What is this wonder?

While you're all waiting for Civ VI to roll out, read The Bronze God of Rhodes, a novel about the construction of the Colossus. Written by a trained archeologist who also just happened to be a Grand Master of Fantasy/Science Fiction (L. Sprague DeCamp) it has a very good description of the probable construction techniques and pose of the statue. Legs straddling the harbor entrance were NOT included!
The book is back in print now in an electronic/downloadable edition

Some of the people that play Civilization games.
But why though? Why is realism more important in the appearance of a wonder than in its effects? Now that I think more about it, I'm somewhat guilty of this as well... If the Pyramids looked like a bright red cube but had totally plausible effects, I'd be far less satisfied than if they came with a nonsense effect like granting governments, yet looked the part (disregarding size), as they do in previous Civs as well as in Civ VI. It's hard to reconcile this in my mind, because I've always thought that I value substance over style (at least when it comes to strategy games).... I guess it could simply be because the 'mids would be visible all the time on the map, while their effect would be hidden unless specifically sought for or thought about. Out of sight, out of mind...

It somewhat looks like I've dismantled my own argument, but as I said before, the legs of the Colossus are such a minor detail that it would likely go unnoticed by most players, so it's not comparable to total irrealism. There are degrees to most things; I'd be happiest with a man-spreading Colossus with vaguely historical effects which would also be fun in terms of actual gameplay. :D

@Boris Gudenuf: thank for providing something useful to this thread! :p To be fair though, the op's question was answered, so all this leg-raising can't be considered harmful, unsightly as it may be to some. :lol:

But why though? Why is realism more important in the appearance of a wonder than in its effects?

Gameplay is more important than realism, but realism is still important for immersion. So, the effects need to be tied to the rest of the gameplay, while appearance have no gameplay effect and thus only realism matters.

Gameplay is more important than realism, but realism is still important for immersion. So, the effects need to be tied to the rest of the gameplay, while appearance have no gameplay effect and thus only realism matters.
This is a good explanation! :) Seems obvious now that you said it. This + the graphics being visible all the time seem sufficient to explain the phenomenon. There's still the coolness factor to consider though, and I maintain that a Colossus that straddles the port is more impressive than a bronze dude you simply chuck in the water. So in this case:

Gameplay effect: +- 0
Coolness factor: +10
Realism factor: -0,5

Your values may vary, but mine are correct... :mischief:

Just a guess, but could it be Athena Promachos? This was the colossal statue of Athena situated atop the Acropolis next to the Parthenon, made of bronze and ivory, and so big that it is said that the tip of her spear could be seen from as far away as cape Sounion. It wasn't built in the sea ... but, just from its appearance in the picture, it makes me think that it could be ... don't know.

Top Bottom