Votes: 81 22.4%
  • emperor

Votes: 95 26.3%
  • immortal

Votes: 82 22.7%
  • deity

Votes: 48 13.3%

• Total voters
Won my last 2 immortal games in G&K. I feel like it made things much easier, by mid-game I was already out-teching the AI, by the end I had GDRs and the most advanced Civ only had basic infantry. Second game was a space win by 1909.

I think it's the new tradition policies and the fact that happiness isn't a problem any more that makes it so easy to destroy the AI tech wise. Buying great scientists with faith is pretty neat, too.

The game is easier for me at Emperor now so I'll have to move up to Immortal for a challenge. Think the new civs and city state mechanics are just too powerful.

What speed and how many civs though? I am a fan of long epic games on King with tons of city states and civs.

I was mainly Prince in vanilla because I didn't want to worry about a lot of things, and honestly, sometimes smashing the AI is quite enjoyable. In G&Ks it was too much on prince, where I felt from turn 10 or 15 I was assured victory, so I've been playing king. I will likely move up to emperor though as I still feel like I can play quite loosely and still be fine.

My last game was Huns on standard Pangea with 12 civs. That was quite a fun game, and taught me a fair bit about fighting off 6 opps on the far flung sides of ones empire.

Immortal is where I have the most fun. You can still get a lot of wonders when you have marble/and a decent capitol. I stepped up from Emperor since I learned how to effectively defend against the early rush that almost always happens. But I play on Standard maps. Which is easier than LArge/Huge.

Inspired by MadJinn i am currently also playing a deity game on Large Islands with Carthage, and I am (barely) holding up. But probably someone will out tech me and go for a space victory.

I find that immortal games are easier on larger maps, you just have to get very good at ICS and pick good religion settings (ceremonial burial + pagodas can give you a ridiculous amount of happiness). Deity it doesn't really matter, you need some serious luck to win any deity game.

I picked immortal. I finally went back up to immortal yesterday, and I'm absolutely dominating that game now, so I'm counting it as a win. Played 2 kings while figuring out the new game mechanics, plus 3 more on emperor before jumping up to immortal.

Playing OCC Emperor in G&K feels like almost playing Immortal in Vanilla Civ,specially with a Warmonger Runaway Civ on other continent . In the first week of G&K,I've been playing in King and after that,moved to Emperor,which seems a good difficult to me,in both Vanilla and G&K .

The best kind of game is the one where you are out-teched and outgunned.

I've just won a KING game, but was a little hard since AI took my capital city on the classical era :eek:. I managed to recover it but it really made me angry :mad:. I just started to fight one by one. Since Austria and Germany were on another continent I had to fight a war moving troops across the ocean. I have to admit that AI was not a problem fighting on the ocean :p. I just had to make sure she didn't have many units to start walking up and taking its cities. I will try now th EMPEROR level. Hope I can beat the AI. I always prefer to fight and beat the AI since she improves better than I do :blush:.

I have won several on Immortal in vanilla, but it's tedious and I find that I'm outmatched at deity because I refuse to play a specific way for some epeen trophy. Emperor suits my style fine. Your focus doesn't have to be so narrow and all win conditions are doable, even without a huge amount of planning.

Immortal is fine. Tried playing on deity, but it was just depressing. You can't found a religion unless you get lucky with NW's or something and with that you get a free + modifier with some civ and get locked out of most of the new content G&K has to offer.

I don't really think of Deity as playing civ, honestly. I can do it, have the achievements, but at no point do I feel like I'm building an empire, I'm just playing a very, very demanding strategy game that also requires quite a bit of luck. Satisfying maybe twice, tedious after that.

I play Immortal if I have a focused strategy in mind. I play King/Emperor if I'm just kind of messing around. King is much too easy for me - had so many wonders built in my capital that I had to scroll the list just to see them all - but fun sometimes. Emperor is a decent challenge, if I'm playing a meandering, unfocused game where I pick my victory condition well into it.

I haven't played many games at all since I was very disappointed with civ5 on its release after being quite the civ4 fanatic and I've only recently picked it up again after the G&K expansion.

I've been playing on immortal so far and I'm a little concerned that it might be sligthly easier than I would like and that deity might be too big of a gap to be truly enjoyable (that remains to be seen however). I was a deity level player in civ4 and had about 50% win rate or so there at the end but with that said it typically relied heavily on exploiting the AI in any and all ways possible and the options definitely felt more limited than on the immortal setting.

With the more obscure diplomatic relations of civ5 i can definitely see it being a little more hit and miss. There were complaints on these boards even for civ4 that there really ought to be an intermediary level between immortal and deity with a difficulty somewhere in between that would prove challenging yet for the most part ending in victory for the seasoned player.

I always play emporer.. find I'm winning pretty much everytime now, so might give immortal a spin. I still find it fun on emporer though regardless.

I dont use any tricks, I just love strategy games so I can pretty much bleed any AI opponent dry if he attacks me.

In vanilla I played emperor-deity games but in G&K I played one game on prince and then moved on to king. Somehow the game seems a bit more challenging at this point, but I guess that once I master the new mechanics, units and tech orders, I'll eventually be back at playing on deity.

Voted Chieftain because so far I have been royally owned even on this low level.

chieftain is the level i started my civ v with. Then i bought the bradygames guide and everything changed! I know many people don't like the guides but i found it very useful for players at lower level!

I haven't played many games at all since I was very disappointed with civ5 on its release after being quite the civ4 fanatic and I've only recently picked it up again after the G&K expansion.

I've been playing on immortal so far and I'm a little concerned that it might be sligthly easier than I would like and that deity might be too big of a gap to be truly enjoyable (that remains to be seen however). I was a deity level player in civ4 and had about 50% win rate or so there at the end but with that said it typically relied heavily on exploiting the AI in any and all ways possible and the options definitely felt more limited than on the immortal setting.

With the more obscure diplomatic relations of civ5 i can definitely see it being a little more hit and miss. There were complaints on these boards even for civ4 that there really ought to be an intermediary level between immortal and deity with a difficulty somewhere in between that would prove challenging yet for the most part ending in victory for the seasoned player.

There are some good mods that add intermediary levels, including an "immortal +" level. I haven't tried any of them with G+K yet, however.

Launched spaceship on my first G+K immortal game in 1858 (turn 299) last night. Was running about 1850 :c5science: by the end.

In vanilla I played emperor-deity games but in G&K I played one game on prince and then moved on to king. Somehow the game seems a bit more challenging at this point, but I guess that once I master the new mechanics, units and tech orders, I'll eventually be back at playing on deity.

I've noticed that the AI is significantly more capable at warfare now, it's extremely tough to take cities even on lower levels without losing a couple of units. That doesn't make much difference on king or emperor, but on immortal it's more of a struggle and deity will certainly be even more so.

Immortal is my go-to and I mostly win but it keeps me on my toes.

Emperor is simply too easy unless I'm trying something crazy like an OCC Monty cultural victory where I will bump it down to Emperor.

Deity is beatable if I choose a top-notch civ that plays well with the scenario (like Ottomans on a watery map), but it is a lot of work, and I have to play absolutely efficiently and unethically. Good for an occasional, but not much fun otherwise. As others have mentioned it also takes a lot of the game out.

Top Bottom