What are your top 3 favorite civs to play?

Greece, because their diplomacy bonus makes holding city-state alliances easier and more beneficial for a warmongerer; Hoplites are a nice early UU. Also, because their start bias is nice for production.
Denmark, because of their UB. Also makes pillaging easier and more beneficial.
Shoshone, because they are a powerful wide civ that you can't really go wrong with.

Rome, Zulus, Mongolia (all 3/4 UC)
I really like the war game. Each of these civs emphasizes a slightly different aspect of warring and unit line.

Honorable mention goes to the Shoshone, for when I want to play widely but peacefully and snowballing earlier.

Canada - if you guys haven’t tried Canada yet, do it. They are a wonderfully weird civ to play. The raw GGeneral generation and gold potential of the civ forces a very wide playstyle, but without any decent warmonger bonuses, and it puts a unique pressure on a civ that otherwise want to go peaceful diplomacy.

I've seen quite a few custom civs. Which Canada mod do you play?

My top 3:
Indonesia - I like the unique resources and Kris Swordsman.
Denmark - Awesome coastal raiding civ that can wreak havoc in war.
Iroquois - So much fun to play if you get a forested region. Nothing can withstand their warriors once they step into the woods.

I always play random so... no special preferences?

Nearly all civs have great themes too, so I can't pick based on music either.

Unique component-wise I like those with UIs, even Polders.

1. Shoshone
Absolutely love their UA. Extra land with every city you found! Yes please. And exploration is my favourite, the boosts I can get from early ruins (even on relaively high difficulty) are delicious. UI is very nice too! UU comes a bit late for my taste, but I still enjoy it when it comes around.

2. Iroquois
Bonuses for not chopping jungle/forest? Sign me up! UB is very nice, particularly early-game. UA makes wars in jungle/forest almost a bit too easy? I haven't actually got much use out of the natural-wonder related bonus, but I like the flavour. UU is fun, especially not needing any strategic to build them. Mohawks everywhere!

3. Byzantium
I often put a lot of effort into founding/enhancing early so I can get the stuff I want. Byantium takes a lot of the stress/pressure out of religion while also giving you a great source of faith! (Even if you have to wait a little while for it.) Cataphracts are also one of my favourite UUs.

Honourable mentions go to (4) Indonesia: all-time favourite UU (magic swords with mysterious enchantments!), unique luxuries and lots of gold (I love trade). (5) Polynesia: great for exploration, can steal all the ruins on islands before others can get there, fun UU and UI. (6) Celts for the absurd yields you can get from a jungle start with Cernunnos, the Horned Stag, and having zero care about religious pressure on your cities. Take that Gandhi!

Last edited:
I'm having a good run with the Maya right now I'll say that! Lol. Easy Great People. And you can choose the one you want when you feel it's right. Sometimes a great Admiral early for an extra luxury or especially a great prophet early can be Beyond helpful. However I learned you can't pick the prophet first to found a religion , guess that was too good to be true LOL. But you can pick the prophet to reform your religion which still might be very helpful. Honestly any can be helpful and I'm forgetting which one I chose first off hand... but the main point is that you get them EARLY and I definitely beeline to mathematics. In the beginning 394 years goes by quickly.

But I think the Aztec pwnage. Ok sure, the game can be played in many ways. But a lot of things in this game grow exponentially the longer they are in place. The Aztecs are solely focused on pounding the ancient times. Jaguar seem like they suck against guns but if you spam them in the beginning they kill everything. Attack and bully your city states. Even war for some XP. Then start going after your closest neighbor civ. Get positive peace treaties for Golden Ages and dominate the ancient world. Then some of the civs you haven't met yet won't actually think you're such a bad guy after you've taken over a vast Empire lol. Then...grow exponentially. Oh and Authority btw. Duh.

Next might be Ethopia. Easy Religion founder with unique Monument. Pretty much end of story there fill in your blanks. Its been awhile.

Beyond that it's hard to pick favorites. My goal is to basically have good games and win with all them!

Last edited:
Picking only 3 is really hard.

I'll just say the most i had fun with and I won by far (3/4 UC mod by PAD). (Emperor level, epic, standard map, no events, raging barbs because settings count):

_ Spain. This one is a juggernaut. Once you get your faith engine going there's nothing can stop you from total domination. Authority/Fealty/Imperialism.

