What about allow cities work 4 tiles away from some tech\building?

Does we need such think?

• Yes

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 80.0%

• Total voters

bigcat88

King
I saw many times when some resources(fish\attols\some sheep\etc) are 4 tiles away from your city, and there is not always a way to build a city there(no more space, or some terrain trouble). And it is terrible.
So I think that there will be a good solution to add some building in industrial era or during some tech in that era to allow cities work one tile more.
I know that there is a mod allowing that, but it's unbalanced I think(he modifies Hanging Gardens and imperialism branch as I remember) and I want to see such change without mods.

And what do u think? Will such change add some troubles or some unbalance? What cons of such change can appear?

Why is it terrible? You are still working a 3 tiles radius. Resources, like SLGray says, can be acquired, only not worked. Just missing a fish here and there is not reason enough. Not really needed.

But I also see potential problems. If the expected radius of a city working tiles is 4, some players would try to play hyper tall, leaving not 6 but 8 tiles between cities. A tradition player succeeding with this strategy might be too strong for the current balance.

Ok, looks like it's only my problems - I just cant look at tiles with some res that cant be worked.
Just too greedy :D

Last edited:
I think it would bring too many balance problems, open the question of suitability of the minimal distance required between cities as of now, and ultimately not resolve the main crux of the issues, i.e. that sometimes even with the best planing some tiles will remain unworkable by any city.

That's why I say about building or tech in Industrial era, not earlier. Till industrial era, u will get an enemy city between ur cities if u place it far then usual. So u cant just go tall that way, u will get all cities separated )

Maybe a wonder or a special civ ability that will make you use 4 tile distance! That could be interesting.

Indian cities can work an additional tile~
Hanging garden allows you to work an additional tile (only in the city in which it is built)

If its easy to code I don't see why not, in industrial or atomic.(if there already is a mod ?)
And it could be only naturally acquired (or other cities) tiles so America doesnt get disgusting.

+Much real

Because not everybody likes this feature, so it goes better as a modmod.

k..

Apart from not a single rational counterargument being in the thread(only yours maybe) so far,
I can see that 20 ppl voted against it, also without commenting whats the problem with it.

Why is it terrible?

But the potential problems you presented are also, at least, very unlikely. (If you started getting the more radius in, for example industrial by a tech.)
That I dont feel I really need to elaborate, its just soo minor impact realistically.

The pros are mostly those that its a little bit more real.
Allows a little bit more micromanaging between cities late game.
In the tundra with your horsehockey city you can get that oil + Now Work it too.

Or maybe im missing stg
And again its just based on my experience and placing like 1/10 of your cities 1 tile away so you Can work like +1 tile starting in industrial really is
too strong for the current balance.

Just missing a fish here and there is not reason enough. Not really needed.

? Not a reason enough for what? To code?

That's why I prevented cities from expanding 5 tiles out of their tile, but only four.

Mod is already included in VP. You just need to change the values in CustomModTables
<Name>MAXIMUM_WORK_PLOT_DISTANCE</Name>
<Value>3</Value> (maximum 5)

Let me give you one big reason. Performance. Adding another ring of tiles around a city would be a massive performance hit.
I ve been playing with 4 rings per city and i didn't see any difference performance wise. Regarding balance, its a bit OP if you play america. Other than that , its fine.

k..

Apart from not a single rational counterargument being in the thread(only yours maybe) so far,
I can see that 20 ppl voted against it, also without commenting whats the problem with it.
I am one of those "against without comment". It wasn't a strong disagreement, or any reason against. It was just a "not interested". I have no problems against having this mechanism given to a Civ, a tenet or policy, or anything, but I don't see any good reason to give it to everyone, since the current situation is good to me.

Top Bottom