1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Welsh civilization?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by TyrannusRex, Mar 1, 2018.

1. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Chieftain

So, what do you folks think would make a good Welsh civilization? I'm only starting to learn about Wales, so I don't know too much about historic leaders, unique cultural elements, etc. So I figured I'd see what you had to say. :)

(The only thing I know I would want with, say, a Wales DLC, is a new achievement, unlocked by trading whales with Wales.)

2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I like wales, I'm of Welsh descent, but I don't know. They mostly seem to be known for being England's pushovers.

The city name list would be extremely fun though. :)

3. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Chieftain

Oh, the cities... :nya: I want there to be like a .5% chance that one of the cities you found is that one with the world's longest name XD

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  4. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

"Pushover" is not correct, but yeah, even the greatest Princes of Wales would usually find themselves on the losing side of battles with their larger neighbour. As a result, it's kind of hard to justify any leader abilities that aren't going to be overly similar to similar underdogs Lautaro and Robert the Bruce (i.e. defensive war bonuses against strong neighbours).

The best candidates for leader would probably be Owain Gwynedd, or his grandson Llywelyn the Great. An earlier "King of the Britons" would be cool, but many of these early rulers are obscure and the necessary details largely lost to history. I suppose the guy with the most name recognition would be Owain Glynd┼Ár, also in the same vein of ultimately failed rebellion as Lautaro.

Unique unit would have to be the longbowman, especially since the English don't have it.

I can't think of a good candidate for infrastructure (a Rugby Pitch instead of the stadium, perhaps!), but the civ ability would have to be a cultural one, as Wales has an ancient literary and poetic tradition from Taliesin through Geoffrey of Monmouth all the way up to Dylan Thomas. It could be based around the Eisteddfod and particularly boost Great Writers.

While the village's actual name, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll is certainly long enough, the "full" form (which was, alas, made up as a tourist gimmick in the 19th century) is only the second longest single-word place name in the world :p So it wasn't even worth it... :lol:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Victoria and TyrannusRex like this.
  5. awesome

awesome Chieftain

...King Arthur

6. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Chieftain

Technically "Artorius" to history, but sadly, even more sketchy than Gilgamesh.

7. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Lieutenant Commander

My grandfather is Welsh, but I've never been.

What about
    -Forts are unlocked with the Castles tech and always exert zone of control.
    -Sacred Grove: replaces the Holy Site. Must be built on a forest tile. Minor adjacency bonus from mountains, full adjacency bonus from forests. +1 great writer points after drama and poetry.
    -Unit?

I also feel like sheep should be incorporated in some way (not in that way).

8. MaryKB

MaryKB Chieftain

Would the Welsh be different from the Celts? I am not an expert on British history, but I do know that Cardiff is usually a Celtic city when that civilization has been included in the game.

9. dunkleosteus

The Celts were a very geographically diverse people. Welsh is part of one of the Celtic branches, but to have a single Celtic civilization would be akin to having a civ called "East Asia".

10. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

Having learned a bit more, I've reassessed to say that my favourite leader pick would be the one and only King of Wales - Gruffydd ap Llywelyn (not to be confused with Llywelyn ap Gruffudd... yep names can be confusing). A successful leader in his own right, not just in opposition to the English (in fact he nicked some border regions off Edward the Confessor). Plus he's genuinely King, not just a Prince.

11. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Well, it looks like the Celtic blob won't be returning since Edinburgh, which is definitely a Scottish city now, was the capital of them last game. It's perfectly feasible to have the Welsh now or Ireland, Gaul etc.

12. dunkleosteus

The "Celts" in Civ 5 was kind of a point of contention for some in previous Civ games. Saying the "Celts" are a single people is sort of like saying the Slavs are a single people. In the last millennium BC (a century or so before Boudica lived), Celtic tribes inhabited Ireland and most of Great Britain. They stretched from Northern Spain to the Netherlands, south through France to Northern Italy and as far east as the Black Sea and Anatolia. Boudica wasn't even really Welsh. Her people lived in East Anglia and she had only a passing relationship with Welsh tribes.

13. Sinaherib

Sinaherib Chieftain

I believe another "Celtic" civ (besides Scotland) can really appear in Civ VI, but speaking of its possible leader - I think it will be a person with a much more "Celtic" apprerance (language, outfit, background etc), since "Medieval Celts" are already represented by Scotland. So, Wales or not, but anyway I doubt it will have a Medieval king as a leader. Wales can appear but it is more likely to be something like Denmark (Vikings) from Civ 5, while Scotland can be compared to Sweden in this case.

14. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I mean Wales only really existence as an independent identity in the Middle Ages, so short of making Boudicca the leader or some other such absurdity, they're really not a viable option (but who honestly thought we'd see a third civ from the same island? :p). I'd much rather see Gaul as a more ancient Celtic civ.

While this is of course true, and she would be an awful pick for Welsh leader, the concept of Welshness did not even nearly exist in Boudicca's day. There were tribes like the Silures and the Ordovices that inhabited what would become Wales, but the Welsh (or Cymry) identity gradually grew more generally out of the remaining Celtic-speaking people who identified as the Britons (Brythoniaid), who could, if they were feeling romantic, trace a link back to the Iceni and Boudicca. In fact both terms referred more generally to all Brythonic-speaking people until they were pushed out of England entirely into Wales and Cornwall.

15. dunkleosteus

It would be like making Berlin a city for an ancient tribe of Saxons.

Uberfrog likes this.