[We the People] Blackboard - Team and Supporter Communication

I was actually thinking of an update for Civ4Col, which moves files from the exe to the DLL, just like BTS 3.19.
Would be cool but realistically there is not enough money to be made by Civ4Col to ever get Firaxis to touch that old game again ... :sad:

Thanks a lot for this nice compliment. :)
We always like to hear that our community enjoys playing our work.
And of course we really appreciate in people from community want to support.

Of course. I've actually been here for a couple years now. But as with most forums I frequent, I just lurk. I felt like I needed to speak up in this case because I'm almost certain there are other players like me who really enjoy this but do so without posting.

Thanks for offering in good intention but when it comes to modding taking money is really a bad idea. :nope:
It has always been one of the core principals of our mod team that we do not accept money.
If we did something like that no real modder would ever talk to us again ...
Modding is passion, not greed.

I see. I wasn't aware that was the philosphy. I've purchased several, if not hundreds, of "coffees" for modders in the Rimworld and XCOM community. And there are a few patreons I'm subscribed to, such as Sim Settlements for Fallout 4. I've always felt monetary incentives keep motivation high. I just figured if I dumped enough money into this that we could eventually port the code over to 2071 and Medieval: Conquests. I can dream too!

But I understand, I'll try to find another way to support you guys.

Sure, when new modders are serious about becoming modders themselves we are always happy to help and teach. :)
We just need to see where we could use your skills and what you could do to start learning.

As I said, I don't really have any skills related to modding. I have an extremely basic understanding of code that gets me by, as far as fine tuning numbers whether it be for performance or balance, but that's it. If you want to set me up with a task that needs to be done with the resources and instructions, I'll gladly take a crack at it and build from there. My personal goal here, other than direct support to the team, is to complete the challenge given to me by Nightinggale over a year and half ago. Everything else will just be a bonus. My ultimate goal, and possible pipe dream, is to import the code from We The People over to Colonization 2071 and get the Alpha Centari sequel we deserve. But I won't hold my breath. In the meantime, I'm happy with supporting you guys any way I can.

I've purchased several, if not hundreds, of "coffees" for modders in the Rimworld and XCOM community.
And completely avoided my Rimworld mod :sad:
To be fair, it's abandoned at this point. Updates in the core game made it much less needed.

I've always felt monetary incentives keep motivation high. I just figured if I dumped enough money into this that we could eventually port the code over to 2071 and Medieval: Conquests. I can dream too!
When We The People started, I moved from Medieval Conquest and stated that my personal goal would be to get the DLL code to become "mod independent" in the sense that it would work for those two mods as well. That transition of the DLL isn't done, but I didn't hurry because I ran out of xml modders to work with. It's still on the roadmap though should there be an interest at some point.

I see. I wasn't aware that was the philosphy. I've purchased several, if not hundreds, of "coffees" for modders in the Rimworld and XCOM community. And there are a few patreons I'm subscribed to, such as Sim Settlements for Fallout 4. I've always felt monetary incentives keep motivation high. I just figured if I dumped enough money into this that we could eventually port the code over to 2071 and Medieval: Conquests. I can dream too!

This post has resurrected a long forgotten patriot of modding Colonization...me, the Ghost of Kailric:) I am so very flattered that you'd mention Medieval: Conquest, a labor of love of mine for quite some time. And yes, you can dream. I still do.

I've never actually read any post where someone offered to pay to help in the development of a mod. With the rise of such sites as Patreon, I could see this happening though. Maybe it already is, I'm so out of the loop in the modding scene. But obviously, it would take some good leadership to set it up and handle correctly.

I'm not on the WTP team, but if they was needing some cool art, I could see people being able to help with that. With sites like fiverr.com it would be pretty easy to do as well. I've had many ideas on some new art pieces for M:C back when I was working on it and considered using fiverr to get them done. If someone said to me (for example) that they'd pay to have the Leatherworker reskinned with a cool animation I'd be all for it. I don't see that being an issue in the modding scene as the modder isn't actually getting paid.

