What about 2 Units per Hex or 3 UPH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skallben

Diplomat
I think we can all agree that 1 Unit per Hex system have shown its limitations long ago. Most obvious is the overcrowding of map space and the AI:s consistent failure at tactical combat. We can now stack embarked units with naval, something we could not initially do, but what if we could stack more unit types together? Say one ranged and a melee for instance. Or any mix of units?

1 UPH was and still is an excellent way of getting rid of stacks of doom. Resolving big battles could take ridicilous amounts of time and war was a really volatile enterprise when 100s of units could come out of the railroaded fog and leave hyperspace a turn away from one of your border cities. I few wants this back.

Logistics is a terrible thing in V, I keep debating myself where to put newly produced units if I'm in peace time. Roads and railroads, as we all know, have a cost in V, meaning less roads on the map. Less road restricts mobility, giving us an advantage over the AI and making invasions horrible for both us and the AI. Why? Because a human player can spam roads on conflicted border zones to be able to quicker deploy artillery or other ranged units. This is also one reason air units will always be superior in V, because logistics is so much easier when you can stack freely.

Eventually the roads become full, because you want to keep your army ready to deploy so you keep them on the road network. Movement is now tiresome and requires planning. Unless you place your units out in the bushes, which has it's own obvious downsides. What also gets lost from Civ IV is the rock, scissor, paper mechanics of defending a tile with different unit types. More so, we have terrain specific promotions. The result is a bit too binary for my taste.

So bottom line is, I call 1UPH cumbersome and arbitrary. We already have partial stacking, why not consider options that would be superior to the current system?
Before you reply from your gut, ask yourself how many of the AI:s poorly placed an unprotected siege units have you basically killed for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom