what is efficient way to take 94 defence city?

elister

Chieftain
I was trying with four units of artillery and one ironclad for 3 turns but couldn't manage it :mad: as AI kept pounding my artillery with Fighters, missiles and it's own rocket artillery (it has one garrisoned in GIZA) :sad:

I'm playing on Warlord only and has just signed peace treaty as it was getting hopeless.
Also please take a note of mountains. What should I do to take such high defense cities without loosing too many units? And how did it managed to get such high defense for this city :confused:

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0008.jpg
    Civ5Screen0008.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 2,585
You can use tanks to destroy their rocket artillery before attacking the city . Since you're playing with Germany,their Tank(Panzer) is a very efficient unit to destroy them .And for last,but not less important,I'd suggest that you bypass Giza and attack Pi-Ramesses first,to isolate Giza,because it's easier to conquest .

yeah you definitely gotta clear out those rocket artillery & infantry units as the first order of business. Isn't that a mech infantry in the bottom right? Why is that guy not on the front lines, killing them? If you have any more nearby they should moved to the front as well. Their siege units look really unprotected and mech infantry will carve them up. Any panzers you may have would come in really handy as well...

Bombers would come in handy but I don't think they are necessary. Actually if Egypt has a lot of fighters, it might not be the best idea. If the fighters are causing a real problem, a couple AA units will generally make the problem go away pretty quickly. 4 artillery 1 mech inf should be enough to take the city, if you clear out the other units first and allow the artillery to rain down on the city unchecked.

Also, you have a strong economy, so don't be afraid to buy some more units to help out. Annex that beachhead city if you haven't already done so, so you can buy units close to the front.

Lastly, and it probably goes without saying, but on the chance that you have rocketry, you should upgrade your artillery to rockets. You have the aluminum at least.

You need more units. Bring in some strong, non-ranged combat units such as tanks. That way the damage the enemy is doing to you is spread over a larger number of units. As soon as a unit gets weak, swap it out for another one and let it heal.

Non-ranged units can also attack the city. They will do a lot of damage and generally don't die. Since they will take a lot of damage, it is usually a good idea not to use them in the first few rounds of attacks though. Sometimes a suicide attack is worth it if it means taking the city one turn earlier.

Remember that a city with 96 strength still only has 20 hit points!

An enormous quantity of bombers seems to solve any problem in the Industrial era and later.

Use your airforce to destroy his artillery & kill infantry by your artillery. Then try attacking the city by artillery, bombers & maybe navy. Make sure that your artillery is protected very well. Once the city is reduced to 0 defence you can take it down by a tank.

destroy all their units to get it in a peace deal is probably most efficient way.
second choice is nuke it a couple times, though nuclear missiles will raze it in two shots.
third you can just dig in and bombard it. when you get logistics on your artillery it should fall quickly.

I fought a 102 shields mega city in a mp game. I needed 6 or 7 artillery units to finally capture it. From you position, you can't really sit much of them around. Logistic artys seems the ok choice(but you can take a lot of time to bring them to logistics if they are brand new and not have built many +XP buildings). Bring battleships if you can.

if you have jets use them to draw out their fighters then attack with bombers and use tanks/mechs to destroy their units

My question here is why are you bothering to take it? Defeat their rocket troops, and let the city be till you have time to come back to it.

get 6 tanks or mechs kill units 1 by 1 and then take it

definatly kill units before the city or u ll loose yourself too many.
Main thing in wars is to not loose units self - the arts are just screaming - AI PLS KILL ME

edit: Bombers if available sounds like an OK Idea too to do that aswell - still 1 tank kill a unit usually in 1 strike while u need 2-3 bombers

Allways take out the enemy units then suround the city by artillery and bombers and reduce its healt suround it by infantry and let it atack then take the citie not so hard...

Allways take out the enemy units then suround the city by artillery and bombers and reduce its healt suround it by infantry and let it atack then take the citie not so hard...

Exactly, only problem is a ranged defender in the city like a crossbowman or rocket artillery. I alway try to have an melee/gunpowder unit to absorb the damage, otherwise you need to move back your ranged units.

Nukes.

Also, to answer your question about the high defense, they likely have the Kremlin plus the policy in Freedom that increases city defense by 33% (the AI loves to take that policy). And they have built all of the defensive buildings as well (wall, castle, etc.).

There are a few ways to approach this.

It was suggested above to take out the other city before Giza. That would be best since you have only two tiles adjacent to Giza for a land assault. The tile on the East is vulnerable to attack by Pi-Ramses and artillery in the city.

1. You need to dispose of enemy units in the area before any assault on Pi-Ramses. Then, move up your artillery to a battle line in back of tanks that will cover the three direct assault tiles around Pi-Ramsses. Do not start your bombing until your units are in position. Unless you have 10 bombers, they are going to get chewed up, Pi-Ramsses will heal immediately and then you will start all over the next turn with yellow or red bombers. After bombers hit, then artillery and after that attack with the three tanks, making sure the city is weakened enought to be taken within the same turn. If not, do not attack with the tanks, repeat the bombing runs, artillery barrages and then go in with your tanks. It will work.

The last thing you want is to willy-nilly attack without a cohesive plan with enough force. If not, you will wind up losing all of your units and have a failed attack. Have you ever noticed that the AI will GENERALLY do the same against a high defense city and wind up losing a load of units and ultimately fail in the attack?

Exactly, only problem is a ranged defender in the city like a crossbowman or rocket artillery. I alway try to have an melee/gunpowder unit to absorb the damage, otherwise you need to move back your ranged units.

Well then just nuke them you aren't going to say you haven't uranium with so large empir? :goodjob:

Top Bottom