What should happen to the suzerain abilities of a CS if it becomes a CIV?

If Carthage becomes a full civilization in the future, what should happen to the current CS ability?

• The Carthage Civ should get the ability (encampment trade routes), and the CS should be no more

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Carthage Civ should have different abilities, and that CS should essentially get a new name

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • Some other solution

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Everyone on the secret panel already knows Carthage will have the ability to make any UU, albeit at +1 gold for maintenance.

:lol::lol::lol: :shifty:

I like the unique bonuses for each city state, and a good deal of work has gone into designing the symbols (just see the symbology thread!) and abilities to be thematic.

Therefore I think it would be best if there was some solution whereby the game checks first to see if, say, the Carthaginian or Korean Empires are civs in the game, and if they are, then to remove Carthage and Seoul from the potential pool of city states. Otherwise, if those civs are not in that particular game, the city states can appear as before.

As the pool of civs increases from which the game can draw; they could also then add CS into the game from the other existing Civs. i.e. if Japan isn't in the game, then Hirado or Nagasaki could appear as a City State.
I know it's a nice way to represent countries that won't be in the game as a Civ, but both can be done....

Last edited:
It would also be a missed opportunity not to give them a cothon as a unique harbour district, perhaps acting like an encampment in terms of defensive bombardments.

All in all, I think the Carthage CS ability is better as a CS ability. A Carthaginian Civ should have trade and military bonuses, but there are more interesting ways of doing that than this.

Wooo... bombarding and walled harbor... pleasepleaseplease

Of course this walled harbour won't mean much on non island plate maps until the navy becomes a bigger part of the game.

Simple things like:
Embarked units (other than scouts) being easy kill in the sea.
Circumnavigation giving the +1 movement bonus rather than a wonder.
Being able to blockade any sea trade routes into a city even without being at war.
Sea units providing support and flanking to land units (but not vise versa) be they in the sea or on land.

Until this (and some other things are done) why dream of a bombarding walled harbour?

Of course this walled harbour won't mean much on non island plate maps until the navy becomes a bigger part of the game.

Simple things like:
Embarked units (other than scouts) being easy kill in the sea.
Circumnavigation giving the +1 movement bonus rather than a wonder.
Being able to blockade any sea trade routes into a city even without being at war.
Sea units providing support and flanking to land units (but not vise versa) be they in the sea or on land.

Until this (and some other things are done) why dream of a bombarding walled harbour?
I imagined that a fortified harbor would be capable of a ranged attack, same as the encampment. Then such a city would have 3(!) points from which to fire upon attackers.

It's never too early to dream :).

In any case these improvements would need to be made before any Carthaginian Civ was added to the game for them to truly shine as the naval power they were. I hope Firaxis is listening :p

Top Bottom