What would your local wonder be?

Pfft all you guys with cathedrals that are like a thousand years old, or epic castles, or architecture that boggles the mind.
But do ANY of you have a pair of steel balls in your main mall? No? I didn't think so.
Behold the amazing Mall's Balls of Rundle Mall, Adelaide.
Why do we have them? No-one knows for sure, but scholars maintain that they were the balls of Atlas himself and he stood on that very spot holding up the heavens until he was forced to flee by a scary magpie during swooping season.

So what benefit, gamewise, would this funky, modern pop art gimmick have? :p

Well, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a wonder, since there's a lot of negativity around it's construction and continued existence, but

I'd say it IS the visual and touristic trademark of our city, so:

upload_2019-11-2_14-41-17.jpeg

Montreal's 1976 Olympic Stadium. During the games, it could house over 100,000 spectators

So what benefit, gamewise, would this funky, modern pop art gimmick have? :p
Well I think it's pretty obvious.

- Can only be built in a city size 6 or smaller
- Provides +0.25 to culture per turn
- Citizens of the city now use the phrase "I'll meet you at the balls"

Here is the local wonder where I'm at, for at least two semesters out of the year. Can't tell you where it is, or I would have to obliviate you:

Effects:
- Can only be built on a Mountain tile next to Stonehenge.
- Upon completing Hogwarts, you first realize that the barbarian camps are who in fact have been running the game all along.
- New Government type "Magic Ministry". All wildcard slots.
- Unlocks Great Person type "Wizards". They have brooms, which let them fly onto Mountain tiles.
- Awards defensive bonuses as if a fort were in that hex.
- Completes the Eureka for Flight.

My place is quite young industrial city with almost no remarkable sites. There are/were two (one of them is destroyed by city architect) my favourites buildings: Oskar Schoen Palace from 20th century (for some time city court):
oskar_schoen_palace.JPG

and destroyed power plant (do not check google how it looks now, please):
electric_power_plant.JPG

There is also castle from XV or XVIth century, and another palace... But I choose Power Plant: can only be built on plains, any nearby coal mine give: +2 population, +1 amenity.

I'm somewhere between Stonehenge and Oxford University. An alternative would be this one:

Roman Baths
- Requires Aqueduct. Must be built next to a geothermal fissure.
- Gives free Amenities for nearby cities and Tourism once Sanitation is unlocked.
- Units within one tile heal 100% per turn.

Here is the local wonder where I'm at, for at least two semesters out of the year. Can't tell you where it is, or I would have to obliviate you:

Effects:
- Can only be built on a Mountain tile next to Stonehenge.
- Upon completing Hogwarts, you first realize that the barbarian camps are who in fact have been running the game all along.
- New Government type "Magic Ministry". All wildcard slots.
- Unlocks Great Person type "Wizards". They have brooms, which let them fly onto Mountain tiles.
- Awards defensive bonuses as if a fort were in that hex.
- Completes the Eureka for Flight.

I suppose, you also have to fight off a boss GDR unit at the end of each era? A bit way too OP otherwise ;)

My place is quite young industrial city with almost no remarkable sites. There are/were two (one of them is destroyed by city architect) my favourites buildings: Oskar Schoen Palace from 20th century (for some time city court):
View attachment 538268
and destroyed power plant (do not check google how it looks now, please):
View attachment 538269
There is also castle from XV or XVIth century, and another palace... But I choose Power Plant: can only be built on plains, any nearby coal mine give: +2 population, +1 amenity.

Since when do architects DESTROY landmark buildings? There must be a hell of a story behind that...

I'm in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Loads of possibilities:
Royal Palace on Dam Square (but is already used as dutch palace in game though):
Maybe the Rijksmuseum on Museum Square:
Lots of tourist go to the Red Light district though on the canals and the coffeeshops:
But I doubt those get a wonder LOL.
More serious ones would be the Anne Frankhouse or the Rembrandt house.

