1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Watcha Writin'?

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Zkribbler, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Erase, erase, erase. I'm reverting back to my original story. :dunno:

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Strictly speaking, it's spelled "Jule" (pronounced "Yule").

3. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Not according to Wikipedia and a whole slew of online dictionaries. :nono: In comparison, I could find no spelling of "Yule" with a "J." :dunno:

4. Valka D'Ur

Tell that to the Christmas cards my grandparents received from their relatives in Sweden. I'm not talking about English spelling.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  5. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

"Sowjet"

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

The Superfluous Danger

A man looks outside and thinks: “This street is dirty, and how repulsive are the expressions of the passers-by. No sense of unity in their crooked movements and sideways furtive stares; they might as well have been crude antagonism personified”.
    To such a man normalcy is already unbearable and so he does not sense that things can get worse. And if, in a flash, the furtive stare would change to raised hand, and the street’s corruption would acquire a crimson tint, it’s a superfluous danger, like a shark approaching one about to drown.

7. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

My story has a Norwegian forest cat but no Swedes, so I'll stick with my English spelling. :popcorn:

8. Valka D'Ur

"Merry Christmas" in Norwegian is "God Jul."

That said, I use the "Yule" spelling in my King's Heir story. Since I have such a mishmash of religions both monotheistic and polytheistic (I decided that the people of Griffinvale worship two gods rather than one and I never name any of them, at least so far), it doesn't really matter.

9. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

(Just a suggestion:)) Alternatively, all Griffenvalians don't have to worship the same gods. For example, in 'Yule," my Vikings have long since converted to Christianity,:xmassign:, while my colony of mice still worship the gods of Valhalla :grouphug:. I'll soon be introducing Skræling natives, who will undoubtedly have their own gods. :c5faith:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  10. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I just spent a couple of hours working when LibreOffice froze. [pissed]

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

So I wrote a bad chapter. Tried to move on with a "fix that in second draft revisions" approach. Next chapter was so obviously going sideways that I knew I had to go back to go forwards. Got that chapter rewritten. So is that like "first and a half" draft? Dunno. Anyway, two more chapters of first draft left to go and obviously a couple weeks off schedule...but getting there.

12. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:hammer: I'm back to working on "Eek," my spacefaring swashbuckler. I'm up to 3,500 words, not bad for over 10 years of effort. :whew:

13. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Blast, I have just two weeks to get in my next submission into Writers of the Future Contest. There's no way "Eek!" can be ready in time. :cry:
    I searched through my stories, either finished or in progress, looking for a candidate. I found a cute Jack Sparrow story, but it lacks the necessary fantasy or science fiction component. :sad: Then I found another with voodoo. :eekdance: I'm busying myself with name and nationality changes. :hammer:

I also had to exorcise the undead monkey and the compass which points to what you want most.

:clap:Done 9/17/30
    Submitted 3:16pm local time

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  14. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Remember:
    This is really a charming story. :love: It involves pirates robbing the impregnable Bank of Panama. I now remember I abandoned this story because Panama City is on the Pacific coast, my pirates must transport their loot to their ships in Caribbean Sea, and only one, narrow mule trail connects the two. A getaway is neigh on impossible. :wallbash: I toyed with the idea of hot air balloons, which in RL weren't invented until 1895, altho Burt Lancaster used one in the Crimson Pirate. However, balloons lack the necessary lifting power. I have yet to invoke any fantasy-based solution...but I remain pessimistic. :help:

15. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

:cooool:

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  16. Valka D'Ur

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that hot air balloons were invented at an earlier time and then forgotten. Different technology would have been used, but it would mean you don't need space aliens to account for the Nazca lines.

17. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I managed to write 500 words in one sitting earlier today. I'm not sure how I pulled it off. It was part of a oneshot that went into my head and would not go out so I started writing it in hopes that it would stop bothering me.

Thorvald of Lym and Valka D'Ur like this.
  18. Valka D'Ur

:thumbsup:

That's how some of the best fanfics get done.

I, on the other hand, am deliberately puddling along at a sentence or two a day. I'm trying to pace myself so I'll finish the current arc not too long before NaNoWriMo comes around again in November. Not that I have a lot of time for writing my own stuff these days.

I recently got hooked on Harry Potter, and am currently reading several ongoing stories about Sirius Black and/or Remus Lupin. Some are about when they were kids, some are after they grew up, there are a couple of hilarious ones, and a rather intriguing one in which Harry, Hermione, and Sirius end up in an alternate universe in which Harry and Hermione were never born and the AU Sirius is dead.

Not that I plan to tackle this particular franchise in my own writing. I don't know enough about it yet.

19. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Writing my dreams down every morning

20. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I'm back to working on my Cursed Airship story. :hammer: I've combined the arrest and escape of my priestess in Chap. 1 & 2 into a single chapter.
    :ack: This makes my former Chap 3 (now Chap 2) only half as long as my new Chap. 1. I try to keep the length of my chaps aprx equal. :blush:

I'm easing my motif of AIRships to a focus on the raging WATER, renaming the story "The Word for World is Water."
    I should have never used the word "levee;" it is a sea wall--or now an ocean wall.