What do I do with this?

vivalamexico

Prince
Looking at this start, I thought this might turn out to be a nice game.
Then, on turn 3, this happened....

2014-03-10_00001.jpg

What do I do? Reroll?
I have only mountains on the other side, and I don't want to do OCC
Any help appreciated

Go conquer Sao Paulo. Rush Construction, get your Composite Bows, try and get friendly with a military city state. Then go take the city for your own. It will slow you down initially, but it could be something.

You have good production and plenty of forests to chop. You can easily clear through Brazil with a CB rush. The question will be whether you can steal a worker and keep enough trading partners through the Dow. Upload a save and we can compare attempts.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

It's a lake. Not that I knew that at the time
No, the site to settle is not several tiles east on the fresh water east, but immediately SE of where you did, which has a river and a mountain on the far side of it.
What I'd do is go load the initial autosave file.

you dont need comp bows for that brazilian capital.. just stop what you're doing.. stop exploring. lest you meet anybody and risk getting a warmonger tag for genocide... just research archery and crank out 5 archers then storm that city and take it for yourself..

you dont need comp bows for that brazilian capital.. just stop what you're doing.. stop exploring. lest you meet anybody and risk getting a warmonger tag for genocide... just research archery and crank out 5 archers then storm that city and take it for yourself..

This.

Also, I would have setlle on the stone in order to get obs in this city.
Btw looks like a great site for the mausoleum!

This isn't the Brazilian capital, it's their city #2. Evidently since it was settled Turn 3, it's Deity level, where the AI starts with an extra Settler.

On Deity level, you will not be able to do anything with Archers. Archers are killed in 2-combats, and with the production bonuses the AI gets you'll be taking plenty of hits. What you will need to do is research Mining, steal Worker, and resell luxuries as normal, all while teching to Construction for Composite Bows. You want an early enough DoW to make the AI go haywire, but you also want to be able to win the war you start.

It's a shame you're not on that amazing river hill mountain tile 2 away from your current position. If you wanted to do anything, I'd restart, settle there, and kill Brazil with composite bows (that guy's a jerk anyways).

Hi there. Do you have the initial save game, would like to try and play this one out :)

Would be interesting to check out the initial save. Yes I'd probably have settled on one of the hill tiles next to a mountain. Still, it's not totally obvious, and you had more limited map information when you chose where to settle than we have looking at this screenshot.

As for Brazil's city... it's annoying but I wouldn't call it a game breaker. Vienna's location is really good, which helps a lot to compensate. Even if there's nowhere else to settle you have the option of a comp bow rush. You could even attack with archers only (4+ at least), considering Sao Paolo's vulnerable position in flat, open land. If the city is too tough you can stay back, sniping workers and units and eventually tire Pedro into submission - possibly getting him to gift you the city for a peace deal.

Alternatively, if you can settle elsewhere then peace can be an okay option - the nice thing is that you can build caravans early and be guaranteed a reliable trade route yielding lots of early science. I'd consider that option.

Definitely nothing hopeless about this -- a little annoying but at the same time quite interesting.

Sorry to all who wanted the save, but I rage-quit when Shaka and Askia (met on turn 6 & 8 respectively) double DOWed me on turn 44 and rushed my cap. They would have taken iit out 5 turns later

Top Bottom