But, speaking of pipe dreams, mine is to turn M:C into a standalone production, with full creative rights. With asset stores such that as Unity has with it's Turn Based Tool kits and other appropriate assets for sale it would be much easier and faster to produce. If I had my younger days back, I think I would pursue just that.

Anyway, Vaulter, nice to meet you. Hopefully they can find some way for you to contribute. I'm super glad you enjoyed the M:C mod, and I do apologize for abandoning it.

@Kailric
Nice to see you at CivFanatics again. :)

I'm not on the WTP team, ...
Well, that could easily be changed actually ... :mischief:

But, speaking of pipe dreams, mine is to turn M:C into a standalone production, with full creative rights.
I fully understand your desire for that. :thumbsup:
Which modder does not dream about working on his baby "full time" with "full creative rights".

At the moment though I am completely happy with working on WTP with the team. :)
Still sometimes dream of turning WTP or Path to the Throne into a full time project.

It is not even really about money as some might falsely believe...
It is just about doing full time what you like and being fully creative ...

Last edited:
It is not even really about money as some might falsely believe...
It is just about doing full time what you like and being fully creative ...

That is the truth. I've found out that once you start trying to make money off your dream, it turns into a job, and you can get burnt out really quick. Keep up the good "work", Ray!:thumbsup:

And completely avoided my Rimworld mod :sad:
To be fair, it's abandoned at this point. Updates in the core game made it much less needed.

Yeah, that was a core mod for me back in 1.0, but that's on of the problems I have with Rimworld and other modable games. Base game updates break mods and force updates. With Steam's auto-update, this destroys saves. That's why I love We The People so much. It's self-contained and I can just press play. But most importantly, I can finish saves before downloading the new update.

When We The People started, I moved from Medieval Conquest and stated that my personal goal would be to get the DLL code to become "mod independent" in the sense that it would work for those two mods as well. That transition of the DLL isn't done, but I didn't hurry because I ran out of xml modders to work with. It's still on the roadmap though should there be an interest at some point.

Well, hopefully I can learn a thing or two and help out. I know we're a long way out but at least there's hope for an intergration.

This post has resurrected a long forgotten patriot of modding Colonization...me, the Ghost of Kailric:) I am so very flattered that you'd mention Medieval: Conquest, a labor of love of mine for quite some time. And yes, you can dream. I still do.

I'm glad my break from silence could rile your spirit.

I've never actually read any post where someone offered to pay to help in the development of a mod. With the rise of such sites as Patreon, I could see this happening though. Maybe it already is, I'm so out of the loop in the modding scene. But obviously, it would take some good leadership to set it up and handle correctly.

I'm not on the WTP team, but if they was needing some cool art, I could see people being able to help with that. With sites like fiverr.com it would be pretty easy to do as well. I've had many ideas on some new art pieces for M:C back when I was working on it and considered using fiverr to get them done. If someone said to me (for example) that they'd pay to have the Leatherworker reskinned with a cool animation I'd be all for it. I don't see that being an issue in the modding scene as the modder isn't actually getting paid.

I'd rather not go against the grain with raystuttgart. Although, with their permission, I would gladly pay for commisions. In fact, you could probably help me with my original problem, but I also wouldn't want to disappoint Nightinggale. It was their challenge to me afterall. We'll cross that bridge when we reach it.

But, speaking of pipe dreams, mine is to turn M:C into a standalone production, with full creative rights. With asset stores such that as Unity has with it's Turn Based Tool kits and other appropriate assets for sale it would be much easier and faster to produce. If I had my younger days back, I think I would pursue just that.

Anyway, Vaulter, nice to meet you. Hopefully they can find some way for you to contribute. I'm super glad you enjoyed the M:C mod, and I do apologize for abandoning it.

Well met. And don't think it's so much of a pipe dream. Terra Invicta from Pavonis Interactive is slated to drop later this year. And that maifested from an XCOM mod. You just need a team. Maybe build some relationships here with the WTP team and who knows? Maybe we'll all be working in an office together one day, haha! Now that's a pipe dream.

