What religion for Spain?

angkor t. wat

Chieftain
Playing on Prince, continents, standard game rate. I cheated a little bit and doubled the NW rate. Found Mt. Kalash ~ 6 tiles from capital. I bought a settler with the 500g bonus as soon as I got to pop2 and settled next to it. I chose +faith from NWs for my pantheon and now I have a 20 faith tile so I should be founding the first religion by a mile.

What beliefs? I should be earning massive faith throughout the game. I was thinking pagotas and holy warriors so I have something useful to spend it on pre-industrialization. I don't think I want piety so littering my capital with holysites is not particularly attractive.

Playing on Prince, continents, standard game rate. I cheated a little bit and doubled the NW rate. Found Mt. Kalash ~ 6 tiles from capital. I bought a settler with the 500g bonus as soon as I got to pop2 and settled next to it. I chose +faith from NWs for my pantheon and now I have a 20 faith tile so I should be founding the first religion by a mile.

What beliefs? I should be earning massive faith throughout the game. I was thinking pagotas and holy warriors so I have something useful to spend it on pre-industrialization. I don't think I want piety so littering my capital with holysites is not particularly attractive.

How did you double the wonder rate? I've always wanted to do that.
And I'd agree pagodas and holy warriors are your best options.

No disagreement here. If you did take a second religious building follower belief, like cathedrals, you would still probably auto-generate a bunch of Great Prophets before you got to Industrial.

Another way to modulate the amount of faith you generate is to work Mt. Kailesh selectively. You don't get any food from that tile, so working that tile will slow growth in that city. Consider working that tile through founding, your first missionary (to start your spread) and enhancement (at 20 fpt, that would be a bit more than 25 turns in total), but then cut back on working that tile to grow the city's population.

I used info from this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=469115

Spoiler :
Contents > Home > assets > DLC > Expansion > Gameplay > AssignStatingPlots.lua

In this document you find this block of text and can edit the values.

-- Determine how many NWs to attempt to place. Target is regulated per map size.
-- The final number cannot exceed the number the map has locations to support.
local worldsizes = {
[GameInfo.Worlds.WORLDSIZE_DUEL.ID] = 2,
[GameInfo.Worlds.WORLDSIZE_TINY.ID] = 3,
[GameInfo.Worlds.WORLDSIZE_SMALL.ID] = 4,
[GameInfo.Worlds.WORLDSIZE_STANDARD.ID] = 5,
[GameInfo.Worlds.WORLDSIZE_LARGE.ID] = 6,
[GameInfo.Worlds.WORLDSIZE_HUGE.ID] = 7
}
local target_number = worldsizes[Map.GetWorldSize()];
local iNumNWtoPlace = math.min(target_number, iNumNWCandidates);

These are max values. For standard maps I made it fifteen but the algorithm was only able to place 11. Still not bad.

I'd pick Pagodas & Mosques (Cathedrals) and possibly cheap prophets/missionaries. One way to manage Mt. Kailash is to set your city to faith focus before new new citizen is born, while not effectively working Mountain. (work food or hammers instead). That way at the beginning of next turn new citizen will jump in it and will give you +20 faith. 5 new citizines will therefore provide you with 100 points of free faith.

Another way to modulate the amount of faith you generate is to work Mt. Kailesh selectively... to grow the city's population.

Good point. Now that I've got my pantheon I might let Barcelona get to pop2 or 3 before founding my religion.

Yeah I never get why Spain (or Siam for that matter) isn't included with Ethiopia, Celts, Byzantium and Mayans as a religious civ. Can be a religious beast. With a super early faith powerhouse, I'd crush religious spread and take tithe for whatever vc you want (or world church but I imagine you went libery and wide with Spain so don't want a cultural vc). Get GMoD, do a missionary or two, then enhance with religious texts or itinerant preachers. Spam missionaries till as late as possible, that way your GP's will still be fairly cheap when your missionaries no longer work. For followers, pagodas (or maybe mosques), but you still want to outspam missionaries so don't take double up on faith buying beliefs. As you're gonna be really wide and spread out as Spain, a per city hapiness one would be good, and as relgion should be a heavy part of the game +2 per temple and 5 citizens should be fine.

