What is "The Great Mistake"?

What is "The Great Mistake"?

• Our inability to curb emissions to stop global warming?

Votes: 105 23.8%
  • A experiment to fix climate change which went horribly wrong?

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • Mining the moon resulting in it's destruction, which made a mess of earth?

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Good old fashioned M.A.D. nukefest?

Votes: 91 20.6%
  • Genetic manipulation of a virus/phage to cure cancer/something gone wrong?

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • Nothing specific besides the mistake of not working together to make a general mess?

Votes: 62 14.0%
  • To be determined in game by player choices?

Votes: 32 7.2%
  • None of the above?

Votes: 46 10.4%

• Total voters
One nice bit in CivBE about the Great Mistake - is just one line, given upon reaching one of Harmony affinity levels, iirc. It reads: "I wonder what life was like on Earth when the whole atmosphere was breathable?".

You see, nuclear conflict can't render Earth athmosphere not breathable. The only thing which can do it - is massive dyout of Earth photosynthetic organisms, including most of algae in the ocean (and the ocean is some 71% of Earth surface, you know).

Nuclear conflict can't kill algae in the ocean any much. What can? Pollution, of course. Even now, world ocean is already changed its acidity - there is over 30% increase of amount of acidic agents in the ocean, which already caused nearly half of world corals to die - and corals are important basis for lots of ocean life.

Millions tons of plastic (and especially dangerous "micro-plastic") - is already causing trouble for ocean life in all four major Earth oceans. It persists in ocean water for many decades, fragmenting more and more, thus blocking more and more sunlight and entering all sorts of food chains.

Oil spills in the ocean are common. Only few big "catastrophic" ones are heard by general public, like recent BP spill in the gulf of Mexico. In reality, there are dozens large ones every year - some from super-tankers, some from shore drilling and oil extraction operations, some from tar sands operations, etc.

Industrial agriculture produces runoff of toxic chemicals, which ends up in the ocean; probably millions tons of it every year.

Etc etc. But of course, this is "only a start". If you'd give modern industrial civilization two or three centuries of present-day "business as usual", quite possibly it'd manage to destroy vast majority of photosynthetic organisms on Earth. And this is exactly what would make, some time later, whole Earth athmosphere unbreathable: humans need minimum 12% of oxygen to breathe, and free oxygen is only produced by photosynthetic organisms; without (most of) them, free oxygen will deplete (oxydation processes around the globe are massive) rather fast.

Bottom line: gentlemen, regional nuclear conflicts and geo-engineering - are only two of specific, obvious trouble-makers that modern civilization is likely to produce. There are dozens more - well less known, - of which few above is only a small part. Root cause of all of those, though, is exactly "we" - humans, as i said above. Rust Cohle seems to agree, as demonstrated by the previous post.

P.S. I agree with Rust Cohle when he says it'd be good to deny our programming. We need this, yes. But i disagree that the best thing to go when doing it - is to go extinct. Instead, i think in very best case, we humans must try to create another form of sapient beings: beings which can self-reproduce, evolve, develop their intellect and culture, and shape matter even better than we humans can. But those beings should not be alive; they should not be "animals". We are intelligent animals, and as i explained above, this duality is at the root of our (and Earth's) problems. This duality should not be. Ergo, sapient beings should ideally be not animals; not even living beings. Note, one must realize what "living" and "life" is here; as defined in 1970s by some of best biologists, "life is a chemical process made of bio-elements (Carbon, Nitrogen, Phosphour, Hydrogen and few others) within water solution (every living cell is liquid inside), which process is ongoing through the path of increasing complexity and is driven, ultimately, by energy of the Sun". This is what life is; and beings which i am talking about - are non-organic automates, self-replicating and self-developing, initial version of which is created by humans and is given potent enough sensors and artificial intellect. Those beings would not have all the dead-weight of human instincts and desires and needs. For good or for bad, those "robots" are the way to keep intelligent beings in existance, long-term; it'd be a shame if intellect would disappear when we humans extinct, after all. And i am not the first - by far - to realize how stable and efficient artificial evolution may in fact be; see, for example, "Invincible" by Stanislav Lem, he describes his "Necro-evolution" rather well in the 2nd half of the book. Granted, he doesn't make it to look pretty, but his book generally comes to the same conclusion: non-living beings who can evolve and are intelligent - should be "allowed" (i.e. shouldn't be "destroyed" or "prevented").