I'm somewhere between Stonehenge and Oxford University. An alternative would be this one:

Roman Baths
- Requires Aqueduct. Must be built next to a geothermal fissure.
- Gives free Amenities for nearby cities and Tourism once Sanitation is unlocked.
- Units within one tile heal 100% per turn.

I’m pretty sure Firaxis’ artists used the modern reconstructed baths in Bath as inspiration for the unique district in the game.

With the statues standing sentinel around an open pool, it resembles Bath more than a classical Roman bath complex such as those of Caracalla or Zeuxippus, or even a reconstruction should of what Aquae Sulis would have looked like.

I’m pretty sure Firaxis’ artists used the modern reconstructed baths in Bath as inspiration for the unique district in the game.

With the statues standing sentinel around an open pool, it resembles Bath more than a classical Roman bath complex such as those of Caracalla or Zeuxippus, or even a reconstruction should of what Aquae Sulis would have looked like.

The sentinel statues are supposed to guard the nude bathers from Celtic raiders who weren't wearing MUCH more... :p

My local one would be Tower Bridge, but personally I'd prefer the four tower replica in Suzhou:

Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, Ukraine
Not the most attrective sight, but, definetely, very meaningful. It is a lasting reminder to humanity of possible outcomes if humans interfere in nature.

The Underground City of Montreal. Largest underground transit system of the world, this thing has 32 kilometers of roads connecting many parts of Montreal, mainly downtown.

Cold temperatures and heavy snow from winter season is a big reason of this construction. You can litterally go almost anywhere without going outside a single time. It's quite fun it's like a city inside a city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_City,_Montreal

Carte Montreal Souterrain - Underground City Map - Inside.png

The Underground city(Industrial era Wonder)

+3 housing
+5 gold
+20% tourism in city built
(suggestions?)

Apple Park, Cupertino, CA, USA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Park

This is Apple's new HQ building, now home to some 12,000 employees. Officially known as Apple Campus 2 during construction, but locally dubbed the "spaceship" when plans for the building were announced.
Built on 175 acres (75 hectares) of land closed to the public. (Only the Visitor Center, across the street, is open to the public.)
The ring is 1,512 feet (461 m) in diameter. (Bigger than the Pentagon!) My house is less than that far from the outer edge, so I think it qualifies as "local" for me!
Apple celebrated its grand opening with a private Lady Gaga concert in the 30 acre (12 hectare) courtyard this past Spring. (The concert was for employees only, but I could hear that it was Gaga from my back yard.)
The site is self-powered by solar panels on the roof of the ring and a large parking garage on the site (just below this picture), and fuel cells that run on biogas or natural gas.
The site was formerly home to 2 R&D campuses, and they closed a road that used to run between them. (A sore point for us neighbors.)
Like Google and Facebook, Apple runs a fleet of private buses that bring employees from San Francisco and other surrounding cities.
This practice has notoriously driven up the cost of housing throughout the area.
OTOH, Apple employees and customers are famously loyal to the company and its products.

Obviously an Information Era wonder.
Unlocks with Optimization Imperative Civic (which requires both Globalization and Social Media)
Base cost: 2,014 Production
Must be built on plains or grassland (no hills), with a Campus with a Research Lab. (It replaces the Campus.)
Removes roads on the tile. :D

+100 Gold per turn
+10 Science per turn
+1 Culture per turn
+1 Faith per turn
+3 Great Merchant ppt
+1 Loyalty
-1 Housing
-1 Appeal
Grants +1 Production to Factories in allied Civs half-way around the world. :D
Does not require, or provide, power.

The unique Great Merchant Steve Jobs appears in the city where built.
Steve Jobs grants additional +100 Gold per turn each time he is activated in a Commercial Hub with a Bank on a different continent (max 1 per continent). :mischief:

You can activate a Rock Band with the "Pop Star" promotion on Apple Park, but the concert grants 0 Tourism! :mischief:

Only available when playing the Mac or iPad version of the game. :lol:

So I'm obviously kidding in part here, but I kinda like the idea of late game wonders that replace districts, grant a mix of yields, and have some other trade-offs.

Top Bottom