What constitutes a stereotype?

Dude...America's building in civ4 was a shopping mall

LOL, I forgot about that. Canadians have no right to complain.

And to be honest, outside your country, are you culturally even known for much else? While railroad was big there, so was it here, and Russia, and U.K. I figure they had to pick some culture thing, and that's easily the biggest cultural influence. And no, NASCAR and wrestling are not popular in the U.S., maybe by a some working class folks. You won't find me watching them. That's mostly a Southern thing.

You could give a railroad ability to pretty much any civilization that currently exists, especially any Westen civilization.

You could give a railroad ability to pretty much any civilization that currently exists, especially any Westen civilization.

Yes, but most of the other good fit civs for a railroad bonus were in the game prior to GS.

And in no country was the railroad more important in the history of that country than Canada.

For those reasons, there was some reason to expect that with railroads and Canada both being introduced in GS, there might be some link between the two.

Perhaps the dev team has given a railroad bonus to another civ being added in GS. Or perhaps no civ will have a bonus to the creation or use of railroads for now.

Yes, but most of the other good fit civs for a railroad bonus were in the game prior to GS.

And in no country was the railroad more important in the history of that country than Canada.

For those reasons, there was some reason to expect that with railroads and Canada both being introduced in GS, there might be some link between the two.

Perhaps the dev team has given a railroad bonus to another civ being added in GS. Or perhaps no civ will have a bonus to the creation or use of railroads for now.
If anything, England should have an ability related to railroads, which it does sort of. Reworked England gets is able to accumulate more iron and coal per turn and more engineer charges, which means being able to building more railroads late game, though it's not stated outright.

Well, that is not that wild of an idea. The US is all about consumerism. Buy all you can, use credit, it drives the economy.

Then you realize it only lasted a couple of decades. Next time introduce something with more staying power. Shopping Malls are out, Amazon is in. :) I'm not sure how you would represent Amazon graphically in game. :D Unless we bring back Al Gore.

LOL, I forgot about that. Canadians have no right to complain.

And to be honest, outside your country, are you culturally even known for much else? While railroad was big there, so was it here, and Russia, and U.K. I figure they had to pick some culture thing, and that's easily the biggest cultural influence. And no, NASCAR and wrestling are not popular in the U.S., maybe by a some working class folks. You won't find me watching them. That's mostly a Southern thing.
You seem to have missed the point, which was not to extoll the popularity of NASCAR or pro wrestling. Rather, hockey is not setting the world on fire any more than NASCAR or professional wrestling. None are really great examples of ways for their originating civ to conquer the world culturally.

But of the three, the current popularity of professional wrestling worldwide eclipses hockey handily.

Last edited:
Then you realize it only lasted a couple of decades. Next time introduce something with more staying power. Shopping Malls are out, Amazon is in. :) I'm not sure how you would represent Amazon graphically in game. :D Unless we bring back Al Gore.

You could have a future era Amazon drone unit that steals gold from other civs' cities but gets stuck on forest tiles

Basically, every civilization is a choice of a few stereotypes, but you're much more likely to realize the true depth and greatness that was criminally left out if it is your OWN civilization. Every modern civilization with a large English-speaking forum presence gets a lot of complaints. Just be glad there wasn't a female leader, or we'd really be in for it.

It is a wasted opportunity.

Mounties should have been unable to enter enemy territory, but generate loyalty in garrisoned cities.

The Last Best West ability should have also included the ability to purchase naturalists through gold or be recruited through production (as well as having a fixed faith cost, while all other civs' naturalists would have increasingly expensive naturalists) to make up for the Mountie's ability being changed.

Canada has numerous folk songs in the public domain to choose from, yet O Canada, a current official national anthem, is chosen as the second half of Canada's theme. Note that Scotland the Brave is not the official anthem of Scotland and Waltzing Matilda is also not the official national anthem of Australia.

Even giving Scotland curling rinks to replace golf courses in snow and tundra terrain (purely for cosmetic reasons) would be an improvement (pun intended).

Of course, that is consumerism at its finest, planned obsolescence. Nothing is forever in the US, everything must be replaced every so often to keep businesses making money. First we had indoor malls, now, for the most part, they are strip malls. Not much overhead and don't have to pay horrendous rental fees. Perhaps gun manufacturing should replace industrial areas, they seem to be the most persistent thing we have here. :o

More important than the railroad was to the United States? Or England? Or Russia?

So, as I said, all of those countries are already in civ pre GS, so they weren't getting a railway bonus, although there'd be nothing wrong if they did.

And no, in none of those was the railway more important in the history of the country than it was to Canada. The railway opening the west was as equally important to Canada as it was to the U.S., with the difference being that without the railway, there might not have been a Canada, and certainly not one stretching from coast to coast to coast. The building of a cross continent railroad was an explicit condition before they would join Canada for our Pacific coast province, B.C., as well as for one of our eastern provinces, P.E.I., and it's highly unlikely that N.S. or N.B. would have joined without the understanding that the east-west infrastructure would be laid to offset the more natural north-south trade by river or sea with the U.S. that dominated their economies. Without the potential for the transcontinental railway, there was a high probability that one or more of Canada's regions would have eventually joined the U.S. rather than Upper and Lower Canada (now Ontario and Quebec). The railway opened Siberia for Russia, and was as important to that country as it was for Canada and the U.S. for that reason, but not more important to my knowledge. For the U.K., the railway was mostly critical as one aspect of the industrial revolution, which was pretty important, and arguably as important in it's own way. But, again, not more important to my mind. Canada as a political entity wasn't possible prior to railway technology becoming available, and was founded with the explicit intent to link each separate province by railway.

Top Bottom