What happens when a new city is founded after the ancient era?

David1107

Chieftain
Hi:
If Trajan settles a new city in ancient era, he gets a freemonument.
But does his cities settled in the ancient era gets the wall when the era moves to the next one?

For the other civs, do they still need to build monuments if they settle new cities after the era moves from the ancient one?
As in, does everyone gets free monuments if they settle in new cities after the ancient era is passed?

Thanks

You'll still need to build those buildings in newly settled cities. So Trajan's ability applies regardless of era.

The reason why the ability reads "A monument if the game starts in the ancient era" is because you have the option to start the game in a different era when you're setting up a new game, in which case I believe your cities will already start with some buildings and higher pop (not sure, I always start my games in the Ancient Era).

Edit: You can read this page to check what happens if you start a game in an Era other than the Ancient Era. I'm not sure but I believe the bonuses only apply to cities founded with "starting settlers".

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Era_(Civ6)#Starting_units_and_statistics

Last edited:
Ah ok, so for exampe Gorgo would still have to build monuments in every new city regardless of eras.

If Trajan settles a new city in ancient era, he gets a freemonument.
But does his cities settled in the ancient era gets the wall when the era moves to the next one?

I want to add to AntSous answer a bit. The "A monument if the game starts in the ancient era" is for your standard game starting in ancient era. If you start in later eras, everybody will get some more buildings in their cities (and districts!) for free when founding a new city, and Trajan gets the additional ones. This is starting with a medieval start with free monument for everyone, and additional buildings if starting in following eras. In medieval era then, Trajan starts with free granary in each city, for example (it is set to be the next cheapest building). Walls are built for free from Renaissance era starts on.

As for other leaders, like Gorgo, yes they need to build the buildings they dont get for free from the starting era bonus.

Note that none of this depends on what era the game is in, but only from the era the game was started in. Which is quite atypical way to play the game.

Top Bottom