What we can learn from New Vegas and Civ V?

Is Nintendo god?

• Yes, he is a merciful one too, repent sinners!

Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Kinda, they do make good/ the best games

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • They are just as good as some other componies

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • No, I'm a casual so I only play non-Nintendo games

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • No, I think playing bland, colourless shooters is fun

Votes: 36 31.0%

• Total voters
New Vegas is a bad example because there wasn't much wrong with the PC version, and what issues there were have been quickly patched. I'm so sick of this band-wagon mentality when it comes to bashing new releases. Why not figure out what you're talking about before posting random crap on forums.

New Vegas is a bad example because there wasn't much wrong with the PC version, and what issues there were have been quickly patched. I'm so sick of this band-wagon mentality when it comes to bashing new releases. Why not figure out what you're talking about before posting random crap on forums.

You didn't get the memo. Ignorance is the new provocative.

I just started FNV this morning. It seems pretty damn immersive as far as I can tell. I'll know more tonight and tomorrow. I can't address the bug issues that some people are talking about, but strangely enough, I *rarely* have any bug issues with any game.

You haven't been playing much or you're blind if you haven't noticed the amount of bugs in the game. Map problems too. I've run into several spots in the Mojave where your character can get trapped in a rock by just sneaking around.

Besides the bugs there are also some minor design problems such as not being able to steal from the Legion (who I'm at war with) without suffering a Karma penalty. :confused:

The interface is also far too clunky and annoying to navigate. Examples: The new companion radial menu could use 'e' as a hotkey to immediately close it without me needing to move the mouse over the center. The hardcore status (Food, H20, Sleep) displays should have been combined into a single screen so that I did not have to check each of them separately.

Really a lot of the problems are carry overs from Fallout 3 and should have been fixed. One particularly annoying bug is the one that favors the other kind of bug in VATS. Sometimes when shooting at ant/mantis-type enemies every one of your shots (despite having 95%) will go right through the target and miss. This is incredibly annoying when you've loaded up a bunch of shots and due to this pest you're forced to waste both AP and Ammo as your character attempts to shoot a ghost.

And despite its problems FO:NV manages to be an incredibly entertaining and immersive game. I've enjoyed most of the new direction when it comes to Factions, Combat, and other gameplay elements. I did NOT get this enjoyable yet annoying feeling when playing Civ 5. For the latest Civ it feels as if something important to the core experience is missing.

there is only one solution to this problem that is to stop buying games from poor designers like "firaxis," "valve," or whoever makes fallout (probably firaxis...) and instead buy games from the one company who cares for you on a personal level, and has consistently provided you with an armory of classic games.

there is only one solution to this problem that is to stop buying games from poor designers like "firaxis," "valve," or whoever makes fallout (probably firaxis...)

or whoever makes fallout (probably firaxis...)

Saying Firaxis makes Fallout

Attachments

• That_Makes_Me_Angry.jpg
    That_Makes_Me_Angry.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 50
So, so unbelievably sick of the whining and crying.

... whenever any game is released on every possible message board. Seriously... QQing about Fallout New Vegas on a CivFanatics general board?

I think some people should pick up a hobby that doesn't involve computers or games.

Lol @ Valve making poor quality games.

Blizzard is probably the only PC developer who puts out higher quality products, and even then it's close.

Blizzard, the company known for "It'll be ready when it is ready" is not even the same anymore. We have SC2 that is split into a trilogy simply because they KNOW they can sell expansions. They removed content that all players know will be brought back to help sell expansions. They are missing key features from their interface. Some may be patched in but others will probably come with expansions or in microtransactions.

The problem is us PC gamers got used to being a niche. Now that things are going more mainstream we are dealing with publicly traded companies that are making decisions about games to increase numbers that look good for their investors. It is about making money, not about making games. Personally I don't mind a business that does good work succeeding. I just wish that if all they wanted was more money, that they'd simply raise their prices a little and give us the quality we want at release and now months or years (for some games) down the line. I'd rather pay $60-70 to help offset the cost of another 3-6 months of development so a game has far fewer of these obvious MAJOR issues. Heck I'd be fine with HUGE beta tests where we had to pay a small fee to help them deal with the costs of bandwidth and crunching numbers from tens of thousands of testers. I guess they make more money by simply releasing more so-so games and moving on to the next title.