Don't apologize for abandoning it. Your systems were pretty complex. I couldn't imagine constantly trying to explain it to people and balance the game at the same time, on top of polishing it. Especally alone. I'm completely satisfied with the FREE entertainment you provided me. And you still have the best main menu music of any CIV mod out there.

I'd rather not go against the grain with raystuttgart. Although, with their permission, I would gladly pay for commisions.
Please, let us stop this talk about money or having somebody pay for graphics we need when it comes to WTP. :thumbsup:

Either people are intrinsically motivated to help by investing their own time and effort because they like our mod or they are not.
We do not want to have people to work for us because they got paid and we also do not want to have community members pay others to do so.

First of all we had given that promise to community and team when we started this mod project and in all its predecssor projects as well.
And we are not going to break our word. Who should ever trust our word again if we did?

Second of all the Civ4Col modding community and the spirit of us modders I have experienced here are idealistic, altruistic and passionate.
And we are not going to be the modders who throw the first stones that break that modding spirit by involving money ...

----

Summary:

WTP is and will stay a free mod that is built through passion and effort.
Nobody has to pay for playing and nobody will be paid for creating it.
Our words and our hertiage binds us.

As long as this project continues we will keep it like that. :thumbsup:
How long we will continue and what comes after that, depend on team and community.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

has anybody of you ever seen graphics for an Animal "Anaconda"? :think:
(It would like to use it for our new Terrain Feature "Mangroves". e.g. a small event.)

Forget this post, it is outdated.
I am back modding on the core mod with the team. :badcomp:
Spoiler :

Hi guys,

This concept here being cancelled was causing me yesterday to tell @Nightinggale and the team
that I will quit WTP core mod and start my own private WTP modmod (which I will not publish myself) ...

Simply because I want to finish my branch "Plains" in a meaningful manner and generally implement my personal vision.
Withouth these Yields I simply can not create the gameplay that I want to create ...

Implementing my "vision" for this mod is simply more important to me than being a "public modder".
That visions are not compatible and personal tastes are different is of course completely normal though.

I was asking for open and honest feedback and I got it.
Fair enough and I will of course accept the decision. :thumbsup:

-----

I promised I would never push anything into WTP core mod if WTP team members and community do not want it. :dunno:
Now forcing a decision in my favour by "blackmailing" is thus not possible and would set a bad example.

It would cause too much anger, disagreements and leave a foul taste ...
It is simply also against all my principles as a modder.

Thus I rather leave in friendship. :hug:

-----

I will continue to cooperate with WTP team and share my work do not worry. :thumbsup:
WTP team can merge, leave out, modify, further improve and of course also publish my work as it considers appropriate.

I will not publish myself though and access to my work will be limited exculsively to WTP team, as well as other modding friends.
All my discussions about new concepts and updates on my implementation will end in public. (Internally I will keep WTP team up to date.)

Everything else would create a competition between my own work and WTP core mod content that I do not want to have.
(Publically discussing about my work before WTP team decided if it shall be integrated or not would also put pressure on WTP team.)

-----

Summary:

As I said, I will simply become a private modder again that can freely implement his vision.
I will otherwise stay in contact with WTP team, share and cooperate and of course also try to support if I can.

I will of course still be around and also answer questions about my old stuff.
I am in good hope that some new modders may be inspired to start modding themselves.

-----

Please accept my decision. :)

It really is nothing personal and I had a great time with WTP team. :grouphug:
I simply want to be a free private modder again that does not need to make compromises.

Maybe in a few years I will change my mind again as I have done several times already and become a public modder again. :dunno:
I wish all remaining modders a lot of fun modding.

Keep up the modding spirit. :thumbsup:
Never stop dreaming ! :)

Best regards
ray

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am looking for good 3D graphics for an Improvement "Ship Canal". (That may allow ships to pass a land plot, buildable by Pioneers.)
It should of course fit the colonial time period. (Colonization of the Americas, Columbus till War of Independence)

Please help. :hug:
Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

I also have an according request in the Civ4BTS forum. (link)

Last edited:
The first canal built in the US was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Hadley_Canal
in 1795 and it allowed to use the Connecticut River for flat boats for shipping as it circumvented a fall in the river.

