1066: Year of Viking Dynasty
Samurai Invasion of Korea
Wonders of the Ancient World
Into the Renaissance
Fall of Rome
Empires of the Smoky Skies
American Civil War
Scramble for Africa

I think the thing with scenarios is that there isn't just "one" good civ as scenarios tend to work "differently"

For example, in 1066: Year of Viking Dynasty England doesn't work the same as the other civ as it is locked into war with everybody else, but they are also the first target.

In Empires of the Smoky Skies it's more like traditional game with just different winning conditions.

American Civil War has like two civs.

Conquest for the New World: Intended as any European civ, but actually on low difficulty levels easiest as any native american civ. Finding and founding (or conquering) cities next to the two natural wonders producing treasure is the key to this one.

Paradise Found: Despite differences in the UAs; they are play rather similar.

1066: This is one of those where every civ is at war with all civs. However, the AIs actually prefer to focus their troops against the human no matter who you are playing and are relatively inactive if the human isn't near them.
Fastest victory possible if playing the home team (if you can hold off all 3 of them as in this case you are the closest neighbor to all of them)

Korea: Extremely easy as Korea thanks to locked alliance with China who actually may help you. As long as you don't resign from the game it's very difficult to lose even on Deity.

Wonders of Ancient World, Into the Rean.: Don't know; never played; too big a map

Fall of Rome: Every civ locked in war against each other. This also suffers from the other barbs rather fight the human than Rome. Easyist to win as is the civ that starts in NW Africa.

Empire of Smoky Skies: Never played.

Civil War: The quickest victory time I've seen is from the South. If like real life, the North has more potential but takes longer to develop.

Africa: The European civs appear easiest.

@KingOfBigOz is right that, for most of the scenarios, there isn't a single "best" Civ - rather, each Civ has certain advantages and disadvantages in the scope of the scenario. However, here are my thoughts:

Conquest of the New World - Really any Civ; Spain's probably the easiest (as they get a starting caravel out in the middle of the Atlantic), but they're all pretty fun and none are too tricky.

Paradise Found - Again, really any of the Civs can be the "best". The scenario's just not all that much fun after the first time you've played it, though.

1066: Year of Viking Dynasty - Norway's probably the easiest, in all honesty, while Anglo-Saxon England's the hardest (but can be the most fun, too.)

Samurai Invasion of Korea - All fun. Japan's the easiest, Korea's probably the hardest.

Wonders of the Ancient World - Since you can play on a randomized map, it's hard to point to a Civ and say "this is the best" based on where they start. As for their UAs, it completely depends on how you want to play the scenario.

Into the Renaissance - Russia's probably the hardest because they get the fun of a Mongol invasion part of the way through the game. Any of the other Civs are the most fun.

Fall of Rome - Either part of the Roman Empire is the hardest (though the Western Empire is more difficult), while any of the Barbarians are the easiest.

Empires of the Smoky Skies - Like with the WotAW Scenario, the "best" Civ depends entirely on how you want to play.

Scramble for Africa - England's the easiest, The Zulu are the hardest, all Civs are fun.

American Civil War - There are two Civs. They're both easy. The scenario in general is dull.

1066: one can only be the vikings and not the other civilizations. Embarking the oceans to conquer cities near the London and building the doomsday buildings is the only way on this scenario.
All other scenarios I haven't tried.

1066: one can only be the vikings and not the other civilizations. Embarking the oceans to conquer cities near the London and building the doomsday buildings is the only way on this scenario.
All other scenarios I haven't tried.

Unless you a refering that the only way to win/beat the scenario is as the vikins, then sure.. but you can play as any of the four (or is it five?) civs.

I was trying to choose other civilizations but there was only one option in the menu for some reason.

1066: I find England is easiest. You get loads of money so can buy units quicker than build them which takes too long to be useful so you can start building the courts sooner. Denmark can easily reach London but have to fight both the Normans and Norway.

Samurai Invasion: Korea hands down. I played on diety, immediately disbanded all units and never attacked with my cities. I left workers to be captured everywhere. Because you are never beaten, I kept denounced Manchu and Japan whenever I couldn't declare war which I did and disbanded all guerilla forces. I still won because China are so strong.

Wonders: Greece are too far away from city-states. Egypt has no production tiles to start with and Sumeria isn't hill-heavy either. Out of the remaining 2, Persia are surrounded by mountains while with the Hittites I won building all bar one wonder. Case closed.

Top Bottom