What is your major?

I was planning on Math, but then I delayed it for a year or two for a more interesting Computer Science major. I do plan to take Computer science up to a Master's degree.

I'm studying for a civil engineer degree in Technically Physics and Electrotechnics, International, with an applied maths specialization. The "International" bit is a fancy way of saying I'm taking classes in German in addition to my technical subjects.

I start college next year. I plan on majoring in Political Science, and minoring in either Percussion Performance, Jazz Studies, or American History

Industrial Engineering here, with emphasis on finances.

Mise said:
Physics. Those bastards told me that I could get whatever job I wanted with a Physics degree. Now they tell me that 14.6% of Physics graduates at my university end up unemployed, and it's the 3rd best uni in the UK.

yeah, that stuff has been changing. I think someone made a comment about about having the only "money-making" major, but that doesn't seem to hold true anymore. The university I attended has been rated the top university in Canada for 12 of the past 13 years, and is particularly known for its Engineering and Computer Science Depts. However, the Psychology Dept. (which I was in) is also quite large, and, two-years after graduation, Psych students have the lowest unemployment rate and have an average higher pay-rate than Engineers and Math students. There are several reasons for this. For one thing, the Computer Science industry is bursting with new students all the time because it's seen as a guaranteed high-paying field. Up until five years ago, Microsoft had a standing offer to pay for moving costs and give something like a 60k job to anyone successfully graduating from the Software Engineering program at my university (you might have needed to be in Honours too, I can't remember). I understand that, these days, Microsoft only hires temp-workers or something. Back in the '70s, OTOH, when both my parents attended this university and graduated from the Comp. Sci. Dept., the computer industry was just getting started. It was new, exciting and no one knew a whole lot about it and person with a degree in the field had their pick of jobs, easily. My mom's boyfriend, OTOH, who is only about ten years younger, has difficulty finding work all the time despite being a very skilled software engineer. He is currently finding it very stressful as a freelance software engineer, bouncing from one six-month project to another, trying to co-ordinate the end of one with the beginning of the next, never feeling very secure. That seems to be the reality of the situation now, at least in Southern Ontario.

Anyway, I don't get what all these "majors" and "minors" are. How does that work?

At my school, anyway, you would normally take 10 courses in a full year (two terms), each worth half a credit. You need 10 full credits for (each of) your major(s), and five full credits for (each of) your minor(s).

I'm probably going to double major in some sort of Engineering and Economics. For graduate school, I'm going to be doing medicine, though. Princeton doesn't allow you simply to do "pre-med"; rather, you have to major in something else while taking certain classes that are necessary for graduate school at the same time.

newfangle said:
No credible university has a "pre-med" program, Yom. :)
Its not good form. There's no such thing as a pre-doctor.
Alright. I knew it was the case in Harvard, as well, but I didn't know that it was a widespread thing.

Yom said:
I'm probably going to double major in some sort of Engineering and Economics. For graduate school, I'm going to be doing medicine, though. Princeton doesn't allow you simply to do "pre-med"; rather, you have to major in something else while taking certain classes that are necessary for graduate school at the same time.
Why don't you do biology if you're planning to go into medicine?

blindside said:
Why don't you do biology if you're planning to go into medicine?
Because I want to have as diverse of an education as possible to satisfy my boundless curiousity. I'm already going to have to learn a lot about biology, so majoring in Economics and Engineering allows me to learn about other things as well.

Right now, I am in the Pure and Applied Science program at CEGEP, working toward a DEC. As for my future prospects, I not sure where to go. I am think to towards the nature sciences, like physics and chemistry.

Babbler said:
Right now, I am in the Pure and Applied Science program at CEGEP, working toward a DEC. As for my future prospects, I not sure where to go. I am think to towards the nature sciences, like physics and chemistry.

Mes sincères condoléances :lol: What Cegep are you in? I did my sciences pures 3 years ago and only keep bad memories about it. I still have some books and projects if you need any.

Rhymes said:
Mes sincères condoléances :lol: What Cegep are you in? I did my sciences pures 3 years ago and only keep bad memories about it. I still have some books and projects if you need any.

It an anglophone CEGEP - Dawson College. It doesn't seem that bad to me, but then agian, I am only the second semester, so I haven't done the compresenive assesment or the English exit exam.

Top Bottom