_ Huns. They are good in AI hands. For the human player they are unstoppable. Authority/Artistry/Imperialism. Games are decided before medieval era. Domination.

_ Assyria. Progress/whatever you want/Rationalism or Industry. Science Victory. They can even play for domination or diplo but they shine in defensive wars. Very flexible civ. You can't go wrong with Ashurbanipal.

Hmm. Do you know why? Is it because you need a pantheon first, or is it actually a 'this prophet cannot found' kind of thing?

The rule is that you can't select a prophet as your free GP until you've founded a religion. So the goal becomes to found prior to one of the calendar cycle years so that you can enhance ASAP. The early free great person turns on standard speed are turns 62, 72, 86, and 101. So ideally you hit mathematics by turn 60 if at all possible (can be difficult to do, and note that learning mathematics on t61 won't give you the free GP on t62 for some reason, you have to learn it on t60) and then you found your religion before t86 if possible (also difficult sometimes).

Usually you want to use the t62 and t72 great people for an engineer for a free wonder and a scientist because an academy is probably the most impactful early improvement.

I happen to be playing the Maya right now so it's all fresh in my mind.

I happen to be playing the Maya right now so it's all fresh in my mind.

Well then I'm sure you can tell us the exact Mayan Long Count date your on... Without looking! :lol: ..The funny thing is for 0.68 seconds I thought I was glitching out or something until I realized it was showing the Mayan calendar instead of the normal date everyone else sees LOL. I would tell you my date I don't have to strength to type all that and I should have been asleep hours ago. I'll just have to settle that is 1938 lol and thanks to the Great Leap Forward my infantry and tanks are storming Sweden as we speak. I just love the diversity that this mod has brought to the game. My Myan Communist Theocracy with privatized schools has been a particularly interesting game

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the people who mentioned Wide Morocco. Could y'all explain why? I tend to play it tall to maximize its UA effectiveness as that kind of play is what the UA would suggest to me. But anyways...

1. Carthage - I like a Civ where I can build what I want early, which this allows me to do. I can adapt strategies as needed and go down any policy line, and Sea God is just a fun Pantheon to exploit.

2. Japan - I try to run the minimum cities possible while still making it work. I love huge invincible experienced warriors.

3. I don't really have a third, but based on my previous game on Terra, I suppose it would be Inca. I started the game in the mountain ranges of China, where each of my starting cities had 9-14 Mountain tiles nearby to work with God of Nature, plus a Natural Wonder to boot. With only one or two accessible tiles for an opponent due to the mountain range, settling on a mountain made the game end before it started.

I'm intrigued by the people who mentioned Wide Morocco. Could y'all explain why? I tend to play it tall to maximize its UA effectiveness as that kind of play is what the UA would suggest to me. But anyways...

Kasbahs. One hurdle to wide play is making those extra cities worth settling yield-wise. Kasbahs make basically any location a decent one where the city will end up a net positive so more cities tends to be better. Their UA doesn't scale with wide BUT it does push them toward diplomacy since you want to send routes to CSs while having AI send routes to you. Wide is typically stronger for diplomacy in terms of just hammers for diplo units.

Wide diplo increases your paper turnover, because you can build/buy envoys in the closest city to the target CS. Less travel time=more, safer missions

Spain
China
Carthage
-I like progress city-building civs with good warmongering potentials.

Kasbahs. One hurdle to wide play is making those extra cities worth settling yield-wise. Kasbahs make basically any location a decent one where the city will end up a net positive so more cities tends to be better.
Fun fact to Morocco:
Settle a city only 3 tiles away from a CS and place a citadel to steal its 1st ring tiles and you can build Kasbahs on the tiles bordering the CS but in your territory.
Kasbahs have to be build adjactend to a city, but it doesnt have to be yours. :D

Fun fact to Morocco:
Settle a city only 3 tiles away from a CS and place a citadel to steal its 1st ring tiles and you can build Kasbahs on the tiles bordering the CS but in your territory.
Kasbahs have to be build adjactend to a city, but it doesnt have to be yours. :D

LOL interesting.

Top Bottom