1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What does OT think of CIV VI?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GoodEnoughForMe, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Hakim

Hakim Parasocial

Civ IV seem interesting enough to get. I'll probably wait a while though. If the pattern from III, IV and V still holds, VI will be so-so at release and be best when a few expansions have been released.

And Stockholm is a city state. Norway can demand tribute from them and a few turns later make them happy by connecting banana.

dusters likes this.
  2. Arwon

Arwon

I really like it and when you consider how much better 4 and 5 got from the state they were in at release.. it bodes very well.

3. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

I'm enjoying it so far. It's a lot better than V and probably IV were at release even if it doesn't yet match up to the fully upgraded state of the latter.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Really? I've been sort of avoiding pre/post-release media so that I finally buy the game it's mostly new to me.

5. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Yeah there are Winged Hussars in the intro video, so Poland is definitely coming.

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

7. civvver

civvver Deity

I'm not completely sold on it but it looks leaps and bounds better than 5. I have huge concerns about performance though since 5 turn times were so atrocious, even on brand new pcs. And my pc is hardly brand new anymore, it's 6 years old. GPU and ram have been upgraded but I still don't have an ssd and I have original cpu.

I won't buy out of principle until it heavily discounts, probably around $15 (75% off release price) for base game. Which probably won't be until next christmas at earliest. Why? It's not principle of not paying that much for a game, but rather cus I just don't play enough games or variety of games any more. I played dota2 when I do play or other old stuff like civ4, dragon age origins, master of orion. I have TONS of games I get from humble bundles and such that I never touch. So why drop another $60? I'm hurting for time, not for time wasters if you know what I mean.

However I did put it on my christmas list cus it's an easy gift for people to buy me and I can't think of any gift ideas. I could use some new clothes for work but always have to try those on first. Everything else I would want it waaaay too expensive or consumable like restaurant gift cards and beer. So maybe I'll be playing civ6 December 26th who knows? But I am certainly not in a rush to get it.

8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

You can see the winged hussar at around 1.10:

I think (not sure) that some DLC is time-triggered, ie it will take some days to activate or something like that.

9. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Broken diplomacy, stupid AI and obtuse user interface. 8/10.
    Easily 10/10 and the best part of the series once those issues are fixed and balance is improved. It takes almost everything that was good in Civ V and adds a few of Civ IV's strength like meaningful specialization of cities and units, expansion and a flexible government system.

10. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

I quite like it! I like the concept of formations and I especially like the small addition of a day/night cycle to play it. I do agree that diplomacy seems quite broken since other Civ's would surprise attack me on the easy levels then everyone would get upset at me when I defended myself.

11. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

I think it's great; it's the best game at launch I've played (narrowly outclassing Civ4) and I'm really looking forward to seeing what it turns into. It's even got me back to the forums, though the strategy and tips sections is a little lacking at the moment.

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Ι recall that vanilla Civ4 created nothing short of an outrage in these forums.

13. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Every Civ game does. The people that like the game play it and the people who don't like it post on the forums instead.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

So far, VI plays better on my older machine than V did.

15. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

I think game is unfinished and rushed a bit. All software are buggy on initial release but Civ VI has more bugs and balance problems than usual.

16. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Not compared to Civ 4 and most definitely not compared to Civ 5.

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The last game I pre-ordered was Beyond Earth. I was very disappointed with it, but I learned my lesson - I'm never pre-ordering another Civ game again. I mean, the last couple Civ releases have felt rushed, unpolished, etc. and it took them several months if not longer than a year to work out the kinks and include content and gameplay mechanics that made the game feel complete. That seems to be their business model - release a game that isn't finished and use the feedback and test data from all those people playing it when it comes out to improve the final product. By the time the 2nd DLC comes out, the game is usually finally complete and ready to play.

Alright well fine, if that's the business model, I'll buy the game when it is finished. And cheaper. The only benefit I can see to buying it when it comes out is being able to say: "I have it"

18. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

Wish i had that much willpower. :)

19. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

I caved and bought it, encouraged by the fan reviews. I agree with the general consensus - it's real good, and has enormous potential. The flaws are not fundamental and can be fixed. It's really up to you to decide if it's worth $60 ($80 in Canada!!) for any game, but for me, a new, good game of Civ will quickly separate me from my money... being a Civfanatic and all.

I hated civV at launch and didn't play it much it's first year.

20. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Honestly, at this point, I haven't played the game (I didn't like Civ V but enjoyed IV). But I am so enraptured by the music and how it evolves over the different periods and over the different civilisations. It makes me want to buy the game and play it myself! So far I am just listening to the soundtrack as I study or work.