What we can learn from New Vegas and Civ V?

Is Nintendo god?

• Yes, he is a merciful one too, repent sinners!

Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Kinda, they do make good/ the best games

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • They are just as good as some other componies

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • No, I'm a casual so I only play non-Nintendo games

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • No, I think playing bland, colourless shooters is fun

Votes: 36 31.0%

• Total voters
I am one of those pc gamers that loves FPS, and as well as the mindless Arcade FPS Modern Warfare 2. So I don't feel upset that ciV is in its state as it is, since I will be escaping yet into another mindless upcoming FPS called Black Ops for awhile till at least a good game may come out. I hope Bioware delivers next year with their upcoming Dragon Age 2.

Seems to me that is what the trend is all about in gaming. Tiredless continuation of sequels after sequels of well known titles till the point where some people get tired of it, and move onto new titles, which inevitably will repeat the same business scheme of producing more sequels after sequels.

Nintendo games are largely over-rated. Doesn't mean they're bad (many aren't and are fun), but really, Ocarina of Time was a snooze fest, I got bored long before I stopped playing after an hour and a half.

I play many different strategy games, FPS games, RPGs, and a few RTS games (NOT in the Starcraft/Age of Empire/Company of Heroes clickfest annoying style). And Guild Wars, the one mmorpg. They are all awesome.

I think it's mostly skill not strategy that ensure success in those games.

I can't wait till Diablo 3 comes out with just the Barbarian class and new classes available every 3 months at $14.99 each

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. When has blizz done anything similar to this, in SC2 or WoW?

I hate people that post :):):):) like this. It's on the same level as getting all your information from Fox news. Blizzard has never released a bad game. You're just bad at it. Probably why all the sub-diamond players suck.

Moderator Action: Swearing is not allowed on these forums, thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I dont know about everyone else, but they complete butchered the fallout franchise with the new incarnations. It's rubbish is what it is, totaly and completely bull. Much worse then civ5.

It is becoming increasingly clear that even for blockbuster games like Civ V and Fallout: New Vegas that developers will release unfinished products to the masses and care little about how well it works.

There is only one solution to this problem that is to stop buying games from poor designers like "Firaxis," "Valve," or whoever makes Fallout (probably Firaxis...) and instead buy games from the one company who cares for you on a personal level, and has consistently provided you with an armory of classic games.

I am of course talking about the great and wonderful Nintendo, the old, old one, he who created the world and who's prophets died for our sins (Mario). Put down your false idols and rejoice in the splendor of the merciful LORD, he who created all forms of game genre.

Of course, it's capitalist regimes like 2k that ruin perfectly good game franchises like Civilization by streamlining them and choosing middle-school brats as a target audience.

I dont know about everyone else, but they complete butchered the fallout franchise with the new incarnations. It's rubbish is what it is, totaly and completely bull. Much worse then civ5.

the new fallout games aren't bad- they are a little action-y but it is still a rpg. Like the bomb in Megaton quest. You have 2 ways you can go about it. You can disarm it, or you can blow it up. But that's only half of it. You can start to blow it up, but change your mind, turn the guy in, kill him etc. Or you can kill the sheriff and the whole town. There are many things you can do.

They do suffer from balance problems (as does civ5), in that it gets a little boring once you get too powerful. In New Vegas you can play in hardcore mode where you have to eat and drink. Not even Fallout 2 had that.

we can learn that they are the two best games on the market

we can learn that some people complain when people make games for them to play

the evidence is clear- Duet of Perfection in the Land of the Mad

the new fallout games aren't bad- they are a little action-y but it is still a rpg. Like the bomb in Megaton quest. You have 2 ways you can go about it. You can disarm it, or you can blow it up. But that's only half of it. You can start to blow it up, but change your mind, turn the guy in, kill him etc. Or you can kill the sheriff and the whole town. There are many things you can do.

Yeah, that's kinda not how I would define an RPG, having two ways to solve a quest does not an RPG make....... Turning a brilliant turn based strategy RPG into a assembly line FPS is kinda like whoring out your franchise in my book. On top of that, it was the leadning brand in the niche gaming market, which goes to show that some money grubbin bastard had more say then the actual devs did. Kinda sorta like some other game we all know and love.

Trying to make a popular niche gaming franchise into a mainstream product seems to becoming more and more common these days.

Where is the "No, I don't like Nintendo" (Who says non-nintendo games are casual?)

Turning a brilliant turn based strategy RPG into a assembly line FPS is kinda like whoring out your franchise in my book.

Wow, you've obviously never played the new Fallouts. Or if you did, you really didn't spend any quality time in the game. First person, yes. First Person Shooter, not even close.

Turning a brilliant turn based strategy RPG into a assembly line FPS is kinda like whoring out your franchise in my book.

Sorry, but Fallout 3 is one of the best, most immersive gaming experiences of my life. There's no way you would be able to make this statement if you had spent any amount of time with the game...

Sorry, but Fallout 3 is one of the best, most immersive gaming experiences of my life. There's no way you would be able to make this statement if you had spent any amount of time with the game...

I dunno, would you rate yourself as ... impressionable? Which RPGs did you play before Fallout 3?

Fallout 3 has its moments, and I guess it could be quite immersive for someone who never played a sandbox RPG in a detailed world, but compared to the storytelling of other RPGs (Fallout 1, Planescape:Torment, Morrowind, Vampire Bloodlines), Fallout 3 is so generic, so boringly black-and-white ... it's not a bad game imho, just run-of-the-mill stuff, and I understand why it disappointed many fans of its predecessors. The main quest was so boring that at some kind I just couldn't play anymore and shelved it. Compare that to other games like Planescape, which had me continuously marveling about its mysteries for two weeks straight.

Ok come on. Going to a Civ forum (ie the last great bastion of turn based play) and trumping up the destruction of one of the greatest turn based games of all time?

Obvious troll is obvious.
Moderator Action: Such accusations are not allowed in this forum and are worth an infraction.

Ok come on. Going to a Civ forum (ie the last great bastion of turn based play) and trumping up the destruction of one of the greatest turn based games of all time?

I guess you haven't bothered to read the forum title or the contents of the thread to see what the discussion is actually about.

Sorry, I don't care how great 1 & 2 were, Fallout 3 is an incredible experience. I played 2, and it was fun for what it was, but in no way did it envelope me in it's universe as strongly as 3. Reading your comments about the short main quest makes me wonder if you spent much time playing. I spent more than 200 hours exploring the capital wasteland, and the main quest was maybe 10% of that. I've never seen a game with so much content, and such freedom of exploration.

I dunno, would you rate yourself as ... impressionable? Which RPGs did you play before Fallout 3?

Fallout 3 has its moments, and I guess it could be quite immersive for someone who never played a sandbox RPG in a detailed world, but compared to the storytelling of other RPGs (Fallout 1, Planescape:Torment, Morrowind, Vampire Bloodlines), Fallout 3 is so generic, so boringly black-and-white ... it's not a bad game imho, just run-of-the-mill stuff, and I understand why it disappointed many fans of its predecessors. The main quest was so boring that at some kind I just couldn't play anymore and shelved it. Compare that to other games like Planescape, which had me continuously marveling about its mysteries for two weeks straight.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Top Bottom