What is your build order?

stwils

Emperor
So what do you build first in the early game? I read that warrior - warrior - settler - warrior - warrior - settler is the way to go.

After playing Civ3 I am finding it hard to get used to not getting a worker at the beginning along with a settler. In Civ1 settlers are used as workers and/or to settle a town.

So when you produce a settler you have to choose between building another city or improving the one you have.

What do you do?

stwils

I am sure there are different approaches.

Assuming the food and shield supply permits, my first city usually builds militia-settler-militia-settler, the 2nd and 3rd cities settler-militia or phalanx-settler, and subsequent cities settler-phalanx, then other improvements.

Short answer: the first few cities build 2 settlers each, then each new city makes one.

Especially on higher levels you might have a city need to build a 3rd settler to keep the population low enough until you are on your way toward religion (I avoid colloseums, and try to build as few temples as I need to before discovering religion and building cathedrals.) That is one big difference between Civ1 and Civ3: in Civ1, settlers don't set back population as much, and small cities can't afford to support nearly as many military units.

This approach leaves cities undefended for a significant time after their founding. This is a fairly safe risk if you are alone on your continent or have found one other civ and can keep tabs on it with one or two militiamen on the frontier. Build extra militia early if you need them to build a "wall" of one military unit every third square to confine the other civ to a small region (it rarely takes more than 2 or 3 to this) - and free you of the need to have a garrison in every city.

You have to get the guards in place before many civs discover mapmaking, of course.

I usually build lots of settlers early in the game, early expansion is my favourite way of playing the game. I usually guard my cities with one unit (phalanx) or two (in higher levels).
Whenever I meet the AI I start building offensive units until they're gone...

Whenever I try to develop my civ I usually build temple, marketplace, library, aquaduct and then it depends: stuff to keep people happy or stuff to boost trade (in high trade cities) or stuff to boost production (in high production cities). Else I build military units and caravans (to make more money!)

hmm, this is nostalgic. :)

Back in the day (before I knew anything), I used to build:

Barracks - Phalanx - Pioneer.

(They're not settlers. ;))

Settler - Settler - Militia/Chariot - Temple - Settler - Settler - Caravan - Caravan - Marketplace - Caravan - Caravan - Bank - Cathedral - Aqueduct

Or something.

Settlers for expansion, take out civs on the same continent with Chariots, Form Republic, build a Temple, grow to size 5, build a Settler to improve the land and so on.

I'm a bit more conservative:

Militia
Phalanx
Barracks
Phalanx2 (disband militia unit)
CHARIOTS!
Settlers (until continent is full +1 for city improvement)
Temple, Library, Marketplace, Cathederal, Bank, Aqueduct, University, Colloseum...

Top Bottom