What would your local wonder be?

Well London already has its fair share of wonders, but another good local one that should be in the game is the Crystal Palace:-
Spoiler The Crystal Palace :

Originally built to house the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park, it was relocated to South London, where it stood until it sadly burned to the ground in 1934. A true marvel of Industrial Era engineering, it was three times the size of St Paul's Cathedral, its construction aided by novel manufacturing techniques to mass-produce cheap strong sheets of glass.

Spinning off from the "how old is your country?' thread, it got me thinking about what wonders from my home city I would put forward into a theoretical civ game. As someone who hails from Newcastle UK:

Baltic Flour Mill
A factory type building that provides production in the industrial age with added culture and tourism from the modern era onwards.

St.James Park
Similar to the Maracana and would provide amenities and gold to the appropriate city.

West Edmonton Mall, I guess. :S

For my home town San Diego, CA:
Miramar: Top Gun Training Academy
Functions as an Aeordrome with 3 aircraft capacity and immediately creates 2 maintenance-free jetfighters. All aircraft trained in this city or stationed at Miramar gain a permanent +10 combat strength in all situations.

Last edited:
For my home town San Diego, CA:
Miramar: Top Gun Training Academy
Functions as an Aeordrome with 3 aircraft capacity and immediately creates 2 maintenance-free jetfighters. All aircraft trained in this city or stationed at Miramar gain a permanent +10 combat strength in all situations.

I think your zoo is more impressive, myself.

In the Salt Lake valley I'd say either the

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Temple in downtown SLC at Temple Square adjacent to the world headquarters.

or the Bingham Canyon (Kennecott) Copper Mine located at the mountain range on the western edge of the valley. Largest man-made excavation in the world and has produced more copper than any other mine in history.

Of course Utah state as a whole also has many natural wonders and national parks - among them are the Bonneville Salt Flats, Zion, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, & Arches (already in-game represented by Delicate Arch).

In the Salt Lake valley I'd say either the

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Temple in downtown SLC at Temple Square adjacent to the world headquarters.

or the Bingham Canyon (Kennecott) Copper Mine located at the mountain range on the western edge of the valley. Largest man-made excavation in the world and has produced more copper than any other mine in history.

Of course Utah state as a whole also has many natural wonders and national parks - among them are the Bonneville Salt Flats, Zion, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, & Arches (already in-game represented by Delicate Arch).

I was in Salt Lake City for about half-an-hour in December, 1998, on a transfer between Edmonton and Los Angeles (it was Delta Airlines in the '90's), and, though I didn't leave the airport, I remember a full-sized holographic image of the then Church President of the LDS church and, out the big, full-length windows, I could see the mountains, and the first snow that year had hit Utah before it hit way up in Edmonton...

I could see the mountains, and the first snow that year had hit Utah before it hit way up in Edmonton...
The first mountain snow hit a few weeks ago and the first few flakes of valley snow yesterday. We're supposed to be in the 50's, but have been hovering in the 20's & 30's for a few days now. :snowcool:

Red Rocks Amphitheater! A world famous concert venue built into the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

Must be built on hills adjacent to mountain tiles. All rock bands +1 promotion or all rock bands gain 25% chance of NOT retiring.

Attachments

• 33D15035-28F0-4B53-B3E7-676CF8E0FEAC.jpeg
    33D15035-28F0-4B53-B3E7-676CF8E0FEAC.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 257
Since everyone else brought pictures, I shall.

Hoover/Boulder Dam:
acts as a hydroelectric dam (+6 renewable power) to all cities within 10 tiles.
Must be built on existing dam

and I forgot the obvious one. I want to make a wonder with a negative effect. I don't think we have any in game.

Las Vegas strip:
+14 gold
+3 great merchant points per turn
-6 culture
Must be built on flat desert adjacent to city center

As for natural wonders, nothing particularly close. Though we do have plenty of red rocks in the area, but so does much of Southern Utah. Delicate arch is in the game, but we do have other National parks not too far like Grand Canyon and Death Valley. Not to mention Sequia National Park and Yosemite.
I've already seen mods including Grand Canyon, for something different lets go with Death Valley. Though the game already has a couple desert natural wonders.

