What new Civs should be in an expansion?

What Civs should be included in an expansion?

• Assyrians

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Babylonians

Votes: 39 58.2%
  • Byzantines

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Carthaginians

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Celts

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Dutch

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Ethiopians

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Hittites

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Iroquois

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Israelites

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Khmer

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Maya

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • Nubians

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Ottomans

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • Phoenecians

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Portuguese

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • Sumerians

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • 'Vikings'

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • Zimbabweans

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Zulu

Votes: 19 28.4%

• Total voters

brennan

Argumentative Brit
Assuming there is one of course. I have been following a number of threads where people are discussing what civs they would like to see. But as far as I know the devs have already picked all 18 representatives for the actual release of Civ4, so the question is, what new Civs would we like to see in any potential expansion?

I have done a search and looked up the old polls ('19 Civs- lets vote') and notice that the actual list in the game is very similar to the list of Civs that ended up left off the votes due to their either being automatically assumed to be part of the game (China, Rome, Greece...) or doing very well on previous votes (America, Persia...). Except that the Vikings didn't make it for some reason. The new list includes many of the high-scorers from those polls, and a few new ones...

Edit: I would prefer a more specific Civ than 'Vikings', such as the Danes. I voted for Assyria, Phoenecia, Zimbabwe and Khmer.

Try to keep votes to a reasonable number, 4 or 5 perhaps.

I would like to see some new ones (for a change)

South Africa
Ireland
Canada
Australia
Assyria
Israel/Hebrews

and some old ones

Ottomans
Norse/Norway
Babylon
Some kind of Native American tribe (as repressentation)

In Civ 3 why the HELL was the Byzantine leader Theadora? I mean Justinian ruled not her. HE remade the legal code, HE built the Higia Sophi (Spelling), HE expanded the empire not her. If Byzantium is a civ in an expansion plz make it Justinian,

Assuming that there are 8 in an expansion pack, I would go with:

Babylon
Carthage
Celts
Ethiopia
Khmer
Mayans
Ottomans
Vikings

Here is the list of Civs I think should be in the game after all the expansions are in:
1. Inuit
2. Canadians
3. Americans
4. Sioux
5. Iroquois
6. Aztecs
7. Maya
8. Inca
9. Malinke
10. Abyssinians (Ethiopians)
11. Zulu
12. Asanti
13. Carthaginians
14. Egyptians
15. Spanish
16. Potuguese
17. French
18. Celts
19. Romans
20. Greeks
21. English
22. Germans
23. Vikings (Mabey Union of Kelmar if you want to be more specific)
24. Polish
25. Hungarians
26. Russians
27. Turks
28. Phoenicians
29. Israelites
30. Arabs
31. Persians
32. Indians
33. Tibetans
34. Khmer
35. Majaphit (Indonesians)
36. Chinese
37. Mongols
38. Koreans
39. Japanese
40. Anasazi
41. Babylonians
42. Sumerians (41 and 42 could conceivably be replaced with the Assyrians)
I think 41 or 42 is a descent number, it covers pretty much every region with enough people without going way overboard. All of these civilizations have enough cities or sites to be used as settlements , as well as an easily identifiable culture, most of which are still in existence in some form today. They all have at least one "great" ruler (except possibly the Anasazi) to be used as their leader. I did not include the Byzantintes, Ottomans, Songhay, Medeans, Somalis, etc. etc. because other civilizations stand in for them easily ( for example, Romanium for Byzantium and Mali for the Songhay).

EDIT: I can't believe it, but I forgot the Dutch. That makes the total 42 or 43.

Also, I think the culture groups should be as follows:
1. European
2. Mediterranean
3. African
4. Near Eastern
5. South-East Asian (Including the Indians)
6. East Asian
7. North American (Sioux, Iroquois, Canadians, Inuit, and Americans,)
8. Mesoamerican (Aztecs, Maya, Inca, and Anasazi)

Israelite9191 said:
Also, I think the culture groups should be as follows:
1. European
2. Mediterranean
3. African
4. Near Eastern
5. South-East Asian (Including the Indians)
6. East Asian
7. North American (Sioux, Iroquois, Canadians, Inuit, and Americans,)
8. Mesoamerican (Aztecs, Maya, Inca, and Anasazi)
Satellite... The Near East is globally the Asian mediterranean shores. Near Easterners are mediterraneans. And why including Indians in South-East Asians ? There's a bigger cultural difference between Indians and Vietnamese than between Europeans and Mediterraneans.

If they had kept the Mongols out and put in the Babylonians instead, a perfect expansion theme could've been made.

Picture the Mongols, Celts, Zulus, Huns, Vikings, Iroquois* in one expansion: It sells itself. Civ4X: The Hordes! :viking:

*yes, I know they're not really barbarians, but those opposing them certainly thought so.

their are bigger culture differents but they have kinda similair architecture. But that remindes me.

is there a difference in architecture in cities because I havent noticed one. They all seem mediteranian.

