What % of bad/good Random Events are you getting?

Game_Mieser

Chieftain
Hi

I seem to be getting nothing but bad RE's until the last 400 years or so, in every game, and I wondered if everyone is having this phenominal bad luck or am I alone in the Civilized world...:crazyeye:

If it's just me I hope the game does not have a broken install or something.

I do get quests but those are not Random Events and some games I get between 1-4 quests usually I the earlier time frames before 1500AD.

People tend to remember bad things more often than good ones (hence the billion 'OMG AI IS CHEATIN CUZ MUH GUY DIED WITH 95% COMBAT ODDS!" threads and, so far as I've seen, zero 'OMG IM SO LUCKY I BEAT A GUY WITH 95% COMBAT ODDS!". So, I'm guessing most of the replies will be people agreeing with you that they get tons of bad luck :p

For me, I'd say it's about 50/50, most bad events can be stopped, or even reversed into a positive outcome with gold :D Finacial is even more uber.

It's definitly not about me...:D I have encountered (in one game) 3 seperate barb problems showing up and 7 negative aspects where there is no way of choosing how bad things would be (usually 3 choices), or between good and bad (this or that type of choice).

I have played only one game where I received something "good" in either a single choice (like the parrots thingy) or Deer breeding explosion. So still I have yet to have any really "GREAT" RE's happen as some people have said they get. I'm sure the good and great ones are there but I just have not been lucky enough to get them and wondered if others had something like it happen to them.

I also wonder if the level of play has anything to do with it?

out of the 50+ people that have read this only one has had any RE's... hmmmm... interesting.:rolleyes:

In my last game (marathon), I was blessed with good events until the industrial age, by which time I had the gold to not let it bother me. I noticed plenty of bad stuff early on happened to the other civs.

First thing is: they're RANDOM events

Second thing is: it doesn't only matter how many so-called bad ones vs good ones you receive if you're going to see how you faired with random events for a game... not all are the same. You should factor in the amount of impact each event had on your game instead. Quality not quantity.

You may get 3 little annoyance events but then 1 big event that grants all your units a certain promotion or that gives all your buildings a certain bonus.

Also, now it seems that it is much more wise to have a decent amount of cash on hand at all times for a little "insurance" against certain random events.

Second thing is: it doesn't only matter how many so-called bad ones vs good ones you receive if you're going to see how you faired with random events for a game... not all are the same. You should factor in the amount of impact each event had on your game instead. Quality not quantity.

You may get 3 little annoyance events but then 1 big event that grants all your units a certain promotion or that gives all your buildings a certain bonus.

Also, now it seems that it is much more wise to have a decent amount of cash on hand at all times for a little "insurance" against certain random events.

Agreed. Even though I'm pretty sure I've probably had 3 bad REs to every 1 good RE, almost all the bad REs are niggly and small. Whereas 1 out of every dozen or so good RES are really good, i.e. A Free GP, a quest, all troops of one kind upgraded. So therefore, the balance is still generally good. Now if majorly bad RES existed, for instance say a settled GP just disappeared, or all your barracks built units lost a promotion, then you really WOULD hear complaints.........

I had in my quick game so far, by 300AD, FOUR improvements lost to random events. I only had 2-3 cities, and one mine got hit twice. Also, a faux pas ambassador that lost me a point with a civ I was trying to ally with. I did get culture boost and Flanking I for my mounted units, but I think so far the balance has been tipped to "Bad."

The events seem balanced to me. Besides, even if there were more bad than good events... as long as all players get the same ratio it doesn't matter.

The events aren't completely random, they're influenced by certain things. For example, if you found a city near city ruins you can get an event related to them, but not otherwise. Just a clarification.

Even if they were totally random, that deosnt mean that bad REs cant come up more than good REs, whos to say the amount of REs is exactly divided in half?

For me it seems there are more bad than good. Out of the 15 or so REs Ive had, at least 5+ have been mine colapses, 5+ more have been slave revolts, a volcano exploded destroying a few tiles around my city, +1:commerce: on a forest, +1:commerce: on a coastal, 1 found relic (partial tech)... and thats about it. Ive had no quests yet.

~3:1 ratio bad to good

(I realize that slave revolts happen more often if you use the whip, so thats prolly my own doing)

Seems about 50/50 to me. The only thing that bothers me is that one of my mines got hit something like 5 times with that cave-in event. Stupid mine.

The events aren't completely random, they're influenced by certain things. For example, if you found a city near city ruins you can get an event related to them, but not otherwise. Just a clarification.

City ruins? You mean after a city has been destroyed? Like if I take a city from another civ then instead of keeping it I destory it, right?

I have never seen any "Ruins persay on any maps I have had at any level of play so far...

Seems about 50/50 to me. The only thing that bothers me is that one of my mines got hit something like 5 times with that cave-in event. Stupid mine.

I wonder how the ratio of this one in particular has been set in the files? Anyone know?

The events seem balanced to me. Besides, even if there were more bad than good events... as long as all players get the same ratio it doesn't matter.

How would you know if the other civs are getting the same balanced amount of Bad to Good? Is there a notification on popup or something in the text that pops up telling other events for your civ?

I agree with the cash idea as I have gotten cought off guard to many times with all the nagative events in my games so far and had no choices at all but the worst (when there was a choice to start with).

I wonder if this in itself is part of the deciding factor in how many bad events you receive per game, whether you have the cash on hand or not.

I had in my quick game so far, by 300AD, FOUR improvements lost to random events. I only had 2-3 cities, and one mine got hit twice. Also, a faux pas ambassador that lost me a point with a civ I was trying to ally with. I did get culture boost and Flanking I for my mounted units, but I think so far the balance has been tipped to "Bad."

This is more like what has been happening to me in every game so far on the 3 levels I play on. I have all but 1 bad event until later game time frames then I get something really cool or just ok.

So it might not be something which is going wrong with my settings file or just a bad install or something untangible to me that is causing this phenomenon to occur if more than one person is having soemwhat similar occurances.

Sorry about the multiple post here but I have not figured out how to add one segment for each question to one reply yet.

I see other doing it, so if someone has some instructions here that would be great.

Thanks for the replies too.

I tend to get lots of niggly annoying events which require you to use up gold to rectify, but overall i think the balance is good.

Top Bottom