noir tale. :assimilate: Instead of hurrying to finish Eek by this month's deadline for Writers of the Future contest, I'm now turning to Buying Happiness. With just a week and a half to go, it'll be a challenge. Plus, I've never written a noir before. :scared:

I'm also doing a gender flip, i.e. instead of having a femme fatale :evil: preying on some hapless man, my "femme fatale" will be a man luring my main character to her destruction. :mwaha:

I'm done with Chapter One, 1,500 words. I foresee eight chapters, so 12,000 words (?). I have only the roughest of outlines; this is much more like a "seat of your pants" project.

What could possibly go wrong? :wow:

I love it when I made small, easily-fixable continuity errors in my writing, such as having a character sit down three times over the course of a conversation (with no indication that they stood up).

Of course the point where I realized that my original draft had gotten out of hand was when some characters got drenched by a rainstorm while indoors, so :lol:

I love it when I made small, easily-fixable continuity errors in my writing, such as having a character sit down three times over the course of a conversation (with no indication that they stood up).

Of course the point where I realized that my original draft had gotten out of hand was when some characters got drenched by a rainstorm while indoors, so :lol:
Leaky roof. :p

I've thought of so many different ways my characters can have the same conversation about the same topic and I don't want to lose any of them. Eventually I'll have to decide on which way is best, but for now it looks like they just keep talking in circles about the same thing, abeit in different words and somewhat different emotional nuances.

I have to be careful about that, because one of my 'good guys' is slowly slipping into a moral grey area. I have to figure out a reason why this is happening.

I only just earlier discovered that FocusWriter has a fullscreen mode. Pretty helpful....now if I can find a way to temporarily disable alt+tab....:think:

...such as my first murder weapon being crows yet in mid-murder, they turn into bats :dubious:

That raises an entirely new set of questions.

I've been increasing my word count 25 a day. I met my daily goal three days in a row. :smug:

I'm now turning to Buying Happiness. With just a week and a half to go, it'll be a challenge. Plus, I've never written a noir before. :scared:

:badcomp: This isn't working at all. The ambiance of a noir is claustrophobia, paranoia, slow ruin, betrayal, night, and rain. :sad:
Every time I start working on Buying Happiness, I begin slipping into depression. :dunno:

My current chapter is over 6000 words and I'm still not done rewriting it. The original chapter was around 4,800 words. Oops.

Current streak: 5 days

I have dug up The Paladin and the Dragon, an ancient D&D-type short story of mine, polished it, and will be submitting it to the Writers of the Future contest. :trophy:

My current chapter is over 6000 words and I'm still not done rewriting it. The original chapter was around 4,800 words. Oops.
Editing and rewriting don't always mean less. There are a lot of stories I've read where I wished the author had gone into more detail or explored certain characters more.

That's why a lot of fanfiction exists that's based on novels. People want more. For instance, there's a short story on AO3 based on C.J. Cherryh's Cyteen/Regenesis novels, in which three characters have their first encounter with pizza. They're trying to understand why others like it, what the psychological and social aspects are about pizza. It seems obvious to us, but to someone like Ariane Emory - a clone of a brilliant scientist who designs whole societies based on psychology and genetics - simple things like pizza parties aren't events she's familiar with. Therefore, research.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that I'll be posting the Camp NaNoWriMo thread tonight.

To be fair, the original chapter was kind of....skimpy at points, since I was trying to shove a bunch of different scenes into it. But I decided to delegate the latter scenes to its own chapter(s), so that gave me some room to work with the other ones

Top Bottom