Graphics are one of the easiest things to change in a game, they will be leaving out a lot of civ/culture specific stuff till last minute while they tweak more difficult aspects of the game engine.

DBear, Ravening Hordes I like :lol:

Here is the list of Civs I think should be in the game after all the expansions are in:
1. Inuit
2. Canadians
3. Americans
4. Sioux
5. Iroquois
6. Aztecs
7. Maya
8. Inca
9. Malinke
10. Abyssinians (Ethiopians)
11. Zulu
12. Asanti
13. Carthaginians
14. Egyptians
15. Spanish
16. Potuguese
17. French
18. Celts
19. Romans
20. Greeks
21. English
22. Germans
23. Vikings (Mabey Union of Kelmar if you want to be more specific)
24. Polish
25. Hungarians
26. Russians
27. Turks
28. Phoenicians
29. Israelites
30. Arabs
31. Persians
32. Indians
33. Tibetans
34. Khmer
35. Majaphit (Indonesians)
36. Chinese
37. Mongols
38. Koreans
39. Japanese
40. Anasazi
41. Babylonians
42. Sumerians (41 and 42 could conceivably be replaced with the Assyrians)
I think 41 or 42 is a descent number, it covers pretty much every region with enough people without going way overboard. All of these civilizations have enough cities or sites to be used as settlements , as well as an easily identifiable culture, most of which are still in existence in some form today. They all have at least one "great" ruler (except possibly the Anasazi) to be used as their leader. I did not include the Byzantintes, Ottomans, Songhay, Medeans, Somalis, etc. etc. because other civilizations stand in for them easily ( for example, Romanium for Byzantium and Mali for the Songhay).

EDIT: I can't believe it, but I forgot the Dutch. That makes the total 42 or 43.

Dude, you missed out the only country in the world who has occupied an entire CONTINENT at any one time, Australia.

Sure they haven't been around for long time, historically speaking. But their impact on the world has been fairly large.

They are quite unique in that they have never lost a war, some battles but not an entire war.

Some will say that they're culture is too simmilar to England or America, but you just need to experience life in Australia and either of those two nations and you will see that the culture is extremely different.

Australia, per capita, is one of the worlds largest publisher of credible scientific papers and the top echelons of the scientific world always contains many Australians, making them a prime candidate for a Scientific trait. An Australian (Howard Flory, along with some others) discovered pennicillin for heavens sake.

Plus the entire continent is not represented. You could even have the Australian Aborgines if you oppose Australia.

ANd last but not least, why wouldn't you include a nation which once had a Prime Minister who was the world record holder for the consumption of two and a half pints of beer, in only 12 seconds.

angryllama said:
ANd last but not least, why wouldn't you include a nation which once had a Prime Minister who was the world record holder for the consumption of two and a half pints of beer, in only 12 seconds.

:rolleyes:

BRING ON THE NEXT TEST! Go Freddie, Freddie :dance:

Edit: Alexander Fleming (a Scot) discovered penicillin in 1921, Howard Floorey read Flemings paper in 1938 and worked on isolating the active ingredient.

Bring back the :viking: :viking: :viking:

Marla_Singer said:
Satellite... The Near East is globally the Asian mediterranean shores. Near Easterners are mediterraneans. And why including Indians in South-East Asians ? There's a bigger cultural difference between Indians and Vietnamese than between Europeans and Mediterraneans.

because he's trying put a politivcally correct spin on Middle easterners, which do have a significant cultureal difference fromt hat of the classic med sea nations.

1)Byzantium
2)Ethiopia
3)Babylon
4)Siam
5)Maya
6)Carthaginians
7)Celts
8)Tibetans (but they wont get in because of the politics of China)
9)Turks (not modern turkey, or even the ottoman empire, but a generic "Turkic" nation that could start on the steppes of eurasia, as in real life
10)Scandanavians

The first expansion of Civ IV is on stores now, it is called ¡Pirates! and it is a mainly sea escenario of Civ IV on the early modern ages.

We Need More Africans. Do Not Insult The Home Continent!

Angryllams- I forgot to put in the Australians! My bad.

Marla Singer- I put the Indians in with the South-East Asians because they have more in common with them (Hindusim in Cambodia, for example) then they do with the Arabs or the East Asians. As for Near Eastern, that would include the civilizations from modern Iraq, modern Turkey, modern Iran, Central Asia, and Arabia, it would not include the Egyptians, Israelites, and Phoenicians who would be Mediterranean.

Edit: Locksdonkey- I put in 4 African civilizations: the Malinke, Asanti, Abbysinians, and Zulu. That's as much as Mesoamerica and South-East Asia get. I thought of the Zimbabweans, but didn't they have only one city and not enough known history to give them leaders and special units. If I am wrong, I dont know all that much African history, please correct me.

Don't worry overmuch about it. I only hope that at least two African civs make it.

Top Bottom