What are the least successful Civ AIs?

Now that I've personally seen Sweden have some modest success and have read of others seeing a dominant Denmark, my new low Civ is Carthage. Many rolls with them and they have done nothing of significance in any game.

Anyone see anything different with an AI controlled Carthage ?

Now that I've personally seen Sweden have some modest success and have read of others seeing a dominant Denmark, my new low Civ is Carthage. Many rolls with them and they have done nothing of significance in any game.

Anyone see anything different with an AI controlled Carthage ?

I'm not even sure if I've seen any difference when I control Carthage.... They never seem to accomplish anything.

I often find that England does exceedingly well in any game I play vs them, especially if you let them get longbowmen. China is a very balanced and difficult foe due to the fact that the cho-ko-nu are very strong, and the boost to libraries (paper makers) and great generals always ensure they have a formidible army.

Japan and the Aztec's always seem to do quite well due to their paced but vicious early war tactics.

The overly-warlike early game civs like the huns and the khans will either burn themselves out trying to conquer the early-game map and get swallowed, or acquire a bunch of land early game and run away with the game, but it's a toss up.

For some reason, although when I play him I do very well, Nebuchadnezzar AI always seems to blow the game. No clue why, he has a very good early game UU and civ.

Last Immortal game I played was as Korea on an OCC (2nd immortal game, won turn 310 Spaceship. YAY!!!). Other civs were Russia, Austria, China, Byzantium, Germany, Songhai and some other guy I forget cuz he got eradicated quite early. Started smack dab in the middle of the Pangaea with no Aluminum on sight (as I found out after I researched Electricity).

Theodora was the earth's Bestest Best Friend in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD. A DOF with them secured Friendly relations with pretty much everyone else (Girl gets around quite a bit, I presume), even if people were giving signs of being a little stabby-stabby.

Come Industrial, she declared war on me. Apparently for kicks since she did it when Germany was just "feigning friendship" with me, hoping that his Landsknecht carpet can take me over. 5 Crossbows were enough to repel his attack. Germany will continue to do this until the end of them game (I bribe Austria a paltry 78 Gold to war with him. Nukes went flying).

Eventually, Theodora was swallowed up by Cathy, Wu by Napoleon (this was long overdue, Germany captured Beijing a thousand years ago), Askia by Cathy again and part of Bismarck's lands by Maria Theresa. Interesting to note that by the time the game ended, only 4 CSes were left. Everything else were either conquered and not Liberated, and all the rest were Married (Austria had a massive 800 GPT at one point). My tiny nation of Seoul was the only thing separating Maria Theresa and Cathy, who were sworn enemies who were BOTH gamelong friends of mine.

Some constants:
Cathy seems to do well in every game I see her in. She'll amass a ridiculous amount of land and will seem to conquer a lot when left alone. Maria Theresa, well, that's the first time I saw her get ridiculous. I was playing a Maya game a while back and when she conquered a CS pre-turn 100, I came in and puppeted both her cities (the CS and her cap.) Theodora tends to stay small (like playing a proper 4-city Tradition opener) provided she doesn't get conquered.

The huns, surprisingly. Even if they take over somebody's Capital they're still pretty bad in tech but has a bunch of battering rams and horse archers when everybody have pikemen and knights ready to crush him at some point.

Huns are OP when played by a human but UP as an AI.

Iroqouis, Greeks and Babylonians always seem to do well.

I've seen Babylon and Greece trip up, at times, but I agree fully with the Iroqouis. The Iroqouis can defend themselves more easily (their UA, coupled with start bias, means that they can use decent defensive terrain - forests - as roads), and their UB usually adds a great amount of production later on.

I almost never see the Iroqouis wiped out - unless I'm the one doing it.

I'm just finishing a game, was running away with science and now changing it to diplo due to what I see on the other side of the world. Greece and France are sitting on about 5 cities each, Siam has his capital and a puppet, and England has 4 coastal cities and nothing else. This is on a huge map (I took over my continent and have about 30 cities and still have plenty of dead land, so just imagine their spaces).

Not that I expected the other side of the world to put up a fight after running away, but each of those civs just took a hit in respect for playing so so poorly, most of all Japan, since Siam's puppet is Kyoto.

dido is really bad ... but imo carthage is the hardest civ to play at deity on standard map ... so i will not blame the IA

dido is really bad ... but imo carthage is the hardest civ to play at deity on standard map ... so i will not blame the IA

I think adding the ability to move over mountains just hinders the AI even more. Couple that with having a ranged naval unit to start with probably just messes them up.

The AI is terrible at mountain moving. They don't realize they will die 2 turns of ending on a mountain and since the mountain is "treated like road" they go on them...often.

Attila is like funny.

I mean, I saw him zergrush Washington when he was busy out west with trying to capture this capital with Great Wall. The Huns bagged Washington, but this didn't stop Washington from taking the GW Capital, and then turning back to smash the Huns out of DC.

Poor Huns then got divided between the Americans, me (temporarily), the Japanese... and finally the Japanese.

Spoiler :

I think adding the ability to move over mountains just hinders the AI even more. Couple that with having a ranged naval unit to start with probably just messes them up.

The Carthage UU isn't a ranged naval unit. It's just a trireme with a tad more power. You're thinking of Byzantium. However, the moving over mountains...yeah, the AI is terrible with it. It can allow the human to do some pretty cool things in the right situation, but the AI loves to treat it like any flat land.

Egypt. Make a bunch of wonders and then get taken over because they try pitching War Chariots against Crossbowmen.

Top Bottom