If you're talking about the Domination Victory screen, then it's reliability is dubious, at best since it refers to the conflict as "terrible and glorious". It emphasizes the conflict and then states that the conflict wasn't the mistake. The mistake was thinking peace was possible.

You can see it here.

It's clearly an unreliable narration.

Similarly, we don't know what caused the war. It's very possible environmental collapse led to a scarcity of resources which led to the war. Meaning, the mistake was not taking care of the environment and the war was the final nail in the coffin, not necessarily the mistake itself.

Unless you're referring to something else.

Firaxis said it in some convention last year. They said it wasnt canon (as in, the game doesnt enforce it so the player can make their own "Great Mistake" in their heads) but its the version of the great mistake they worked with while designing the game, so it is canon.

... They said it wasnt canon ...
They said it's not canon, so it's not canon, i get it. Cool.

... but its the version of the great mistake they worked with while designing the game, so it is canon.
Ah, ok, it's canon because they made it canon. I get it. Cool.

A little problem, though: the thing can't be "not canon" and "canon" in the same time, can it?

And no, i won't agree that we shouldn't respect the word of Civ:BE creators (the word which says it's not canon) only because their work indicates otherwise. If we don't respect their word on the subject, then why should be respect their _work_ on ths subject? We shouldn't. We either respect both their word and their work, or none. I hope you see what i mean.

Logical conclusion: the only possibility to avoid unsolvable contradiction here - is to drop the suggestion that their _work_ indicated it's canon. Please, consider this possibility. I'm very curious what you think about this all, too.

Firaxis said it in some convention last year.
Source?

They said it wasnt canon (as in, the game doesnt enforce it so the player can make their own "Great Mistake" in their heads) but its the version of the great mistake they worked with while designing the game, so it is canon.
It's canon but it isn't?

By definition, something can't be both canon and non-canon.

I'm going to assume is 1 Unit per Tile, which basically ruins the world of Civ V. Unfortunately it carries on in BE.
nope! civ5 has "overwhelmingly positive" reviews on steam. it's a massive success.

you do not like 1upt? it's the future man! deal with it!

like they say: adapt or die. it's your choice.

nope! civ5 has "overwhelmingly positive" reviews on steam. it's a massive success.
And how many of those positive reviewers are old civ players and how many new ones?:p

I wouldn't count success on how many games it sold, but on how many players still play it after 20 years.

The future should've been the army system from Civ 3. But the Great Mistake happened.:D

Moderator Action: Enough about 1 UPT. That joke was first made on page 3 of this thread and got old quickly. This is not the thread for that discussion.

And how many of those positive reviewers are old civ players?:p
few. many old civers are turned off by civ5.

I wouldn't count success on how many games it sold, but on how many players still play it after 20 years.
20 years? wat? 20 years ago 2 megabytes of RAM was awesome.
"640 kb will be enough for everybody!" (c) :lol:

few. many old civers are turned off by civ5.

20 years? wat? 20 years ago 2 megabytes of RAM was awesome.
"640 kb will be enough for everybody!" (c) :lol:
Correct about civ5. Most old civers can't change their ways (to think and play). I am one of the few who are not turned off by civ5 (and BE). And you won't find older civer than i: i spent unholy amount of time with Civ1, and similar amount with Civ2...

Incorrect about 2Mb being awesome by 1995. By that time, we had Pentium CPUs, DIMM (iirc) and "awesome" was something like 64Mb RAM, already. 16Mb was "excellent", 4Mb - "tolerable". For a gaming rig, that is.

