• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What was the first video game you ever played?

My first computer game was Kingdom, which ran on my school's Interdata 7/16, a huge box that sat in the corner and communicated by teletype. You gave it a seed number for the RNG and then made choices about how much grain to store and that sort of thing. Then in a couple of turns, it told you that you had starved or frozen or been overrun by enemies.
You have just reminded me, my Granny had that on the BBC micro when I was little, and that was the first game I ever played. I loved it, it gave a similar feeling of satisfaction to Civ that I have never given up.

Mine’s?

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt on NES.

Atari 2600.

Not sure the exact game.

Same for me, I think (we had an Atari, but I don't remember which one). My older brother then got an NES, and I played Mario so much that I could beat it before I turned 6. I even brute forced through 1st quest in Zelda, despite that at 5 years old I wasn't exactly capable of reading full sentences and using that to inform what I should do next. No such luck with 2nd quest, not until I was older.

Reactions: HEF
Amstrad lol. They never caught on to much but always got mentioned in British magazines which we had.

Amstrad was a garbage computer.
Thankfully I only had it for a year, and then got an Amiga500.

Early to mid 80's had all sorts of random crap trickling into the early 90's.

From 87 or so onwards it was Commodore 64/500 and IBMs. For the most part. Until Commodore died.

Winky Dink
and You! As I recall for a buck you could get a vinyl sheet to cover your TV screen and grease pencils to connect parts of the secret messages (or just draw) given during the show. It was my first experience playing games on a TV screen.

Link to video.

I cannot remember for sure, even what machine it was. It was definitely made by philips, I think it was Quest for the Rings on the Magnavox Odyssey 2.

Jet Set Willy is the first game I got really into.

Speaking of Amsoft and Roland in Time, Lord Sugar's trash company even used a variation of Dr. Who for the "game"'s soundtrack. Not sure if they bothered to pay royalties.

By the way, the person playing in this video must be the worst player ever.

Last edited:
I really can't recall, but Civ 1 was the last of the firsts. I could not believe there was a game that "does everything" and it was exactly that.

a Wang computer

Heh heh...

Donkey Kong on the handheld clam shell. Elite, Jet Set Willy et al on the Spectrum. That darts game on the school RM Nimbus. Pong on a mates TV in junior school. Honestly no idea which was first.

Man, Elite was just so next level. In a class of it's own. Three kids playing it - a pilot with the joystick, a EWO with the keyboard and a captain working on the big picture - and everyone happy.

Civ 1 on the first computer I ever bought. Cost me almost the whole of my first years student loan. Almost cost me my degree.

(...)
Donkey Kong on the handheld clam shell. .

I still have a few of those - impossible to interest 21st century kids in that though...

They can't believe we were so "limited" in our gameplaying -

I'm sure if you gave them an 1980s Outrun machine with all pneumatics included - they would still be delighted, just like we were :lol:

First arcade game-if it wasn't one at a birthday party at showbiz Pizza (now Chuck e cheeze), it was at the local gas station. Pac man, Galaga, asteroids, a 3-d tank game (tanks were just wire frames), were ones I remember.

Video game consoles- colecovision (Mr. Do, was one I remember), friend later got a used odyssey, which may have been older than the colecovision.
Then I got an atari 2600, then later Nintendo.

First computer game was either Oregon trail or Where in the world is Carmen Santiago, at school (never had computer at home until I moved out as adult).

Reactions: HEF
I still have a few of those - impossible to interest 21st century kids in that though...

They can't believe we were so "limited" in our gameplaying -

I'm sure if you gave them an 1980s Outrun machine with all pneumatics included - they would still be delighted, just like we were :lol:

Mate of mine had the most beautiful blond GF. Flew into LA on holiday and his reserved hire car wasn't there. "Sir, the next car in is yours, whatever it is." Dude burning across the desert in a fireapple red convertible with the roof down and his arm round a beautiful blonde. Every 70's-child friend screaming "Outrun". And "you lucky, lucky bastar..."

I think I had that too, but definitely had the classic version.

Here's Caveman:

upload_2021-11-19_21-31-54.png

It featured a few different levels.

Top Bottom