What is a serial?

Simo

Warlord
After being unable to play Civ3 PTW on my laptop connected to my deskptop in a LAN game i decided to try C&C generals.

All seemed okay, i could see both computers on the multiplayer screen until i went to join the game with my laptop which id created with my desktop.

The message said 'serial is already in use'

So my question is what is a 'serial' and is it impossible to play multiplayer games between a laptop and desktop because of this??

They are connected via a router.

win xp pro on laptop,
win xp home on desktop

Did you install the same version on both computers?

If you did and they have the same ID number, then it won't let you play because they are the same copy, and the game thinks you pirated it. Which you did if you use two copies at once.

If they are different copies and different keys...then I don't know.

as corn's said the serial's the number you entered when you installed, usually the number's on your CD-case (that is if you haven't pirated the game ;) ) if both versions are installed with the same serial, they won't work in multiplayer-games, for that you'd have to buy a second version of the game

Is it illegal to copy a cd for personal use? I mean, when you buy software, is it always for only one computer at a time, or am I allowed to install it on many computers as long as they are all mine?

Yeah, but you can only use one copy at a time, so Multiplayer requires two different copies if you want to stick to the law.

Format the system drive and install Windows 98. It always works.

Yeah i was using the same copy twice. It is a legal copy, but apparently you need 2 discs to play multiplayer.

Man im having no luck with multiplayer games!

Top Bottom