Votes: 19 4.9%
  • The Shoshone

Votes: 39 10.1%
  • The Zulus

Votes: 99 25.5%
  • Venice

Votes: 72 18.6%

• Total voters
Well if I could pick two I say Zulu and Venice. I picked Zulu because I am not a warmonger yet Assyria at least seems viable for me to play. Why I would have picked Venice despite me being a tall player OCC is not my style the Merchant of Venice does not help cause it be until the medieval era for a merchant, and then can you can only puppet when I would prefer annexation.

zulu UB supposedly grants extra combat strength and extra movement[!!] (pre-gunpowder)
how do faster[!!], stronger, cheaper[!!] pikemen who attack twice a turn and level up quicker not appeal to u n*rds

People really like Portugal the way it was designed, which is quite a surprise for me. A mad queen, a generic UA name in Latin, an evidently uninspired UU, the list goes on. Portugal achieved great culture and impressive deeds, but I feel they are oddly represented. Anyway, I voted Venice because what the hell WHY VENETO?...

Venice...
I've heard the arguments, and I've learned a great deal about a civilization I didn't even know existed, and Dandolo looks pretty awesome, but... meh.

The Zulu's they are so played out it's almost insulting the lack of creativity.

Venice since it makes you play in one way and no others. Their UU's are blandly named and have quite boring abilities. The design is also counterintuitive: You need to conquer City States to start and later other cities which will deprive you of trading partners for your double trade routes. Also, every UA that deprives you of options instead of providing you with new ones is bad.

Zulu takes the silver spot sind it's a straightforward medieval war civ when we could have gotten so many quite creative designs. Also, a industrial-era war bloomer would be unique while there are quite a few medieval warmongerers already... Apart from a focus on military, it also has no other bonuses, so it makes a very bland civ. You will play more often against them than as them.

Bronze goes to the Indonesia for their very erratic and AI-unfriendly design. The civ wants to get everything with their UA, but achieves no consistency whatsoever.

I really like all of them, but I guess Indonesia is the one that interests me the least? I can't really tell before playing as them, though.

I am shocked, I think Venice is the coolest civilization out of the entire expansion, I thought this was general public thought as well. If most people do not like it, gives me one more reason to play it :cool:

I'm voting the Zulu because they seem to be included just to be the big bad boogey man enemy warmonger AI civ that has come to rape your churches and burn your women......sadly There is a line starting with Montezuma that is quite long filled with such civs.
Raping the churches and burning the women? :mischief:

I am shocked, I think Venice is the coolest civilization out of the entire expansion, I thought this was general public thought as well. If most people do not like it, gives me one more reason to play it :cool:
I think that people cannot leave the idea of 'Venice should be a CS' and because it's in Europe people just don't like it. Shame.

I voted for the Zulu for pretty much the same reasons that everyone else posted. I like them, but I would have preferred other sub-Sahara civs. Too bad that they were chosen just because of fan request. And the pure warmonger abilities just don't attract me.

Venice

I'm concerned about how it will effect the rest of the game. It can't expand which means free space for whichever civ happens to be lucky enough to wind up its neighbor. This might translate into earlier/easier runaways. (On the other hand, if the space isn't taken advantage of then it just makes the map look ugly. I'm already annoyed at the amount of blank space on the map in the later stages of the game.)

I think you mean "free cities for Venice to conquer." Seriously, don't settle near Venice if you know what's good for you.

I think that people cannot leave the idea of 'Venice should be a CS' and because it's in Europe people just don't like it. Shame.

I voted for the Zulu for pretty much the same reasons that everyone else posted. I like them, but I would have preferred other sub-Sahara civs. Too bad that they were chosen just because of fan request. And the pure warmonger abilities just don't attract me.

It's not Europe. People want Hungary.
Venice is just unpopular because it's too mainstream.

Indonesia is the least interesting civilization to me, but I like them all, therefore I chose not to vote

I picked Zulu because I don't really have a warmongering playstyle, but the Impi seems pretty badass. Also, to address all the complaints I'm hearing:

Poland: Sure, it's not very creative, but free Social Policies is going to be amazing.

Portugal: "Mare clausum" is a specific term which referred to Portugal having the only access to the sea routes to Brazil, Africa, and Asia. The Feitoria brilliantly illustrates this.

Venice: Sure, the unique names are stupid. But double (DOUBLE!!!) trade routes are going to be fantastic, and even if you're gobbling up the city-states, there will still be plenty of trading partners, unless you're on a Duel map. And as has been stated many, many times on this forum, the Republic of Venice is completely legitimate as a civ - it lasted for over 1000 years as an independent nation, and successfully sacked Constantinople.

Zulu: Like I said, I don't normally play as a warmongerer, but they seem very good at that indeed.

Really, I'm like seancolorado - I don't have a least favorite, just a 9th favorite.

I'm actually ok with Venice and the Zulus. I have to say, I liked most of the added civs of this expansion! I have, though, 2 civs that I'm not so excited about as most people:

1. Morocco - They're cool, don't get me wrong. I just disliked the theme color and I'm not very excited about their bonuses. Kasbah? Ok, I guess. Berber Cavalry? Seems quite meh. Gateway to Africa? Sounds powerful, but for some reason I'm not interested. Also, I don't share the public opinion (pre-shoshone/venice) that they have the best leaderscreen ever omg!!!!, I actually prefered Poland's.

2. Shoshones - This one is not because of the gameplay, as they seem to be nice, but because of my personal tastes. I'm not into native american civs, that's all. It doesn't mean I won't play them (I liked how they were represented in game and the leader screen is quite cool!), but that they won't be on the top of my list.

I picked Zulu... as many people pointed out, bland and uninteresting. Maybe should have gone with Kongo or something instead.

Top Bottom