What needs to be changed in multiplayer in the Expansion

Altisma

Warlord
There are plenty of issues with multiplayer now. What I’m aiming to talk about it is not the common stuff like lag, stability, crashes, etc but more of the game functions that are still missing or needed. I personally want to see some of this included in Brave New World or in a patch

1. Turn Based Multiplayer

a. Currently multiplayer is all about a click fest. Make your units move before your opponent reacts and you can save them, or kill your opponents unit before he runs away. What needs to happen is an option should be created in the game lobby for a host to disable it or enable it. By default it should be enabled (most people you find hosting lobbies randomly can be idiots and not change anything).

Adding this feature can potentially change the game with the way multiplayer works. I wouldn’t be surprised if melee units like swordsmen and horsemen became useful again other than taking for cities on that last hit. Though I’m sure comp/cross/arty/bomber units will rule the combat game still but that is for another discussion.

2. Using "Good" AI with Larger Games

a. Currently the average size of games is 6 players. 4 players happen with quick games and 8 player games are rare. Then there are the 1v1 games. Basically it’s a 60/30/10 ratio with 6/4/8 player games. With the BNW expansion taking gold away from coastal and river tiles were left with only 5 other players and city states to trade with to get gold. And from seeing the videos land based trade isn’t very much compared to sea and city states won’t always be there for some players. Then 6 players usually will drop to 4 if there is a warmonger which reduces the trade even further.

There is no real way to fix it so larger games could be played since players won’t always have time to finish it (NQ steam group isn’t the solution, the group doesn’t even enforce finishing saved games enough), stability issues get worse, etc.

That leaves the AI as probably the only thing that could enhance it for larger games. Best way to do it is to bring the single player AI to multiplayer. Currently the AI is ******ed in multiplayer and serves only as an easy land grab or gold grab. Bringing the same AI used in Single Player to multiplayer creates a larger game assuming the host sets the difficulty on it so it won’t be a waiting to give cash away to the player who asks. On top of bringing the AI mind from single player to multiplayer there would need to better improvements made to it so it’s not as stupid as it currently is in single player. But at least making the AI behave the same way it does normally would be a good solution for larger games while still being multiplayer.

Next with the AI is introducing multiplayer variant difficulties. Currently when a player leaves the game, and a emperor AI takes over, it can screw up other players due to some of the bonuses such as quicker to build wonders or grabbing influence with all city states with its massive gold per turn rate. This is basically a out of game variable that can screw over someone in a crucial moment. It would be nice to control the AI's bonuses but leave other settings on like ability to build numerous units.

3. The Timer

a. Probably the most important aspect that needs to be looked at now. Currently all you can do is enable it then nothing else. There are no options to control it, over time it gets larger and larger and the game ends up taking longer especially with lag. Add in the turn based option that we may getting in a patch following up the BNW expansion and it will taking even longer to the point turn based won’t be used in NQ games or any lobby games.

What needs to happen is there needs to be a variety of options for the host to select to change how many seconds there are. This can be per turn function like this

0-50 30 seconds
50-100 45 seconds
100-150 45 seconds
150-200 45 seconds
200-250 60 seconds
250-300 60 seconds

Then add in certain factors such as
At war- 15 seconds are added to the players turn timers when they are at war (If the game is real time it adds 15 seconds while every other player waits)
Etc

Now with shorter timers like that you make think it’s impossible to finish your turn but what can be done to remedy that is simply having city management, diplomacy, trade, etc. be universally done. That means unit movement and commands can be done during the turn while everything else can be done while waiting on other players to finish their turns.

4. Mods

a. Probably already being looked at now. But enable mods to be used in multiplayer so players can use them. Simple as that but one little function needs to also be included. For any player that joined a modded lobby, it should auto download the files they need to play the game. Unless you have friends, most people won’t play a modded map script simply because they don’t want to waste time looking to download it.

