What headwear does each leader wear?

fy00sh

Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder
Now that we've gotten what is probably the last civ & leader of Civ 6 (hoping there's more later but not counting on it), I'm thinking I might want to see if I could set up a leader hats elimination thread when there's a gap in elimination threads, since I'm pretty sure I've seen some people bring up the idea of holding one. But I realized that I don't actually know what to call most of the leaders' headwear, and there's also some edge cases I'm not sure about whether they count as headwear at all. So I figured for now I could set up this thread where we discuss what to call each piece of headwear, and what counts.

Questions about what counts as headwear:
Glasses? (Wilfred Laurier, Gandhi, etc)
Hair accessories/ties? (Kupe, Dido, Poundmaker)
Masks? (Pericles, Magnificence Catherine)

And here's a list (which I'll update) keeping track of what to call each piece of hearwear. Names I'm unsure of, or think there might be a better or more specific name for, are in green. Items I think might not count are in orange.
Spoiler warning: big list :
Alexander - helmet
Amanitore - crown
Ambiorix - N/A
Bà Triệu - khăn vấn
Basil II - crown
Catherine (Black Queen) - french hood
Catherine (Magnificence) - metal net thingy, mask
Chandragupta - uṣṇīṣaḥ (उष्णीषः)
Cleopatra - helmet-thingy
Cyrus - diadem
Dido - hairband
Eleanor (England) - rose(?) wreath
Eleanor (France) - crown
Frederick Barbarossa - crown
Gandhi - glasses
Genghis Khan - helmet
Gilgamesh - crown/helmet
Gitarja - crown, white frangipani
Gorgo - N/A
Hammurabi - crown
Harald Hardrada - spangenhelm, those little hair hold-y thingies in his beard
Hojo Tokimune - eboshi
Jadwiga - crown
Jayavarman VII - N/A
João III - tudor bonnet
John Curtin - beach hat/fedora, glasses
Kristina - N/A
Kublai Khan - N/A
Kupe - hair tie
Lady Six Sky - crown/headdress
Lautaro - headband
Mansa Musa - kufi
Matthias Corvinus - corona triumphalis
Menelik II - hat, white cloth underneath hat
Montezuma - crown/headdress/helmet
Mvemba a Nzinga - hat
Pachacuti - crown
Pedro II - N/A
Pericles - Corinthian helmet
Peter - N/A
Philip II - N/A
Poundmaker - hair hold-y thingy
Qin Shi Huang - mianguan crown
Robert the Bruce - crown
Saladin - turban
Seondeok - Crown of Silla
Shaka - hat
Simón Bolívar - N/A
Suleiman - kavuk
Tamar - crown, hair hold-y thingies
Bull Moose Teddy - glasses
Rough Rider Teddy - cowboy hat, glasses
Tomyris - helmet
Trajan - corona triumphalis
Victoria - George IV State Diadem
Wilfrid Laurier - pince-nez
Wilhelmina - hat

Last edited:
Harald Hardrada's Helmet is what is called a spangenhelm, I think.

Laurier's spectacles are called "pince-nez". Seondeok's headgear is the Crown of Silla. John Curtin is wearing a beach hat or fedora.

Pericles is wearing a Corinthian Helmet, Trajan and Matthias wear a gilded victory wreath in the shape of laurel leaves (a corona triumphalis)

Mansa Musa's hat is not a fez. It has a specific name but I do not know what it is in the Malinese language. I also believe Frederick and Victoria's crowns have specific names, just like Seondeok's.

Laurier's spectacles are called "pince-nez". Seondeok's headgear is the Crown of Silla. John Curtin is wearing a beach hat or fedora.

Pericles is wearing a Corinthian Helmet, Trajan and Matthias wear a gilded victory wreath in the shape of laurel leaves (a corona triumphalis)

Mansa Musa's hat is not a fez. It has a specific name but I do not know what it is in the Malinese language. I also believe Frederick and Victoria's crowns have specific names, just like Seondeok's.
Musa is wearing a kufi, a traditional West African hat.
Also, Suleiman is not wearing a turban, but a kavuk.

Gitarja - crown, flower (what kind?)
The flower that Gitarja is wearing seems to be the Plumeria, or frangipani (champa/chafa in various Indian languages) which is very widely found in South and Southeast Asia. It is considered sacred in Hindu-Buddhist-Jain traditions and is very culturally significant in these regions. You can find women adorning their heads with such flowers in South and Southeast Asia even today.

Chandragupta Maurya's turban seems to be what has been known as uṣṇīṣin (uṣṇīṣin, as pointed by @AriaLyric below refers to the wearer of the turban, the right word for the turban would be uṣṇīṣaḥ) and you can find depictions of such headwear on sculptures from later Mauryan era.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the corrections! I've updated the list with what we have so far
Chandragupta Maurya's turban seems to be what has been known as uṣṇīṣin and you can find depictions of such headwear on sculptures from later Mauryan era.
I looked it up, and from what I can see, uṣṇīṣin is used either as an adjective meaning "wearing a turban/diadem" or a noun meaning "turban-/diadem-wearer" or a type of temple. I could see it also being applied to the name of what he's wearing too tho, but I'm not sure. Is there a source you used that i cant find?

I looked it up, and from what I can see, uṣṇīṣin is used either as an adjective meaning "wearing a turban/diadem" or a noun meaning "turban-/diadem-wearer"
You're correct. The word uṣṇīṣin is indeed used as an epithet to refer to the wearer of the turban than the turban itself. Thank you for pointing it out. The word for the turban is rather uṣṇīṣaḥ or uṣṇīṣaṁ.
For reference: https://www.sanskritdictionary.com/uṣṇīṣaḥ/10183/4
Spoiler Entry for uṣṇīṣaḥ from the Apte Sanskrit Dictionary :

upload_2021-3-27_16-8-55.png

Top Bottom