1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What would your local wonder be?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dotsworthy, Oct 25, 2019.

1. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Wow that's really beautiful, how did I manage to miss that when I was there? Well, now I have a reason to go back (apart from visiting my cousin!)

2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Interesting! Putting aside the obligatory complaints about the trains these days, I think a railraids-based wonder for NYC would actually be pretty appropriate. Something related to the Vanderbilts perhaps. Or maybe make it civ 5-like... cities connected by railroads to this wonder get +25% gold, or something like that.

Knightfall and Imaus like this.
  3. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

MHO. Kronberg castle is apples-to-apples better than Rosenborg. And I would call it local, since you can hop.on a metro rail and go right there. Rosenborg gets its reps because that's where the crown jewels are.

But doesn't matter: for Copenhagen I would pick Tivoli. Souped up water park (though technically not on the water).

kaspergm likes this.
  4. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I did see Kronborg, it was definitely a fun half-day trip.

5. darkace77450

darkace77450 King

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Noble Zarkon likes this.
  6. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Warlord

Can these proposals be sarcastic? If so, the Warsaw, Poland wonder might be:

The Palace on the Water, provides bonus culture, but drains your treasury and reduces the number of military units you can have, and lowers their combat strength.

Background: the building was remodelled into a sumptous pleasure palace from an older park pavillion by the last Polish king, Stanisław. That guy indulged in such projects, and organised art and culture seminars, while the country was falling apart all around him, reduced to insignificance, and finally got cannibalised by its three neighbors, who divided it between themselves without the king even putting up a fight.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_on_the_Isle

Another Warsaw landmark is the Palace of Culture and Science which is a symbol of Soviet dominance from the 1950s. It is a truly impressive building, but it is also a monument to Poland being a Soviet puppet back in those days. And they demolished several city blocks to build it. So how about: may only be located replacing an existing district. Provides diplomatic victory points to your strongest opponent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Culture_and_Science

We've also ruined our environment so no strong candidate for a natural wonder around these parts.

7. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Monas, Jakarta

EDIT: Meant to think of a power for it but forgot then posted it. Any ideas people familiar with Monas?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  8. Ezerin

Ezerin Chieftain

Haifa, Bahai Gardens

9. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Gt two:
    Artificial/National Wonder:
    Seattle's Space Needle

- Which should give Tourism, of course, but also Science - the original 1962 World's Fair it was built for was technology themed, and there is still a futuristic Monorail leading from downtown to the Needle.

And Natural Wonder: Mount Rainier

- Which really should be given the Native name: Mount Tahoma, or "The White Mother", giving Religious and Cultural points, and a Great Place for a National Park!

10. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Chieftain

Well I'd aim for entire country in my case rather than city.

Boynice Castle
    +2 Culture to each Zoo. +2 Tourism to each Zoo in city with Renaissance Walls. +1 Amenity to each city within 6 plots. Must be built on Hill adjacent to Entertainment Complex with Zoo.

OR

Matica Slovenská
    +1 Loyalty per Turn from Great Works of Writing. Fully Loyal cities get +5% Science and +5% Culture. Must be built on flat plot adjacent to City Center of city that currently has the highest Culture yield.

But If you were to force me to choose from my town

Bytča Chateau
    You may choose one opponent who will be accused of bathing in blood of freshly killed young female virgins, removing them from game. You will then feel regret and yourself will be removed from game after next 30 turns. This Wonder will then start dealing 50 damage to each unit that ends its turn on adjacent tile due to neglect. Must be built on flat land adjacent to dirty River.

11. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Wow, there really are a lot of pretty pictures in this thread. The closest thing to me that I can think of for a wonder would probably be the Everett Mills which was, at one time, the longest mill in the world. It was the site of the Bread And Roses strike and poet Robert Frost worked there.

Jeppetto likes this.
  12. pkaem

pkaem Chieftain

No real wonder, but we got a unique entertainment district called St. Pauli / Reeperbahn. ;)

Victoria likes this.
  13. cosmicmangobear

cosmicmangobear Chieftain

As a native Texan, I have plenty to choose from! I’m still holding out for an independent Republic of Texas civ, but until then here goes.

World Wonder: The Alamo

Historical Info: A Spanish mission in San Antonio that served as an important battle site during the Texan War of Independence.
    Game Info: Units within 3 tiles of the Alamo inflict 50% more damage to enemy units. The Alamo also begins generating Culture and Tourism after discovering Nationalism civic.

National Wonder: State Fair

Historical Info: An annual festival in Dallas with rides, food, and games that attracts millions of visitors each year.
    Game Info: Can only have one per empire. Generates gold, food, and amenities. Must be built adjacent to an Entertainment Complex.

Natural Wonder: Big Bend

Historical Info: Big Bend is a National Park in West Texas that boasts a wide range of flora, fauna, and unique geological formations.
    Game Info: Upon being converted to a National Park, civilian units are able to traverse the previously impassable terrain.

TeddyMain and ferretbacon like this.
  14. kryat

kryat Prince

upload_2019-10-28_13-13-18.jpeg

Smithsonian Museum
    Must be built next to government plaza. Provides +5% extra culture and science empire wide and 1 amenity in each city. These values are doubled if next to built next to a campus with a university or a theater square with a museum, or tripled if next to both.

15. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Not sure, but the in-game Ruhr Valley wonder could have just as easily been a Pittsburgh wonder, whether based on Carnegie steel or the George Westinghouse factories, etc.

Knightfall likes this.
  16. darkace77450

darkace77450 King

I wish the Water Park's buildings went Ferris Wheel -> Roller Coaster -> Aquarium. I understand why they went the route they did, but aesthetically, I'd take the Cyclone over an Aquatics Center any day of the week.

iammaxhailme likes this.
  17. Roy P Cat

Roy P Cat Chieftain

The Raurimu Spiral is a section of the North Island's Main Trunk Railway in New Zealand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raurimu_Spiral

It must be built on a mountain, in the industrial era. On completion trade routes will completed faster and builders would be able to construct railroads.

18. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Australia: Larry the Big Red Lobster.
    +2 food bonus for every fishing boat on crab resource within 4 hexes.
    +1 additional Surf'n'Turf food bonus for every cattle resource within 2 hexes.
    +1 If also adjacent to coastal citrus plantation.
    +5 "Pincer Manoeuvre" combat bonus to defenders.
    larrythelobster2.jpg

Buthera, CoconutTank, Bagfran and 7 others like this.
  19. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station

Per wikipedia: The Palo Verde Generating Station is the largest power plant in the United States by net generation. The Palo Verde Generating Station is located in the Arizona desert, and is the only large nuclear power plant in the world that is not located near a large body of water. The power plant evaporates the water from the treated sewage from several nearby cities and towns to provide the cooling of the steam that it produces.

Atomic Age Wonder. Must be built on desert. Provides electricity, +5 production and +5 gold to every city within 6 hexes.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Knightfall and Ferocitus like this.
  20. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

+1 "Transmutation" gold bonus for every iron, silver and copper resource within 6 hexes. :)