5. DLC Factions

a. Provided that there are any more DLC factions like Babylon, Korea, Denmark, Inca, Spain, Polynesia, or any other DLC content not expansion related like the map scripts and the Ancient Wonders. They should be downloaded by everyone but the people who buy them can use them, even if they are playing with people who don’t have them. A lot of people online are ignorant of the Steam Sales and the new upgrade option for Civ 5 that allows them to get these civs for a really good deal.

6. Scenarios

a. Enable the scenarios to be played in multiplayer. I would love to play the Fall of Rome scenario with players and it would be even funner to play mod scenarios too. While were on this topic, scenarios should also be updated to include the newer game functions. Portugal should be added to the New World scenario, all the scenarios should have the combat system with 100hp, even throw in religion and trade if it helps them, or just leave it the same. Also having these playable makes it easier for time constraint games.

7. Spectator

a. Simple as that, players should be allowed to watch games. Provided it doesn't introduce new stability issues where a spectator freezes the game. Players who lose shouldn't be kicked out of the game also.

8. Numerous errors

a. Currently there are tons of graphic errors, the inability to trade with other players if another trade agreement is in progress, the loss of be able to trade to players if a player leaves the game with a unaccepted trade agreement, desync errors, crashing in a lobby due to joining, crashing in a lobby due to a player joining, crashing in a lobby due to desync issues, crashing ingame due to desync errors, a game freezing up when a player leaves, and a game freezing on loading screen.

Yesterday in the Q&A Dennis said they had some new turn modes: single-player sequential turn style and hybrid, where all turns are at once until combat happens, then it takes sequential turns. Plus they were going to allow you to observe other players' games in progress.

If they are doing that, they probably have other goodies lined up.

Yesterday in the Q&A Dennis said they had some new turn modes: single-player sequential turn style and hybrid, where all turns are at once until combat happens, then it takes sequential turns. Plus they were going to allow you to observe other players' games in progress.

Lets not wait and see. Even if they say they have a turn based solution coming up there is still a issue with the turn timer which needs to be more customizable and controlled by the host player when creating the game. Games right now run longer than they should with the current turn timer often extending the time too long.

Either way, put these ideas out there so they get noticed and included in either the expansion or a patch. This isn't just my idea but a general consensus I did a while back with players on steam and in game about.

I wonder what he meant by "until combat happens."

The hybrid-turn implementation I would like is to be able to move workers/set production etc. at any time, but only being able to move combat units or attack during your "combat turn." Alternatively, the game might just limit attacking to this turn, but you'd still be able to move your units in the simultaneous period (I can see how this might be open to abuse, though). This system would come into play the first time a player attacked another players' units. This aspect, I imagine, might still be troublesome, with a rush to be the first to attack to get first position in the turn order, but it's certainly an improvement over the current system.

From your description, though, it seems like the game shifts over entirely to a turn-based system with the first exchange of blows. That sounds like a jarring transition to me. Does this happen the first time a barbarian attacks one of your units, or is it with the first declaration of war against another player? It any case, interesting to see how it might turn out.

Fix AI slots so that they actually play the game and aren't generally worthless in MP (doing so should also reenable the intrigue system with the AI which is semi gutted in MP at the moment)

Fix AI slots so that they actually play the game and aren't generally worthless in MP (doing so should also reenable the intrigue system with the AI which is semi gutted in MP at the moment)

I mentioned that in my post that the AI needs to be the same as single player where it interacts with players, along with improvements that hopefully keep it from being exploited for gold or making it free land.

I mentioned that in my post that the AI needs to be the same as single player where it interacts with players, along with improvements that hopefully keep it from being exploited for gold or making it free land.

Sorry, I didn't notice. It's not just a large game problem, though. Many people like to play smaller mixed games with AI slots, or play with people/girlfriend as a team against the AI (essentially doing single player co-op). I feel the problem is big enough to be its own problem, especially as it effects other game systems such as the intrigue system.

I also wouldn't mind the option to enable notifications like finding a natural wonder or first meeting a civ that are in SP but not in MP.

Diplomacy between Human Players should be enabled so I an denounce you if you bought that single tile :| I want my denoucements.