Blizzard, the company known for "It'll be ready when it is ready" is not even the same anymore. We have SC2 that is split into a trilogy simply because they KNOW they can sell expansions. They removed content that all players know will be brought back to help sell expansions. They are missing key features from their interface. Some may be patched in but others will probably come with expansions or in microtransactions.

Out of curiosity, what features do you think they left out? Chat rooms, guild support, etc, are slated to be released in future patches, not expansions.

Civ V, issues ? Yea some, many that are, however, opinion based.

New Vegas issues ? Yea some..for some. But it's Fallout so who cares ? We'll fix it with Science!.
Seriously the problems with NV are/were minor and mostly gone with the initial patches on PC.

Valve made Portal, one of the greatest games of all time. They hold their own in the video game industry.

What I'm most disappointed with is the move towards paying for extra download-able content in the Civ series. I can understand and forgive bugs (no really, I can!) that have to be patched, but this kind of junk belongs in munchkin shooter games, not in what I saw as a deeper strategy game. Well, back to my Paradox titles. :)

It's Obsidian!If you do not expect bugs in their games then you are not so familiar with gaming.The game is a blast and i didn't stop playing for 2 days.

I don't see that much wrong with Fallout New Vegas. I'm not sure what the OP is going on about. The only things wrong with FNV is what the engine suffers from. The combat is repetitive and gets too easy as you go up in level. Fallout 3 suffered from this, and Oblivion, and Morrowind. I played the hell out of FNV the past two days, I had a lot of fun, but I find boredom kicking in. The only major bugs is the save bug ( I lost about 15 minutes of play with that one, luckily I use manual saves a lot- they give you 1000 slots, so may as well use them) and some stuttering when a lot of NPC's are present.

The problem with that game engine is it's too much like an action game (which I bore of within a couple hours) and not enough like a real rpg. But that's not Obsidian's fault, it's built on the same Fallout 3, Oblivion engine.

Not true, and frankly given that statement I sincerely doubt you know what you're talking about.

Now, the in decades bit might be the most wrong thing I've ever seen on this forum. The 90s say hi. I don't think anyone's going to argue that Nintendo didn't come out with 'anything new' in the 90s.
Can you go ahead and name some new things Nintendo came out with in the 90's?

Can you go ahead and name some new things Nintendo came out with in the 90's?

The SNES.

AKA the console that dominated the 16-bit era, and that's coming from a Sega mark. If you're going to try and argue that the console (and everything Nintendo released for it) wasn't new or innovative in any way, there really isn't point to this discussion.

Having bought both and darn near cried when the NV 360 patch crippled my game, this topic made me laugh out loud. Unfortunately, I'm legally blind and while I grew up with the Atari 800xl and the NES, Big N doesn't like blinks with it's motion controls and it's small handheld things.

WAAAAH! I'm a VG vagabond! Weep for me oh eye-having home-havers.

Yes, Nintendo tends to make solid games and not need to fix things after the fact (although without a way to patch things they can't afford not to do it right). Although when they do make a bad product they might take a decade or more to improve on it.

Motion control:
Power Glove 1989 - Wii Remote 2006

Exercise:
Power Pad 1988 - Balance Board 2007

3D
Virtual Boy 1995 - 3DS 2011

They tend to get a bit ahead of themselves.

The SNES.

AKA the console that dominated the 16-bit era, and that's coming from a Sega mark. If you're going to try and argue that the console (and everything Nintendo released for it) wasn't new or innovative in any way, there really isn't point to this discussion.
I'm not sure how the SNES was anything but a more powerful console that came out years after the Genesis. I wouldn't say there's anything particularly special about it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good console, but it's not some revolutionary and unique masterpiece that changed the way we game the way the PlayStation was. It was just a solid console. The most unique thing about it was that the controller had six buttons.

Top Bottom