And - yes, 20 years ago, many great games existed which are still played in modern days by LOTS of people. Redrake is entirely correct. If you don't believe our word, then i can open your eyes so that you see for yourself:
Spoiler :

- here's some good RTS gameplay in a game which is 23+ years old
- here's a speedrun of an adventure game (awesome one!) which is ~22 years old
- here's some multiplayer action in a modern re-make of a game which is 20+ years old (the great commentary is NOT part of the game :lol:)
- here's my own gameplay in a game ~23 years old
- here's whole longplay of a relatively short, but epic game which is 20 years old. If you never seen this one, do be patient for first two minutes. If by the 2:00 mark you're not hooked in, then i don't know if _any_ game can hook ya... %)
- here's longplay of extremely hi-tech (and the time) game which is 24 years old, the video is uploaded just few months ago. The music in the intro, - the game was able to play it even on a PC SPEAKER. I didn't believe my ears when i heard this myself some ~22 years ago; PC speaker is the thing which makes the "beep" when you turn on your PC. It's not supposed to play music, and until this game, i was quite sure it can't. Truth is, it can, but for that, lowest-level sound programming is required. Whole game is less than 1Mb in size, iirc. With sounds, graphics and music all included.

The list goes on and on. Some games of 1990s are more art than present-day "triple-A" ones. Back in the day, game making was a frontier; today, mainstream, it's a business. With all consequences involved. Luckily, old goodies are with us. Granted, not so easy to find truly good ones, but hey, it's the same with most other good things in life, not just games. ;)

Good luck!

The Great Mistake was started when Hutama wanted to build a brewery chain around the world "What's yours is drinkable. For a price!"
But Suzanne Fielding commented "As Adam Smith said, breweries are the lifeblood of the economy" and started her own chain.
Then Samal said "No village has been ruined by booze!" and made his own chain.

You can see where this was going.
The Great Mistake was after the drinking contest when the leaders uncovered an ancient copy of Fifty Shades Of Grey and did a dramatic reading in turns. After that, the Seeding was created to get the book as far away from Earth as possible. And the world leaders too as punishment for starting the Great Mistake.

The Great Mistake was started when Hutama wanted to build a brewery chain around the world "What's yours is drinkable. For a price!"
But Suzanne Fielding commented "As Adam Smith said, breweries are the lifeblood of the economy" and started her own chain.
Then Samal said "No village has been ruined by booze!" and made his own chain.

You can see where this was going.
The Great Mistake was after the drinking contest when the leaders uncovered an ancient copy of Fifty Shades Of Grey and did a dramatic reading in turns. After that, the Seeding was created to get the book as far away from Earth as possible. And the world leaders too as punishment for starting the Great Mistake.
That was hilarious.............ly unfunny. :mischief:

Great speculation on what is "The Great Mistake". There's a lot of good theories in this thread, very impressive.

I vote nuclear exchange partially because it is a convenient explanation for why there are no true nuclear missiles in the game or weapons above that caliber.

Everyone knows the catastrophe that nuclear war brought, and there is an unspoken agreement to never repeat that mistake.

I vote nuclear exchange partially because it is a convenient explanation for why there are no true nuclear missiles in the game or weapons above that caliber.

Everyone knows the catastrophe that nuclear war brought, and there is an unspoken agreement to never repeat that mistake.

Even in a world where Atomics are illegal both the Atradies and Harkonen have employed there usage. I don't see why they wouldn't use a viable weapon it's kinda bugged me that there are none.

Yeah it was probably a short ranged missile exchange that caused a chain reaction on fault lines or something.

Even in a world where Atomics are illegal both the Atradies and Harkonen have employed there usage. I don't see why they wouldn't use a viable weapon it's kinda bugged me that there are none.

Yeah it was probably a short ranged missile exchange that caused a chain reaction on fault lines or something.

In my head its not really about not using nukes in particular so much as an unspoken agreement that warfare should be limited to prevent another Great Mistake.

If anything mankind does could actually mess with Earth on the level hinted, it would be tossing a bunch of nukes around in my opinion.

In my head its not really about not using nukes in particular so much as an unspoken agreement that warfare should be limited to prevent another Great Mistake.

If anything mankind does could actually mess with Earth on the level hinted, it would be tossing a bunch of nukes around in my opinion.

There was a book similar to this where wars were extremely limited. But I don't remember it's title.

I agree with you. But there are levels of Nuclear Weaponry. Same with chemical and biological.

I mean you could make espionage missions to slowly poison citizens and such or lower happiness.

But yeah that's my thoughts some sort of bomb that ruptured fault lines creating worldwide Tsunamis and volcanic eruptions.

Top Bottom