1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What would your local wonder be?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dotsworthy, Oct 25, 2019.

1. smvalentine

smvalentine Chieftain Supporter

Apple Park, Cupertino, CA, USA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Park

This is Apple's new HQ building, now home to some 12,000 employees. Officially known as Apple Campus 2 during construction, but locally dubbed the "spaceship" when plans for the building were announced.
    Built on 175 acres (75 hectares) of land closed to the public. (Only the Visitor Center, across the street, is open to the public.)
    The ring is 1,512 feet (461 m) in diameter. (Bigger than the Pentagon!) My house is less than that far from the outer edge, so I think it qualifies as "local" for me!
    Apple celebrated its grand opening with a private Lady Gaga concert in the 30 acre (12 hectare) courtyard this past Spring. (The concert was for employees only, but I could hear that it was Gaga from my back yard.)
    The site is self-powered by solar panels on the roof of the ring and a large parking garage on the site (just below this picture), and fuel cells that run on biogas or natural gas.
    The site was formerly home to 2 R&D campuses, and they closed a road that used to run between them. (A sore point for us neighbors.)
    Like Google and Facebook, Apple runs a fleet of private buses that bring employees from San Francisco and other surrounding cities.
    This practice has notoriously driven up the cost of housing throughout the area.
    OTOH, Apple employees and customers are famously loyal to the company and its products.

Obviously an Information Era wonder.
    Unlocks with Optimization Imperative Civic (which requires both Globalization and Social Media)
    Base cost: 2,014 Production
    Must be built on plains or grassland (no hills), with a Campus with a Research Lab. (It replaces the Campus.)
    Removes roads on the tile. :D

+100 Gold per turn
    +10 Science per turn
    +1 Culture per turn
    +1 Faith per turn
    +3 Great Merchant ppt
    +1 Loyalty
    -1 Housing
    -1 Appeal
    Grants +1 Production to Factories in allied Civs half-way around the world. :D
    Does not require, or provide, power.

The unique Great Merchant Steve Jobs appears in the city where built.
    Steve Jobs grants additional +100 Gold per turn each time he is activated in a Commercial Hub with a Bank on a different continent (max 1 per continent). :mischief:

You can activate a Rock Band with the "Pop Star" promotion on Apple Park, but the concert grants 0 Tourism! :mischief:

Only available when playing the Mac or iPad version of the game. :lol:

So I'm obviously kidding in part here, but I kinda like the idea of late game wonders that replace districts, grant a mix of yields, and have some other trade-offs.

SlySlySly, Uberfrog, Pure24 and 4 others like this.
  2. tedhebert

tedhebert King

3. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Guadalajara, Mexico.

Local wonder would most likely be Hospicio Cabañas. It was originally an orhpanage and hospital later turned into a cultural center, and It's interior i completely covered in mural paintings, pretty cool place to visit actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospicio_Cabañas

Spoiler Exterior :

Spoiler Interior :

Spoiler Painted dome :

SlySlySly, xxhe, Uberfrog and 2 others like this.
  4. Francel

Francel Chieftain

upload_2019-11-12_14-4-40.jpeg
    Kill Devil Hills near Kitty Hawk NC, where the first airplane flew. A possible natural wonder? Would be coastal and likely provide science and/or great engineer points.
    A built wonder such as Wright Memorial might somehow buff planes range/strength or plane capacity.

5. Lanthar

Lanthar SPQR

An interesting world wonder: The Lake Washington Floating Bridges. Floating concrete bridges. Can only be built across one or two lake tiles. There are two of them currently, with the newest one adding in the world's only light rail tracks on a floating bridge for the commuter rail here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_Point_Floating_Bridge
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_M._Hadley_Memorial_Bridge

Natural Wonder:
    Temperate Rain Forests

https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/temperate-rain-forest.htm

6. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Totally. I can see why the Wright Brothers chose that site out of anywhere they found. It has those sand dunes for the soft landing, and those sand dune hills. And it was consistently windy, but not too windy. Like you could fly a kite. Then later, Orville Wright piloted the first fatal plane crash, and it was not at Kittyhawk.

Of course, KDH, Kittyhawk, Nags Head, all that are also Seaside Resorts.

7. Francel

Francel Chieftain

A two tile “outer banks” natural wonder would be fun. I personally think it is a beautiful area, but I am not sure how it compares to the wonders already in the game.

WillowBrook likes this.
  8. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

A barrier island feature. You get 1 tile of coast, followed by 1 tile-deep of flat desert, followed by more coast. Possibly a nice Golden Gate spot.

9. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

The Fortress
    Medieval Era Wonder

• Doubles All Hockey Rink Effects built in Empire
    • Creates or Upgrades Walls in all cities
    • +5 Production
    • +3 Housing
    • +2 Citizen slot
    • +5 Great General points per turn
    • All current land units gain a promotion level.
    fortress.jpg

10. Flaxton

Flaxton Warlord

My nearest actual is Big Ben. But if I was to introduce one it would be : The Crystal Palace, Great Exhibition of 1852. Affects: +1 trade route and caravan, +2 gold per suzerain status, +3 merchant point and triggers a Great Exhibition competition where the top prize is diplomatic points.

SlySlySly, WillowBrook and Bagfran like this.
  11. PurpleHaze34

PurpleHaze34 Chieftain

I'm in Louisville KY, I think my closest would be Fort Knox.

Jeppetto likes this.
  12. Mediocrity

Mediocrity Chieftain

I suppose the closest wonder for me would be the Erie Canal, and also Niagara Falls.

13. TeddyMain

TeddyMain Chieftain

Considering I live around Houston, I can think of a couple.

1. Rice University (Modern Era: +12 Science, +2 Housing, Boosts Nanotechnology and Smart Materials, +4 Diplo Favor, 25% Production bonus to all Space Race Projects, +4 Great Scientist Points, Must be built next to a Campus with a University on flat land)

2. Menil Collection (Information Era: +12 Culture, 4 GWaA and Artifact Slots, Can hold both Great Works of Art and Artifacts, and when filled is automatically themed, Neighborhoods built adjacent yield +3 culture, +4 Great Artist Points, must be built next to a Theater Square with Art/Archaeological Museum on flat land)

3. Rothko Chapel (Atomic Era: +10 Faith, 2 Great Works of Art Slots; When built, attain all follower beliefs of all religions on the cylinder, regardless of if the religion is present in your civ; +2 Great Works of Art Slots, Must be built next to a Holy Site)

For Natural Wonders, It isn't around the Houston area, but I could say Enchanted Rock could work.

(Can be found in Plains Hills, +3 Faith to surrounding tiles, Units on Enchanted Rock are invisible to all non-adjacent units)

Jeppetto likes this.
  14. Patine

Patine Deity

Isn't it actually empty?

15. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

An ancient wonder from near where I grew up would be the Uffington White Horse, for my (not impartial) money the most impressive of the hill figures in England, and I believe the only one to date to the Bronze Age.

I don’t know how well known it is, but it crops up now and again (it had a cameo in Cowboy Bebop and features in Forza Horizon 4). Even Pokémon Sword and Shield have a hill figure, but its anthropomorphic form more resembles a (censored!) Cerne Abbas Giant.

Spoiler Uffington White Horse :

SlySlySly, Victoria and Flaxton like this.
  16. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

Probably Lower Vítkovice - a national site of industrial heritage located in Ostrava in the Czech Republic. It includes an extensive industrial area Vítkovice ironworks with a unique collection of industrial architecture. A set of three successive parts - coal mine, coke ovens and blast furnace operations. The area is registered in the list of European cultural heritage. (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Vítkovice).
    Some parts are 191 years old, and it hasn't been in use for the last 20 years - fortunatelly most of the buildings were not demolished and now it's a museum.

(image taken from: https://www.eprogram.cz/mista/48-dolni-oblast-vitkovice)

And the second option, which is a bit further from the place where I live but still in the same country and still accessible in like 3 hours:
    The Prague Castle is a castle complex in Prague, Czech Republic, built in the 9th century. It is the official office of the President of the Czech Republic. The castle was a seat of power for kings of Bohemia, Holy Roman emperors, and presidents of Czechoslovakia. The Bohemian Crown Jewels are kept within a hidden room inside it.
    According to the Guinness Book of Records, Prague Castle is the largest ancient castle in the world, occupying an area of almost 70,000 square metres (750,000 square feet), at about 570 metres (1,870 feet) in length and an average of about 130 metres (430 feet) wide. (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Castle)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  17. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

This castle is a beauty. I like creepy castles.

18. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Chieftain

I get a free fireworks show every night in the summer and most weekends.

SlySlySly and WillowBrook like this.
  19. Patine

Patine Deity

Anyone here from Northwestern Romania so we can get the castle that inspired Bram Stoker's of Dracula's residence (which apparently is still standing, and was up for sale several years ago).

20. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Chieftain

Places I've lived:
    Rural Ohio
    Colorado Springs
    Rural Mississippi
    Rural Delaware
    Rural New York
    Wichita, Kansas

As such, I didn't think I had much to choose from, since the US Air Force Academy is sort of represented by the military academy building. But then I remembered the other military base in Colorado Springs:

I'm thinking a bonus to nuclear attacks and lower damage from incoming attacks, and like Machu Picchu, has to be built on a mountain.

EDIT: next to an encampment with a military academy :lol:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    smvalentine likes this.