1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are Your Biggest Criticisms of Civ VI Maps?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by blackbutterfly, Jul 14, 2018.

1. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

... and, yeah, also what he said.

...actually, what he said first. You can get to my stuff later.

Pietato likes this.
  2. Naktis

Naktis Warlord

The lack of maps , and more custumization for the maps , ability to choose how many continents , and some other features. Oh and ability to choose location where aprox each civ could appear.

comatosedragon and acluewithout like this.
  3. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly King

You already sort of can choose the number of continents. It's determined by the map size.

In Civ VI this is really Continental Plates. Or in some cases sub continent. E.g. on Pangaea.

4. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

You can't plant woods next to lakes. Makes no sense.

Also, I often get one very big continent while the others are all pretty small (not land mass, but Civ VI continent). This means four luxes that almost everyone has and very limited access too the other luxes. I've had this happen on a variety of the Firaxis map scripts and standard to huge map sizes.

5. Bechhold

Bechhold King

That there are not Huge Maps for Earth and TSL Earth. That and spawn sites for civs are way too close.

6. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly King

@Bechhold Have you tried YnAMP? Or have a look at mine. See UN Earth Maps Pack. Both have TSL.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  7. sixty4half

sixty4half Prince

I wish they had more map types, like the Large Islands or Small Continents, the Lakes or the Great Plains maps from 4 and 5. Just overall, there aren't nearly as many map options as there were in the older versions.

CSs always seem to be so far away from me, but right next door to the AI. This means that they are harder to defend and the ones that do survive are met first by other civs.

I hate that encampments spawn 1 tile outside my borders and then proceed to dump barbarians all over my city for the next few turns.

CSs always get the best Natural Wonders!!!

blackbutterfly likes this.
  8. montalaar

montalaar Chieftain

i play almost only pangeas. or continents.
    two things:
    pangea. lakes, they really feel out of any real world situation.
    pangea. islands. why pangea do not have islands at all? small, few hex islands would be welcome, even in the middle of ocean.

edit: third issue. clustering of capitals. today game. few moves, georgia. ok. other direction. one two moves - gilgamesh. fine. same river with my capital, maybe 7 tiles away nubia. this is garbage. standart map, pangea, no mods. it is restart of map right there(if you do not want go war and all the way ahead all game, all civs will hate me).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    blackbutterfly and plasmacannon like this.
  9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It would be great if Firaxis had included their own Terra map for Civ VI.

For now, we have to settle for YnAMP's Terra map (which is actually superior).

It's always good to have more choices, including from official ones.

MrRadar and tzu like this.
  10. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

My gripe with Civ6 maps is that I only play Fractal because it's the only interesting one for a game that guarantees a bit of unpredictability and dynamism.
    The inner sea one in particular is really crappy.

Smaller lakes are typically round in shape in nature. Civ6 maps reflect this pretty well, since 1-tile lakes are the smallest possible and are round.

11. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

clustering of capitals is typical of pangeas and continents, which is why these 2 maps suck big time. Why do you only play them if you don't like the clustering?
    About islands and pangea... pangea in its very meaning means no islands, heh.

12. SharTeel

SharTeel Chieftain

Number of continents tied to map size, which means that Continents map type is unbalanced (luxury diversity) on smaller map sizes

13. seankhan

seankhan Chieftain

the maps are oversized,way way to big,4 cities per civilization is enough.i drop down a size and add 2 civs.(tiny map 6 civs.)

14. KAL_MAD

KAL_MAD Chieftain

• Civs spawns too close to each others
    • The map settings rarely work: I always choose dry for less forests and jungles but it doesn't work
    • I want a map where there is variety: I want a one big content with many islands surrounding it
    • Too much god damn snow and tundra. It is either ice age or deserts, if you choose standard the snow is still too much

ZubieMaster likes this.
  15. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Prince

My biggest complaint is the initials spawns. Often times the civs are too close, especially with the AI starting with multiple settlers. And then of course they're programmed to forward settle you at all costs. And the icing is not always having the strategic resources to put them in their place. :(

16. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Civs spawning too close is my biggest gripe.
    I dread seeing Aztecs or Nubia within 10 tiles of my initial start.
    More map scripts and more TSL maps would be good.
    We've got 5 American civs which would be enough for a small TSL map of the Americas. East Asia could do with a larger map.

17. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

This doesn't apply to all the the map scripts but I sometimes (often?) find a lack of interesting oceanic geography (bays, straights, channels, inland "seas" etc.)

I like these features because it adds a neat strategic favor to the game. A few well placed frigates can dominate a whole region. For historical comparisons, check out the straight of Gibraltar, the Mediterranean Sea, the Mallaca Strait, The Caribean Sea and a host of others.

Socrates99 and tzu like this.
  18. Villager720

Villager720 Warlord

I wish continents looked different like in CiV.
    Also, having natural boundaries between continents, as someone else mentioned, would be nice too.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  19. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Fractals are ALWAYS a pangea.

Civ 5 and Civ 4 fractals worked perfectly, but hey, here is something that works well... let's change it!

ZubieMaster likes this.
  20. Stomper66

Stomper66 Warlord

I agree it took me while getting used to the design of the wood and rainforest tiles, especially the rainforest tiles as they always used to appear as a ugly, thin band on the world equator. I do miss the way these tiles looked in Civ5 where the world looked a lot wilder and realistic. I have got used to the Civ5 art style but it could be improved. Maybe bring more woodland variety, make them more dense and include things like waterfalls, lake chains and canyons to make the world more varied and attractive.