We need Beta Testers

About champion:

With the introduction of random heroes champions are removed, I'm sure it's not so good in the beta release. So I'm doing something right now to substitute the missing champion function with other stuffs:

1. I introduced a new variable to certain technologies. When player get that technology, and whenever his unit upgrades, the unit will retain 25 more experience. Right now I have given this ability to 4 techs.
2. A new promotion: logistics, or some name like that, is a core troop promotion, has the same effect with the old medic 3 promotion
3. A new promotion: veterans, or some name like that, is a whole legion promotion, works like this: legion unit will enjoy certain amount of bonus XP according to the time the unit is in the legion. (say, in standard speed, 10 turns grant 10% XP bonus, 100 turns grant 100% XP bonus, that's the maximum).

So what do you think about this whole champion thing? Any suggestions how we might take advantage of this pretty big game play change?

I like the promotion ideas! the big thing about champions were the unique promotions (mainly leadership), so if they get reimplemented in some way or another, it would be awesome!

I have uploaded Beta V2.4b5 to the same address as th first post, fixing the following problem:

All unit will not be able to upgrade after reloading.

It's save game compatible. The next beta release, if it has to be one, will break save game, I hope that won't happen :)

I still seem to have the hero autoupgrading problem... I'm using the latest beta. I took the file and did a fresh install over V2.3 if that helps.

Tried to start a 196 small map, this came up:
Assert Failed

File: CvGlobals.cpp
Line: 3594
Expression: strcmp(szType, "NONE")==0 || strcmp(szType, "")==0
Message: info type CIVILIZATION_NAN_MAN not found, Current XML file is: xml\Sanguo/CIV4CityPerkInfos.xml

Then selected Nan Man, and this came up:
Assert Failed

Message: info type CIVILIZATION_NAN_MAN not found, Current XML file is: xml\Sanguo/CIV4CityPerkInfos.xml

and

Line: 1175
Expression: eCivilizationNum > -1
and I was defeated.

Yes the autopromote seems to be still on (but not for regular promotions).
Damn, can't build the Terracotta Army with Sun Ce.

Tried to start a 196 small map, this came up:
Assert Failed

Then selected Nan Man, and this came up:
Assert Failed

and

Line: 1175
Expression: eCivilizationNum > -1
and I was defeated.

I should emphasize again the old maps do not work, the only map that works is the 194 one. The updated old maps will work, but they are not released.

Yes the autopromote seems to be still on (but not for regular promotions).
Damn, can't build the Terracotta Army with Sun Ce.

I'll check the autopromotion problem, what does that mean with Terracotta Army?

That means that I was unable to build the Terracotta Army because my stone isn't hooked up. It's not a bug, but just purely an observation (before I could always build it because Mo Ling has stone and a worker). Just for fairness you should probably let all stone be unquarried.

I'm still getting the all around cautious diplo. Started as Yuan Shao, and Gongsun Zan is cautious (not furious) even though we're at war already (a little early for that historically?).

that's strange, in my local version the hero autopromotion problem is gone for good. Try this attached DLL. Before trying you could check the modification date of both DLLs to see if they are one version. If they are one version, they should really behave the same way. Unless it's vista...

Now I suspect all these beta versions didn't include the updated DLL? weird.

Attachments

• CvGameCoreDLL.7z
    1.7 MB · Views: 183
When I select a lot of units there seems to be a freeze until I clear the assert error:

File: CyGlobalContext.cpp
Line: 70
Expression: idx>=0
You really should nerf Yuan Shao a little bit. Even playing in Deity he's impossibly strong, compared to Cao Cao. (He's probably the one that always builds the Terracotta Army in 5-6 moves without stone. 6 workers to start with?!).

AP, have you tried the new DLL?

Currently only Sun Ce is controlled by dynamic initial unit, so Yuan Shao will be nerfed in the final release I'm sure, especially if you choose deity.

I tried the new DLL, and now all the promotion stuff is working normally! I have to ask though, did you give some heroes starting promotions in Worldbuilder that they normally won't get? (like Guan Yu having Indomitable and some others starting with 2 extra promos)

xxhe made the scenarios, so he may did that. Guan Yu is a special case, because he has nine transformation, so if it shows he has indomitable, it means he has selected indomitable as his current nine transformation promotion.

hmm, this nine transformation thing is looking more and more interesting... just out of curiosity, is Guan Yu the only one who has it? Or do a few other famous heroes get it too?

:drool:
this next release is gonna be great!

Now for more info on the playtesting:

The Assert Failed message that I was getting previously

seems to happen when I group units in a stack that have a mix of legion and non-legion units, then try to select individual units. I was also holding Alt to view combat odds with each at the time. Hope that helps if you didn't already get that bug.

:drool:
this next release is gonna be great!

Now for more info on the playtesting:

The Assert Failed message that I was getting previously

seems to happen when I group units in a stack that have a mix of legion and non-legion units, then try to select individual units. I was also holding Alt to view combat odds with each at the time. Hope that helps if you didn't already get that bug.

Oh is that it? I thought it was just me selecting a lot of units to get that error (see above). I wasn't using alt either.

(Are we 2 the only English-speaking beta testers?)

On another note, can you decrease the damage in jungles to be 5% and marshes 10%, and maybe only in enemy territory? This makes it a little bit more reasonable (I'm trying a game as Liu Yao and getting my units to the frontline damages them too much via the shortest route)

Top Bottom