What is the best way to limit a mod from advancing Eras/Tech

volbound1700

Emperor
I am playing around in XMLs and trying to determine the perfect method for my Mod.

I am working on a Rise of Rome Mod and I don't want Civilizations advancing to the Medieval Era. What is the best method to go about handling this?

Remove all the techs after the era you don't want them to enter from the tech tree.
Also, you'll probably want to make a custom tech tree anyway because if you just lock people down to the early eras they will run out of techs within 200ish turns.

Remove all the techs after the era you don't want them to enter from the tech tree.
Also, you'll probably want to make a custom tech tree anyway because if you just lock people down to the early eras they will run out of techs within 200ish turns.

Thanks. I tried that and got swarmed with error messages when I loaded the scenario. Do I also have to remove units and improvements tied to the technology?

Regarding your old comment, I implemented the old Civ2 Tactic of making Future Tech a Classical Tech and accessible for research. Tech won't be a major factor of this Mod.

Thanks. I tried that and got swarmed with error messages when I loaded the scenario. Do I also have to remove units and improvements tied to the technology?

Regarding your old comment, I implemented the old Civ2 Tactic of making Future Tech a Classical Tech and accessible for research. Tech won't be a major factor of this Mod.
Yes. When you remove one item from the XML you also have to remove every single other item connected to it. Or rather, you have to change its connection.
Either way, if you are making a custom mod and you want to have the game be engaging for a long period of time you have to balance the tech tree so that players don't end up overshooting it mid game. Like say you want the average game to last 800 turns. If your tech tree only lasts for 200 of those that's no good. Same thing with units and such.

The Unit balance in Civ 4 under the Ancient Era is pretty balanced so I don't want to mess with it heavily. I am doing an extra layer of Cavalry (ex. Companion Cavalry for the Macedonians along with the Horse Archer Cavalry as a lighter version).

Tons of unit specific items but mostly staying with standard game play. Focus will be on conquest.

Top Bottom