So canals come late in the game, when considering the normal games time from 1419-1819, and are only a transition in transport until railroads connect the cities and the faster transport makes most of them obsolete again.

The first canal built in the US was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Hadley_Canal
in 1795 and it allowed to use the Connecticut River for flat boats for shipping as it circumvented a fall in the river.
Yes, but currently players build Forts just to serve as canal.
That is even worse to me, so I will rather implement a dedicated Canal Improvement. :dunno:

Games need to have compromises sometimes. And I will try to make it immersvie.
(And no, I will not allow 10 Plots long canals - max. lenght will be 1 to more through a small piece of land.)

I would still prefer to build a Fort rather than build a Canal . so I will have protection from military penetration into my territory. the Canal will not give this.

I would still prefer to build a Fort rather than build a Canal . so I will have protection from military penetration into my territory. the Canal will not give this.
Yes, but I plan to take away "Canal" functionality from Forts.

It is a bit unimmersive to abuse Forts like this.
(Has anybody ever heard of Ships sailing through Forts ? :confused:)

Summary:

I plan to separate the 2:

Forts --> Protection but no more "Canal" (Ships passing)
Canal --> "Canal" (Ships passing) but no Protection

Player will have to decide if he really wants to have a "Canal" or a "Fort".
More decisions --> more strategy --> more fun. :thumbsup:

By the way:
Canals will not be allowed to become longer than 1 Plot.
(I do not want to create an exploit mechanic for deep inland cities.)

Theoretically you could create however chains like this:
1. City -> 2. Canal --> 3. Lake Plot --> 4. Canal --> 5. Ocean.

Last edited:
Yes, but I plan to take away "Canal" functionality from Forts.

It is a bit unimmersive to abuse Forts like this.
(Has anybody ever heard of Ships sailing through Forts ? :confused:)

The Enchanted Princess sails FROM Ft. Lauderdale
https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-n...her long-awaited maiden voyage on November 10.

And there even has been sailing THROUGH a fort...
https://history.nebraska.gov/blog/sailing-through-fort-kearny-wind-wagon

Summary:

I plan to separate the 2:

Canal --> "Canal" (Ships passing) but no Protection

Player will have to decide if he really wants to have a "Canal" or a "Fort".
More decisions --> more strategy --> more fun. :thumbsup:

By the way:
Canals will not be allowed to become longer than 1 Plot.
(I do not want to create an exploit mechanic for deep inland cities.)

Theoretically you could create however chains like this:
1. City -> 2. Canal --> 3. Lake Plot --> 4. Canal --> 5. Ocean.

Considering a 5X5 city (2plot) would that work?

XXX
=X=
XXX

with = being the canal connecting the city in the middle to e.g. large rivers / lakes / oceans on the sides?

Should canals have further restrictions? e.g. they must follow normal rivers for the needed water to fill the canal?

So ships won't be able to enter forts? Isn't it unimmersive, especially for forts on single-tile islands? Should players put canals there instead? \=

Isn't it unimmersive, especially for forts on single-tile islands?
In fact sailing through forts (aka "Fortification") is really unimmversive.

The mentioned "Ft. Lauderdale" above is really a City with a harbour - it is not just a "Fortification".
(The settlement was simply called after the Fort it was built around - but it is not just a "Fortification".)

A Fort simply does not say it has a harbour, and a Fort is not a City.
Guys, you confused "Forts" (as Fortification) with "Fortified Cities" (City with e.g. Barricades) - 2 totally different things.

----

Why do you need to sail through a "single tile" island anyways. :dunno:

----

But ok:

But since some people seem to like that mechanic and also want to continue "abusing it as canal", I will leave it in there. :)
I will most likely still implement the "Canal Feature" though. (Because I have cool ideas for it.)

Just have a bit of patience please to see the result in the end. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: nci
Top Bottom