What Are You Listening To (Classical Version)?

As announced, I am going to present music from the German Democratic Republic.
Paul Dessau is together with Hanns Eisler regarded as the most prominent composer of the GDR. The piece below is written in commemoration of one of the greatest poets (and no mean playwright either) in our time; Bertolt Brecht.

Link to video.

Seems like I am last man standing. Never mind that; I have plenty to post.
Back to Bruckner, symphony No.6 this time.
This version is with Günther Wand conducting Cologne Broadcasting Symphony Orchestra.

Link to video.

One of the many fine discs made by Le Concert des Nations and Jordi Savall; orchestral suites by Jean-Baptiste Lully, for many years the principal composer of the Sun King.

Link to video.

First of all, good to know that you are OK . All my best wishes for you and your very charming girlfriend.
Secondly, thanks for a fantastic piece of music; one of my favourite symphonies by one of my favorite composers whom I actually introduced on this forum some years ago in one of my history quizzes. Kraus was one of the foremost musical exponents for the Sturm und Drang movement and it is a pity that he, just like Mozart, died so early.
The weather is fortunately much calmer here, so I continue my dinner with Telemann:

Link to video.

Here is an unsung composer I fortunately discovered a couple of years ago, and since that I have tried to get my hands on as much of his music as I could. That composer is Julius Röntgen.
Here is his 8th symphony, with piano, human voice and Norwegian folk music. You need talent to make all that work together. Röntgen does it famously.

Link to video.

Another of Boccherini's little symphonic gems. Quite an interesting interpretation by Mangiocavallo & co, even if I must admit I prefer the one by Savall.

Link to video.

Johann Hermann Schein: Suites from Banchetto Musicale
Schein was one of the most important composers of the fascinating era that was the Early Baroque, and this is an important contribution towards the development of the fully fledged instumental suites as written by JS. Bach, Graupner, Handel, Telemann and many other. And besides, it is just very nice to listen to...
I leave to you to decide if this music is better with or without brass.

Link to video.

Arnold Schönberg: Pierrot Lunaire
I realize this is not everybody's cup of tea, but i find this haunting piece immensively fascinating.

Link to video.

A bit of whimsy by Richard Strauss; the D minor Burleske for piano and orchestra, here in a version with Denis Matsuyev as soloist and the State Symphony Orchestra of Russia conducted by Mark Gorenstein.

Link to video.

First of all, good to know that you are OK . All my best wishes for you and your very charming girlfriend.
Secondly, thanks for a fantastic piece of music; one of my favourite symphonies by one of my favorite composers whom I actually introduced on this forum some years ago in one of my history quizzes. Kraus was one of the foremost musical exponents for the Sturm und Drang movement and it is a pity that he, just like Mozart, died so early.
The weather is fortunately much calmer here, so I continue my dinner with Telemann:

Link to video.

Sturm und Drang is definitely a movement I enjoy. I don't always think art movements translate across media so well (like cubism, for example, which belongs nowhere in architecture), but those Romantics did a fantastic job of it. Also, thank you for posting some more Kraus!

I apologize for my absence from this thread. I shall attempt to make up for it with this wonderful piece by a composer I only discovered in the last year or so.

Link to video.

EDIT: I saw this year's first snow flakes last night, so now this song is on my mind.

Link to video.

Top Bottom