Frankly it would be great if its what I am envisioning (That turns happen simultaneously still, but as war happens there is an added time after the main turn where each player at war takes turns moving his combat units. Simply put would be the simplest solution)

The main thing for me is that the ai needs to function properly. Usually I don't play online with more than one or two people. We fill up the remaining slots with ai and they are pointless online. They don't come to you with any deals. The only thing I've ever seen the ai do is declare war on me.

I mostly play with my wife.
We also play Civ 5 together.
:groucho:
We add AI to have a fun game, but the AI cant contact us humans so its kinda pointless. The game feels broken.
Also, we still cant play custom maps that we have done.

WHEN WILL THIS GET FIXED???
Firaxis, PLEASE fix multiplayer.

I'd like to see AI interaction added. Its already at the single player game so it wouldn't be too hard to add to MP. As of now their actions seem way too random as they do not make demans, offer deals or pacts.

Lets not wait and see.

Yeah, let's instead start to whine long before we know all or even most the details of the upcoming multiplayer fixes. :rolleyes:

I'm with Eagle on this one. We don't have enough info on the upcoming multiplayer fixes to speculate if the current issues will still exist under the new system. It seems a lot of your (admittedly valid!) complaints are being addressed now, but we just don't know. Even things like the timer (which I agree is something that needs to be addressed and I've started similar threads on the topic) are just fixes we'll have to wait for more information on. The fact that Firaxis is even looking into multiplayer - and has a whole team devoted to it - is a huge leap forward.

I mentioned that in my post that the AI needs to be the same as single player where it interacts with players...

The reason it doesn't interact with players right now is because while you're tied up in a leader screen, the game either can't progress (what if what they want affects other players), or if the leaderscreen comes up on your turn another player could take advantage and DOW.

It's a crude fix currently, but there is a reason for it. But maybe with the hybrid turn system, that isn't a concern anymore? We just can't say right now.

The reason it doesn't interact with players right now is because while you're tied up in a leader screen, the game either can't progress (what if what they want affects other players), or if the leaderscreen comes up on your turn another player could take advantage and DOW.

It's a crude fix currently, but there is a reason for it. But maybe with the hybrid turn system, that isn't a concern anymore? We just can't say right now.

That doesn't make sense because you can engage in diplomacy currently in MP and be tied up with a leader screen (although the leader screen doesn't display, but that's merely an aesthetic not gameplay problem). You can also make decisions in this diploscreen that affects other players. Actually being in the diplo screen makes no difference if you initiated or if the AI initiated, although you seem to think if the AI initiates its a problem.

The contact you before you can do anything also has a fix. In Hotsteat mode the diplo contact appears on your side and you activate it your due time, and hey this was even in Civ IV where you could set to handle diplo contacts after you've moved, so it's not a new invention.

The reason they don't interact with you at the moment is simple, the MP was shoddily programmed to begin with and they've been too lazy or unable to do anything about it till now.

There is nothing in the current implementation that actively prevents these things from being fixed.

I really hope they open up multiplayer as is with single player:

22 players allowed, mods and all that good stuff.

I don't know what their reasons behind not including it were, but I'm thinking it was related to the challenge of running a multiplayer game for 22 civs in the later eras. I personally hate the concept of disabling features because it is too demanding for some computers.

I really hope they open up multiplayer as is with single player:

22 players allowed, mods and all that good stuff.

I don't know what their reasons behind not including it were, but I'm thinking it was related to the challenge of running a multiplayer game for 22 civs in the later eras. I personally hate the concept of disabling features because it is too demanding for some computers.

I'm pretty sure that it would just be too demanding for all computers. That being said i would like to seem up the support to at least a dozen players.

I'm pretty sure that it would just be too demanding for all computers. That being said i would like to seem up the support to at least a dozen players.

Game time still needs to be shortened if we want to increase the amount of players. Specifically as I mentioned allowing the host to customize the turn timer and allowing stuff as unit movements being done during your turn while city management can be done while waiting on other players.

Top Bottom