What will get all you amazing Civ4 modders...

I am intrigued by some of the concepts of Civ V. Hexes, for instance, are interesting for me as a mapmaker. And it seems that the expansion and the patches have made the game somewhat better after a very sub-par release.

On the other hand, there are still too many broken elements in Civ V. There is still not enough depth - it still feels like Civilization dumbed down for the console generation. The game is not as modder friendly as IV. And I detest Steam.

For the foreseeable future, I think I'm staying with IV.

I've always found predictions like that risky, especially when they involve the future. ;) Seriously though, CiV has a far more robust engine than 4 did, and even though many of it's mechanics suck, they will hopefully eventually be fixed by modders with DLL access, and then the main complaints of the IV people (except for steam) will have been addressed.

Actually I agree with this. It's risky, that's why I said "the way I see things now"
Everythings depends on how far will the Civ V modding community push the game
Currently I don't see any real chance for fixing the core issues, but let's hope for the best

Actually I agree with this. It's risky, that's why I said "the way I see things now"
Everythings depends on how far will the Civ V modding community push the game
Currently I don't see any real chance for fixing the core issues, but let's hope for the best

Given the state of Civ5 modding so far, I'd say it's not so risky to assume they can't fix most of Civ5's huge issues. It's pretty sad checking out the "selection" of Civ5 mods so far, but understandable.

Given the state of Civ5 modding so far, I'd say it's not so risky to assume they can't fix most of Civ5's huge issues. It's pretty sad checking out the "selection" of Civ5 mods so far, but understandable.
I've the feeling that most of the actual civ5 players are happy with the game, they don't see "huge issues" and so won't ask for fix, they may even reject them.

Those who would be interested by those fixes are the civ4 players/modders, but
I understand there won't be enough motivation (hexes ? "nice" maps ? firetuner ? sql ?) for them to take the task...

The way I see it, civ5 modding is dependent of new modders, there are already a few, but the player base, while large, is possibly less interested in modding than the civ4 base was.

Still, I'm sure the modding potential of civ5 will be revealed, maybe not *soon*, but it will. And would have been sooner if the game itself wasn't released in such an unfinished state.

I am intrigued by some of the concepts of Civ V. Hexes, for instance, are interesting for me as a mapmaker. And it seems that the expansion and the patches have made the game somewhat better after a very sub-par release.

On the other hand, there are still too many broken elements in Civ V. There is still not enough depth - it still feels like Civilization dumbed down for the console generation. The game is not as modder friendly as IV. And I detest Steam.

For the foreseeable future, I think I'm staying with IV.

I thought maps could just be imported into V from IV?

I thought maps could just be imported into V from IV?

I think that is possible, yes. However, such an automated conversion from squares to hexes introduces many small inaccuracies. If I were to mod for Civ V, I would make a new hex-based Earth map from the grounds up. That way, I could make full use of the hex system when it comes to drawing coastlines, rivers etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatta Pake View Post
On another note: Are any of you afraid Civ4 modding will die with the release of Civ5 DLL?
No, there is no chance for that
Actually, the way I see things now, Civ IV modding will live much longer than Civ V modding
As mentioned there are still many active modders of Civ4, Civ3, and my own fave Civ4Col (which is possibly more obscure than Civ3 at this point :lol:) It's certainly much less active in large part due to Civ5, but people still seem to be downloading even my Col mod and enjoying it. As long as you're interested and put in some effort, there's little risk modding you're involved with will totally "die" before you do.

I don't harbor any intrinsic hatred of Civ5 and would be very happy if DLL changes make it more possible to create enjoyable total conversion mods using Civ5. I think the efforts of serious Civ5 modders including Pazyryk, Spatzimaus and others are actually very inspiring and promising. The fact that there are so few true conversion mods of Civ5 and things seem to have been made very difficult for these modders indicates that the Civ5 platform needs to change before it can reach anywhere near the promise of "the most moddable Civ ever". Let's hope that people working with the DLL may be able to remove a lot of the hardcoding and begin to rectify some of the other existing problems, I'll certainly keep an open mind and be interested in what happens post-DLL release.

Top Bottom