What % of bad/good Random Events are you getting?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Game_Mieser, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Game_Mieser

Game_Mieser Chieftain

Thanks "Fort Worth I Think"! That makes it easier to say lots of stuff...

in

a

smaller

space

...:lol:

2. Lurking Liu

Lurking Liu Prince

I tend to get more bad events than good ones, but the average good one makes up for a dozen bad ones.

For instance, Bandits and Road Washouts. Does anyone care about these? Even on Marathon, it takes at most 6 turns to fix a road, and if you're playing Marathon then you've got tooons of time to build redundant roads just in case; so unless it hits a Resource tile, whatever. Or Bandits. You can either spend money and lose a little food from your stockpile, or you can lose a little food from your stockpile. Pfft. Whatever.

On the other hand, have you seen the good events? Truffles is +1 Food and Commerce on a tile. I'll gladly have a dozen roads wash out for that... Or for a Quest. Or for +2 Gold from my freaking City Walls for the rest of the game.

About the worst bad random event is clunker coal... Nothing worse than seeing your beautiful Plains/Hills/Railroad coal mine lose a hammer =(

3. Mischief

Mischief Warlady

The numbers of good and bad seem balanced for me, but so far the negative I´ve gotten were never exactly game breaking (example:"so what if my mine is destroyed, I´ll have it rebuilt in 2 turns") and some of the positive events have been really helpful.
    My favorite: the swordsman quest: Free Drill 1 to all present and future melee units while playing as Rome and being in the process of whipping a praetorian army.
    Result: 3 dead AI before AD. :whipped:

I :love: random events

4. Game_Mieser

Game_Mieser Chieftain

See if I had been gievn something like that I too would have been happier about the RE's in BTS but, I have been given pretty much bad stuff and it just gets in the way of my being able to do something at the very moment the event occurs.

Something to note, I do not run very many workers, in all maybe only 7 -10 total by games end. This means they do not have time to be replacing a stupid mine or anything else for even 2 turns as this can stop me from getting a another city developed as quickly dur to the fact they have to travel clear back to the city where this RE happens and then fix the problem, or I have to spend more time building another one in that city and then fix the mine etc. It is not Game loosing to have this happen but it has upon occasion made my game sem more like "why does this keep happening to me".
    and this does not make the game more life like or even more fun it just makes things more difficult at times.

That being said there are supposed to be alot of these RE's for the AI to choose from and if that's the case maybe I will stop receiveing the stupid parrots, or the deer RE's which I seem to get in just about evry game as my good stuff (they do nothing for me that I need at the moment they are given).

I guess I can trudge along since I do like the "idea" of RE's, I standardize and randomize things as much as possible now so the game does not seem so "planned out", and as in reality you never know what will come up, (also, in reality I am not bad when it comes to being lucky, so this seems outthere for me to have this much bad luck)!

5. Game_Mieser

Game_Mieser Chieftain

I have not seen anything that good, about the best I am getting is the one with deer or parrots RE.

6. snipafist

snipafist Prince

So run more workers! "Jee, my couch is catching on fire. Maybe I should get some extra buckets of water? Nah, I only run two buckets." :lol:

7. LunaticSlave

LunaticSlave Sieg Zeon!

I would say 60% are annoying for me, but again none game breaking at all. However i would have liked they added an option like the "raging barbs" one to the events so you would get em a bit more often, its been a while since i rarely get any :mad: last marathon game i had from 4000bc to about the low1900s i had like 5 events most were mines collapsing, forests burned and damn tornadoes, bleh :crazyeye:

8. Grimus

Grimus I

Haha... me too! I learned my lesson eventually and always keep some extra cash now... it definitely helps make a lot of events less severe, OR makes some events even GREATER.

Another thing I'm starting to realize is that you should have A LOT of extra gold if you plan on finishing a quest. Because there is usually a "super" benefit you can choose as an option if you have the money. Can anybody verify this? I've only received maybe 3 quests so far playing.

9. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Guys there are LOTS of good events, my commisorations if you haven't had a really good one yet, but when it comes along , I guarantee you'll be grinning widely :D

There are various threads on here mentioning them, Ori has listed just about all of them if you don't mind spoilers. I do and haven't looked yet, I like the surprises :)

EDIT: @Grimus:- I've had several quests I completed, and I think only one demanded cash. Its mostly the decent random events that need a wedge of cash, because you often really have to work for the quests...e.g. Build 11 stables when you have 2 cities :lol:, well at least you get a long time to accomplish that one.

10. Game_Mieser

Game_Mieser Chieftain

Running more workers does not work...

Then you have extra workers for nothing and have to delete them later.

So whats the point of making something which is just a waste?

Like the book and game tell you don't make 50 if 15 will do...