Death Valley
+2 culture to adjacent tiles
Land units granted 50% reduction to movement cost in desert tiles to land units when moving into Death Valley for the first time and +3 strength when fighting in desert or desert hills.

Last edited:
This Gentleman is a no brainer Wonder for Warsaw, Poland:

Palace of Culture and Science. Stalin's gift for Warsaw.
Many people in Warsaw don't like this building as a symbol of oppression and communism dominance in Poland after WW2. Today especially among younger people it is just a landmark and relic of hard history.
In my opinion, the Royal Castle of Warsaw would be a better option. Why?

A building itself maybe is not very impressive, but it presents a very impressive history. History of a "city which survived its own death". After World War II 80% of Warsaw was destroyed. The old part of the city "Starówka" established in 13 century and very medieval/renaissance in character was rebuilt from old paintings. Royal Castle is the last part of the reconstruction project rebuilt in 1983. Since 1980 Old Town Warsaw is a UNESCO World Heritage Site as "an outstanding example of a near-total reconstruction of a span of history covering the 13th to the 20th century.
Adopting this story to Civilization Game
Royal Castle of Warsaw must be adjacent to City Center
All Cities in your empire grain Rebuild Project if at least 3 buildings was damaged. Rebuild all buildings and title improvements in a City border. When Project is finished City grain +4 culture and +4 loyalty. (This effect cannot stack)

This Gentleman is a no brainer Wonder for Warsaw, Poland:

Palace of Culture and Science. Stalin's gift for Warsaw.
Many people in Warsaw don't like this building as a symbol of oppression and communism dominance in Poland after WW2. Today especially among younger people it is just a landmark and relic of hard history.
In my opinion, the Royal Castle of Warsaw would be a better option. Why?

A building itself maybe is not very impressive, but it presents a very impressive history. History of a "city which survived its own death". After World War II 80% of Warsaw was destroyed. The old part of the city "Starówka" established in 13 century and very medieval/renaissance in character was rebuilt from old paintings. Royal Castle is the last part of the reconstruction project rebuilt in 1983. Since 1980 Old Town Warsaw is a UNESCO World Heritage Site as "an outstanding example of a near-total reconstruction of a span of history covering the 13th to the 20th century.
Adopting this story to Civilization Game
Royal Castle of Warsaw must be adjacent to City Center
All Cities in your empire grain Rebuild Project if at least 3 buildings was damaged. Rebuild all buildings and title improvements in a City border. When Project is finished City grain +4 culture and +4 loyalty. (This effect cannot stack)

What about your old radio tower that was, until it's accident in 1992, the tallest man-made structure in the world?

What about your old radio tower that was, until it's accident in 1992, the tallest man-made structure in the world?
I live in Warsaw all my life and the first time I heard about this tower was just a few years ago :) When it comes to radio tower around Warsaw I was always thinking about Tower in Raszyn just outside Warsaw, which is 335 meters high.
So it is not a first or even second thing which comes to mind when you think about Warsaw, to be honest.

I don't recall ever seeing this either. Strange.

I looked it up, it's definitely in there. Now I really want to just keep restarting games until I see it. I could use the cheat mod just to pre-check all the maps I guess.

Pfft all you guys with cathedrals that are like a thousand years old, or epic castles, or architecture that boggles the mind.
But do ANY of you have a pair of steel balls in your main mall? No? I didn't think so.
Behold the amazing Mall's Balls of Rundle Mall, Adelaide.
Why do we have them? No-one knows for sure, but scholars maintain that they were the balls of Atlas himself and he stood on that very spot holding up the heavens until he was forced to flee by a scary magpie during swooping season.

Last edited:

Pfft all you guys with cathedrals that are like a thousand years old, or epic castles, or architecture that boggles the mind.
But do ANY of you have a pair of steel balls in your main mall? No? I didn't think so.
Behold the amazing Mall's Balls of Rundle Mall, Adelaide.
Why do we have them? No-one knows for sure, but scholars maintain that they were the balls of Atlas himself and he stood on that very spot holding up the heavens until he was forced to flee by a scary magpie during swooping season.

Wait If we play this game Brno has a monument to accompany your balls

Top Bottom