Watcha Writin'?

Zkribbler4.gif
<- Ribtickler's house in the Philippines.

So I recently realised that I have written about 100 poems over the last two and a half years. Mayne I ought to try and do something with all this.

So I recently realised that I have written about 100 poems over the last two and a half years. Mayne I ought to try and do something with all this.
You already did something with a few of them here in this forum.

Oh that was long before.

It is very possible that I have written over 500 poems total since I started in 2013.

I remember a few. ;)

I wrote 1,049 words today!

A piece on In The Mood For Love for the school journal. I think it's not half bad.

Eleven days = 1384 words.
My story is set in the far distant future, on a far distant outpost planet..."Demons Prowl"

The man of the stairway

I know of a man who is always on the move, in stairways, going up or down. They are all kinds of stairways, public and private, outdoors and indoors, they range from steep to easy to climb and while some consists only of a few short steps, others allow long hikes to the loftiest parts of town. Furthermore, he has already moved in those stairways multiple times, and by now can rarely finds a new one – even when he does, his interest isn’t always piqued; in fact he seems to prefer a few he already used extensively, and this has been going on since he was very young.

It is true that others would find all this quite pointless, and also strange, had they known about it. As things stand very few people are aware of his preoccupation with stairways, since obviously you can’t just assume anything by watching some passer-by: aren’t you yourself, at the moment, similarly predisposed to watch your steps and make headway on the same passageway? That said, if his obsession somehow became public knowledge, it’d make carrying on going up and down the public or private stairways more difficult, so he would never admit anything about it.

Besides, he sees nothing wrong in his attitude. It may seem dull but there were even times he actually felt a spark of joy; once, upon nearing the top of a particularly rugged stairway and being unexpectedly greeted by the full moon above the desolate lofty outskirt – up to then he had to focus on the dirty and treacherous stairs – he couldn’t help but smile! Yet mostly he’s about as tired as you’d expect someone to be after climbing so many steps, and his expression, more often than not, is a heavy frown.

Still, you wouldn’t get him to see an error in his ways, even if you alluded to the pointlessness of continuously moving in stairways – this is because he’s not at all of the opinion that a breakthrough of sorts is impossible for him. He imagines that somewhere, past the final rung of a possibly remarkably steep – or perhaps, if deception is involved, conspicuously not steep – stairway, he’d immediately arrive at the place he longed to be all his life, where he could feel free, and there would not be able to resist any offer by the merry people of the location, the very next moment he’d be taken to some house, find himself behind a closed door, settle on a perfectly flat floor, lie on a bed and speak, laugh, smile, get together and be in peace.

Perhaps everyone is looking for such a room. Perhaps this is the type of room which exists – in some variation or other – for everyone. This still might not allow for it to be found specifically at the end of a stairway.

But it’s not certain – and because it’s not certain, he continues to look for it.

I've been writing daily lately. Daily poetry. Today'll be the ninth day in a row of I come up with something.

I'm in love and they inspire me like never before.

As mentioned here and there in OT... I'm getting copious ideas for Harry Potter-related fanfic. Absolutely none of it is serious; I leave the good, angsty fanfic to my favorite authors.

It seems I can write serious stuff when it's connected to games. But the other stuff... crossovers, anyone? At this point I've got fits and starts and bits of dialogue and ideas for the following:

Star Trek Voyager/Bonanza, with a nod to a couple of other westerns
Harry Potter/Family Feud
Harry Potter/Keeping Up Appearances
Doctor Who/Downton Abbey
Harry Potter/Cinderella
Are You Being Served?/Keeping Up Appearances

... as you can see, there's a pattern here of mostly HP and Britcom... :crazyeye:

"Mind the hippogriff, Richard!"
"It's in the field!"
:lmao: I love it! :lol:

Of course Hyacinth would also be very disapproving of the filthy, scruffy long-haired wizard who's with the hippogriff. And if Hyacinth fussed too much, Sirius could just transform into Padfoot... Richard would probably give him a good scratch behind his ears.

I've suddenly got a very nasty idea for a trick to play on Hyacinth, regarding her Royal Doulton with the handpainted periwinkles... *evil grin*

As usual, Daisy and Onslow would just go with the flow, and Onslow's response to being offered butterbeer: "When I have a beer, I want to drink it, not butter me toast with it!"

I... could go for this more than I want to admit. :p
I blame Arthur Weasley and his obsession with All Things Muggle. Maybe he finds a home game version. Or maybe there's a wizarding version of the game (played on the radio, since TV is only a muggle thing).

I've gone through multiple permutations of which five characters could make up the families... too many of them could fit in multiple families!

And which host to use... we have a Canadian version of the show now, and the host isn't too bad. I would absolutely NOT use the guy on the American version, unless it was when the show was on in the '90s or earlier. Any suggestions as to which HP character could plausibly be a game show host instead of a contestant?

...Now I'm scared.
:D

The salesman is Trevor Bannister, who played Mr Lucas on Are You Being Served?

(fun fact: The first show I ever saw him in was The Tomorrow People; he played Colonel Masters, one of the bad guys)

There are so many ways to cross these two shows. This phone mashup is priceless:

I could even imagine Hyacinth and Richard staying at Millstone Manor in the sequel series.

I dug into my cache of forgotten tales and found my next submission to Writers of the Future, The Deception of Dragons. :coffee:

23 minutes to log in, file out the brief form, and attach the story. :wallbash:

Last edited:
Top Bottom