Weird/Annoying Text Glitch

bunny_lard

Chieftain
My deepest apologies if this is a repost, but it's quite an annoying glitch.

So recently I decided to evoke some nostalgia by firing up Civ 3: PTW. After fixing the classic error 28, I was ready to start owning...or so I thought. For you see...well, this is what I see:

Apparently, at some point somewhere, it's looking for the wrong text. This applies in other areas, as well (notice the pop up text box over my mouse):

What I want to know is how I can fix this, and whether or not it has anything to do with this:

As far as I can tell, the game runs fine. And, contrary to what that error message would have one believe, the sound is ok as well. There's really nothing impeding me from playing, it's just that this is seriously annoying. So, any thoughts?
Thank you.

I would uninstall and reinstall.

And, since the purpose of the uninstall was to fix an error, I would take time to do some spyware checking, registry cleaning, etc, just to make sure it wasn't my fault in some way. That is probably overkill, but I know how laggard I am at home on doing that stuff. :D

hm, I was thinking that as well. I'll try that later today.

ok, so I tried patching, but it didn't seem to do anything; the glitch is still there and everything else looks more or less identical. This could be because I had to re=apply the crack I had downloaded, but I'm not certain.

ok, so I tried patching, but it didn't seem to do anything; the glitch is still there and everything else looks more or less identical. This could be because I had to re=apply the crack I had downloaded, but I'm not certain.

I thought you might be using a crack. Try de-installing the patch (and any others you may have applied previously) and running the executable that came with the CD (if you overwrote that file when applying the crack, you'll have to re-install). The text should go back to normal at that point.

Beyond that, I know what the problem is, but you'll need to run the CD-supplied executable before you'll get further help. Reason being that we need to know that you're running a legit copy, and if you are, you shouldn't have any trouble restoring Civ to a working state by the method I outlined in the previous paragraph (or, failing that, reinstalling).

I thought you might be using a crack. Try de-installing the patch (and any others you may have applied previously) and running the executable that came with the CD (if you overwrote that file when applying the crack, you'll have to re-install). The text should go back to normal at that point.

Beyond that, I know what the problem is, but you'll need to run the CD-supplied executable before you'll get further help. Reason being that we need to know that you're running a legit copy, and if you are, you shouldn't have any trouble restoring Civ to a working state by the method I outlined in the previous paragraph (or, failing that, reinstalling).

ahh, well in that case I am a bit screwed, since the whole reason I was using a crack was because I lost the CD. Luckily, I found out that my copy of Civ 3 Conquests still runs totally fine, and I was able to get in a little bit of multiplayer action this weekend. That should suit me just fine. I'd like to fix this glitch with PTW, but I can live without it, since it's now been established that I don't really need it. Anyway, thanks for the help all.

Top Bottom