What happened to the Rise of Mankind Civ V project?

Chieftain
The Rise of Mankind mod on Civ IV revamped and expanded the game making it 10 times better than the original. There was talk of the same guys taking on the project with civ V, does anyone know if this is still going to happen? Have pretty much modders given up on V?

Failing that the developers need to release a proper expansion pack with way more content.

The Rise of Mankind mod on Civ IV revamped and expanded the game making it 10 times better than the original. There was talk of the same guys taking on the project with civ V, does anyone know if this is still going to happen? Have pretty much modders given up on V?

Failing that the developers need to release a proper expansion pack with way more content.

When Firaxis finally releases the source code, I think you'll see a lot more modding activity. I estimate that this will be released in the second half of 2012. Until then, there really isn't much that people can do.

I highly doubt that there will be a proper expansion pack. Likely it'll be more DLC that add a little bit here and there but nothing substantial.

Anyway, I'd love to see Rise of Mankind for Civilization 5 if it did a complete overhaul of the game. Here's hoping. :religion:

When Firaxis finally releases the source code, I think you'll see a lot more modding activity. I estimate that this will be released in the second half of 2012. Until then, there really isn't much that people can do.

I highly doubt that there will be a proper expansion pack. Likely it'll be more DLC that add a little bit here and there but nothing substantial.

Anyway, I'd love to see Rise of Mankind for Civilization 5 if it did a complete overhaul of the game. Here's hoping. :religion:

Yeah, there won't be an expansion.
DLC makes more money, and of course that is what matters in the long run.

You mean like adding a ton more resources, buildings, techs, wonders and everything else like it did in Civ4? Imo, having fewer yet more valuable elements in Civ5 was a masterstroke. Vanilla Civ4 already had way too much of everything and something like RoM added even more on top of that. Sheesh.

You mean like adding a ton more resources, buildings, techs, wonders and everything else like it did in Civ4? Imo, having fewer yet more valuable elements in Civ5 was a masterstroke. Vanilla Civ4 already had way too much of everything and something like RoM added even more on top of that. Sheesh.

I tend to agree. After the two CiIV expansions, the game got extremely complex. I was stuck on Monarch with adventures into Emperor, but I never got farther than that. There will be a CiV expansion IMHO. That's why we haven't seen any new DLC lately. I think it is just taking longer than they planned because of the massive changes made to fundamental game mechanics in the months following the release. They want to get the expansion completed and released. It may even include some new civs. Who knows?

I tend to agree. After the two CiIV expansions, the game got extremely complex. I was stuck on Monarch with adventures into Emperor, but I never got farther than that. There will be a CiV expansion IMHO. That's why we haven't seen any new DLC lately. I think it is just taking longer than they planned because of the massive changes made to fundamental game mechanics in the months following the release. They want to get the expansion completed and released. It may even include some new civs. Who knows?

Better that way than the Civilization 5 way where you can achieve victory on the highest difficulty level almost right off the bat.

Better that way than the Civilization 5 way where you can achieve victory on the highest difficulty level almost right off the bat.

I firmly believe the game will become more complex when, not if, they release the expansion Spring 2012. I think the game is right where it needs to be for my skill level. I worked my way up to emperor quickly, since I had experience at CiIV. However, I find Immortal is a different game, and I haven't tried Diety yet.

I am hoping the game is a departure from Civ IV but ultimately just as moddable. I just purchased the game tonight, but am a long time Civ player.

You've come at the right time. It is a departure from CiIV, and it is good and addicting. Several good patches have significantly improved gameplay from that of the iniitial release game, and I strongly believe they are working on an expansion.

Has there been any official news of continued support for Civilization V, most specifically a larger expansion than DLCs?

Some weeks ago (before the MP-patch) there were two announcements: of something big coming in some months from now on and a second one on the dll to be finally released at a certain point of time.

Several questions if both would be identical were left unanswered.

On the topic of what has happened to the ROM-project for Civ5:
Prior to release, there were many plans and hopes by several modders contributing to ROM/AND.
The excitement quickly vanished when the game was released and the respective thread died within just some weeks.

Top Bottom