11. weimingshi

weimingshi Prince

When ever a random event happens to the civs you already met, a msg appears, so you know who got hit with what. So far my experience is AI get lots of bad events also. Some games you can be more lucky, others less. my first game, i got 3 quest before i even reached industrialism, the trireme quest first, gave my harbors +2 gold. Forge quest gave my capital a free settled great engineer which adds +3 engineer GP POINT!!!!!!!!! and later on harbor+caravel quest which gave all my existing and future naval units free combat I promotion. Then after I got electricity, i got happy electric company RE, +1 happiness in all cities.

Some good events have conditions though, like happy electric company one, you can't have unhappy citizen in any of your cities and you need at least 1 city with electricity.

12. Bushface

Bushface Deity

In my current game, by 940AD I've had two moderately good events (the Songwriter and Running Bulls), no others, and no quests. One opponent got Larger Shields and another Better Axes (both too remote to bother me) but there have been lots of bad events scattered among the AI civs - three Vermin, three Mining Accidents (all to Tokugawa, poor soul) and various minor others.
    Re "happy electric co." - this I presume requires no Angry citizens, not no unhappy ones which is a condition only possible with the Globe Theatre. There are conditions for every event, good or bad.

13. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I don't know if the settings affect the events or not.

I haven't noticed a difference between dificulty levels.
    I keep cash around, so I don't stress over bad luck .
    I have lots of cities, so a pair of tiles lost to a volcano is just a temporary setback. Compared to losing population in a city without a temple in CIV I,
    it's not bad.

A free shock promotion to all present and future axemen with the discovery of balanced ax handles makes me smile the rest of the game. So what if we get nowhere with mine safety ? Or if tornadoes attack as if my countryside were covered in housetrailers instead of hamlets? Or bandits are bothering my farmers near the capital again?

There was a good dear harvest this year. There are truffles in my mountains .And those disasters seem to inspire
    folk songs.

In short, the good and bad balance out, and the occaisional unexpected great events tip the scale positively.

14. kamigawan

kamigawan Warlord

OK, one RE that I'm trying to figure out is the slave revolt; for some reason, it happened ALOT the greater score lead I had over opponents (about once every 10-20 turns) but only occasionally the closer together the scores are (this may only be a coincidence). It seems to only ever happen in the capital, which makes it one of the deadliest REs - equivalent to anarchy almost. I find that "doing nothing" almost never resolves the revolt so you end up losing at least one population. However, if you switch out of slavery civic (e.g. to caste or emancipation), this event never occurs making slavery a lot less attractive unless you turn off REs. The other thing that seems to have NO effect is number of military stationed in the city. Perhaps courthouse affects it (I never build courthouse in the capital). Anybody know?

15. Game_Mieser

Game_Mieser Chieftain

My slave revolt last night was a good one I ended up with a settler to pickup because I happen to be at war with the civ during the revolt and he showed up right next to a city I just conquered:D . Only difference was I was playing on Noble instead of Warlord level. Maybe my luck will be changing today also as I plan on a higher level just for giggles.:lol:

16. mnf

mnf King

I know that every game I start I get my library destroyed at least once. Hurricanes hate libraries. One even took my forge as well. :sad:

Okay, I know that's just because there's nothing else to destroy that early in game. :p

In general, I think the effects are fifty-fifty. I get my buildings destroyed every game, but I've also had tin found in my capital's mine. Truffles pop up often, I see it a lot.

17. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider King

I've had more bad random events than good. But the bad ones I just had to pay a small amount of cash to fix, and the good ones either gave me a pile of cash or something unique I couldn't get otherwise. So overall, the RE effects have been good.

18. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

All the random events in a game will show up in the playback at the end of the game, so you can check. They seem well balanced between the civilizations.

The barbarian horde random event can kill you if you haven't found copper or iron in time, or haven't had a chance to get a lot of defensive units in place. Of course, it's pleasant if you have Great Wall.

19. dutchking

dutchking Deity

I get about 50/50 bad/good. It varies from game to game.

20. TheJopa

TheJopa Šumar

In my last game I got forge on fire, few mine collapses, few tornadoes and road washouts, then one about dustbowl on my plain (I had to pay for it to stop)... Anyway I'd say 3:1 bad to good ratio.
    But their effects don't even begin to compare with good events. I got an artist making statues of ice in my north-est, tundra city, and could choose either 500(?) culture or pay gold and get a Great Artist settled in city. I did later and it helped me immensely since city was in tundra and I built it only to keep borders of my neighbor away. Artist was what I really needed. Then I fot artist in my capitol bursting culture (And if I had Radio tech I could give him contract for even better benefit...) Then I got resource pooping out, two peace events, partisans healing my unit...