Edit: For a super early spread advantage work kailash immediately and buy a granary when you can.

All true, if Spain can settle a city near a NW. If it's a religious NW, the game is on, as you describe well. If it's a non-religious NW, then Spain still needs to scrape together a pantheon, and One with Nature still needs to be available. If that doesn't work, they are no better than any other "normal/non-religious" civ.

All true, if Spain can settle a city near a NW. If it's a religious NW, the game is on, as you describe well. If it's a non-religious NW, then Spain still needs to scrape together a pantheon, and One with Nature still needs to be available. If that doesn't work, they are no better than any other "normal/non-religious" civ.

Ah, the craps shoot that is Spain :). All i know is if I need a religion I'd rather pick Spain at the start of a game than any other not mentioned civ (except maybe Arabia (ICS+DF)). To increase the chance of one with nature I like starting Spain with scout scout shrine.

I don't think I've seen a AI civ take one with nature, ever.

Thanks for the response I ended up doubling down on the buildings with pagotas and cathedrals and chose reduced cost missionaries and inquisitors. I'm up to about 70 faith per turn and still haven't built shrines or temples in most cities. I've managed to spend my faith as I get it and have yet to spawn my 3rd Great prophet. As soon as I get near the industrial era I'll start saving up & building shrines and temples and just go to town buying great scientists.

I don't think I've seen a AI civ take one with nature, ever.

No. They seem to like god of war/protection and the resource/improvement bonuses. Occasionally dance of the aurora or the desert one. Also I think I once saw Babylon or Korea take messenger of the Gods.

I pick Tithe and later enhance with Religious Texts or Itinerant Preachers.

With early missionary spread and mid game enhanced passive spread, you religion will dominate all of the world and will give you plenty of money.

For follower beliefs I pick Pagoda and Cathedral if I have too much faith, or other I see fits in the situation.

Holy warriors are good too, if you are aiming domination VC.

No. They seem to like god of war/protection and the resource/improvement bonuses. Occasionally dance of the aurora or the desert one. Also I think I once saw Babylon or Korea take messenger of the Gods.
In addition to what you've mentioned, I've seen a good amount of:

Fertility Rites (popular)
Sacred Path (common)
Religious Settlements! (common!)

Faith Healers (occasional)

Goddess of Love (rare)
Monument to the Gods (rare)

I can't recall seeing:

Ancestor Worship
God of Craftsmen
One with Nature (maybe once?)
Sacred Waters

being picked much though. That's just from my experience however.

I recently played a game as Spain (Emperor, Large Terra, Epic speed) where I went for a diplomatic victory from the start. My plan was to stay small, beeline Astronomy, and settle the New World first.

In that game, I took:

One with Nature (my second city had both tiles of Great Barrier Reef in working range, so this was a no-brainer)

Pilgrimage: by endgame this netted me between 30-40 faith per turn, and could have been much more if I'd been willing to sacrifice diplomacy to send out more missionaries.

Ascetism (+1 happiness from shrines in each city), because I wanted to REX when I hit the New World

Feed the World, because I was a bit late to enhance and the one I really wanted (purchase military units with faith) was already taken. The food bonus did help my colonies grow quickly though.

Religious Texts: faster faith spread works incredibly well with Pilgrimage.

By the end of the game, I had accumulated enough faith points to buy three Great Scientists and finish Globalization in one turn (I was in a hurry because others had started building spaceships). I then bought a Great Engineer to finish UN in one turn, and still had enough faith left over for an extra Great Merchant.

One with Nature is awesome with Spain - it has double the effect. It goes very well with Holy Warriors, as you can just get loads of faith and just buy Conquistadors and Tercios with it later on. You can't buy Settlers with faith, but nothing's stopping you from spamming Conquistadors and saving the cash for city-states or buying buildings.

I absolutely wiped the floor with Genghis Khan with this method, though to be fair, it was a Prince-difficulty duel map.

Top Bottom